Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Told off another customer... Sorry not sorry!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Told off another customer... Sorry not sorry!

I've been working longer hours recently and the strain's beginning to take a toll, both mentally & physically. This means that my give-a-shit-o-meter has been strained to breaking... And this morning, it leaked a bit.

This particular customer has an accent and a slight speech impediment, so I have to make sure I've heard them correctly before answering. This seems to have given them the impression that I'm simple, as they always ask double or triple-barrelled questions but repeat the unanswered part as soon as pause to take a breath between answers. Today was no exception. "How much is it to go to X, and how much is it to go & come back?"

{pulls up single fare in system} "Well, a single is £Y, and..." {backs out of the single fare and starts pulling up the return fare - yes, it's a shitty design but I didn't write the software.}

"How much to go and come back?"

"You know, just once it would be nice if you let me finish what I'm saying. You do this every time, it's very rude."

*blink blink*

I think she was under the shared delusion many sucktomers have that we peons are incapable of remembering anything, let alone whether or not they've been in before. To her credit, she looked suitable chastened and did let me answer all her other enquiries completely. Time will tell if she remembers this for next time...

I mean, it's not just me, is it? If you ask a 2-part question, and someone dangles a participle in their reply to indicate that they're still answering but making a brief pause, you don't immediately jump in!

This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

I run into that a lot with my customers. It is sooo frustrating.

I try to be patient, but once in a while I have to say things like, "I'm getting to that screen. Give me a second."
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

To get there, turn here then there and then there... Ok, now turn here... now turn there... and now turn there.

All. The damn. Time.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Yes, this! You don't know how many times I hang up after finishing with a customer and mutter, "Shut up and let me TALK, dammit!"
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I hate that as well. When it gets to the point where I can't get a word in, I usually start saying over and over, "hello, hello, hello..." And when they finally stop talking, I'll tell them, "In order for this to be called a conversation, you have to let ME speak."
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I think I've gotten rude. Many of my customers want to tell me their life story, when I only need certain questions answered. Me: Are you working? SC: Well, I was working here but my boss blah, blah, blah so I started working there and they didn't give me enough hours/too many hours/wrong...Me (cutting in): Are you currently working? SC: No, but I'm applying here and there and the oth...Me (cutting in again): OK, you aren't working, how are you paying your bills?

I'm timed on my interviews. I don't have time to listen to all the bullshit stories that I've heard over and over. Just answer my questions, damnit!

Comment

Had someone call me who said they were from a college referral service (apparently I'd clicked on something I shouldn't have) and she stuck to the script no matter what I said. She started with a cheery "How are you today?" I had a bad case of bronchitis and said so with what voice I was able to muster. Her response was,"I'm so glad to hear that." Really? Then, as the call proceeded she wouldn't let me have a word in edgeways until I had to rudely interrupt her and say flatly, "Look, I clicked on something by mistake! So let me hang up and stop wasting your time!" Not only did I feel rotten, I was peeved that she wouldn't listen to a thing I was saying. I gave her a moment to respond, and when she didn't I hung up. Apparently she got the message, because I haven't heard from that program since.
              Last edited by Sparklyturtle; 07-09-2016, 09:00 PM. Reason: left out an important word

Comment

Oh gods. I had a serious bout of flu & pneumonia (off for 6 weeks!) right as my cellphone plan hit the re-up cycle. I just couldn't catch my breath to speak, so I couldn't tell them to be fruitful & multiply until about the 8th call of the week... Luckily that rep put a couple months' hold on calls for me!
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I get something somewhat similar, where I'll open the drive thru window and say 'hi there, it's-'
                  'how much is it?'
                  pisses me off so much.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                    Had someone call me who said they were from a college referral service (apparently I'd clicked on something I shouldn't have) and she stuck to the script no matter what I said. She started with a cheery "How are you today?" I had a bad case of bronchitis and said so with what voice I was able to muster. Her response was,"I'm so glad to hear that." Really? Then, as the call proceeded she wouldn't let me have a word in edgeways until I had to rudely interrupt her and say flatly, "Look, I clicked on something by mistake! So let me hang up and stop wasting your time!" Not only did I feel rotten, I was peeved that she wouldn't listen to a thing I was saying. I gave her a moment to respond, and when she didn't I hung up. Apparently she got the message, because I haven't heard from that program since.
                    I've had calls like that. I think they are the latest generation of computer generated calls. They start out sounding like a live person, but it quickly becomes apparent to me that they are a programmed recording.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've had those moment too. I get users who constantly talk over me (which annoys me on a politeness level anyway. Mind your manners, asshole!).
                      I stop, let them re-ask the same question the 20th time in the 40th iteration, and then once they pause for breath I reply tersely "As I was attempting to say... " and then if they start up I just keep going.
                      Only once, have I had to channel the drill instructor voice.
                      "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                      Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        "You know, just once it would be nice if you let me finish what I'm saying. You do this every time, it's very rude."
                        Once again, these SCs remind me perfectly of my kids. Little Shirts will ask a question. I'll give the first sentence of the answer. Knowing that my answer is incomplete or contains new things he doesn't know about yet, I take a breath to continue, but even as the last syllable of the last word of that first sentence is still hanging in the air, he's started asking the follow-up question that I'm just about to answer.

Fortunately, I have four years of retail sales under my belt, so I'm mostly prepared to deal with this behavior.
                        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                        - IPF

Comment

Working...
                        X