This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sink or swim time

A few years ago I got hired at my first ever fast food job. This place is known for their "fresh made biscuits". This particular one is on a major commuter road and the meeting place for all local retirees. From 6:30 - 8:30 it is packed. I show up at 6, get shown how to verify my drawer count, a 10 minute crash course on the register and then the lead went in back to do "paperwork" aka smoke. I worked the counter, one worked drive thru and 2 cooks.

I had to enter the order, take money, call out special orders (all the retirees had special orders), bag the food with utensils and condiments, hand out food and drinks with a line that zig zagged through the lobby and out the door. Even someone who had worked there years could not keep up with that. After 5 days the lead tells me I am not picking up on the register fast enough I need to start coming in at 4 am to make biscuits. Umm...no. Not what I signed on for not what I was hired for. So she left me on register.

One week later a couple of people filled out comment cards saying I was good at my job and always polite and smiling but I needed help at the counter. When I pulled my drawer to take to the office I saw them in the trash.

Weird thing is my lead was a carbon copy of my warehouse supervisor. Both women offered no training and spent all day smoking and gossiping. At least I had no customers at the warehouse job.

I hope you pulled the cards out of the trash.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Even if handed in they'd be ignored...

Comment

My training at my first job (as a housekeeper) was being shown how to clean one room, being given a clipboard of dirty rooms, and told to go to work. They were severely short-staffed. We were supposed to clean a room in 20 minutes; it was taking me 45 minutes per room that first day. Fortunately I did manage to pick it up quickly and did get some more training later when they weren't desperately swamped.

When my ex's supervisor wanted to fire him, she pulled him from maintenance (where he'd been hired), threw him on grill with ZERO training, and then fired him for making too many mistakes.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
        X