X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy morning at work

I had a crappy morning at work today.

I worked from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. today

The grocery story I work at has a mix and match deal where you can buy 5 of a specific item on sale for the week, but there is a limit of 5 per day of whatever item(s) you buy. I have not dealt with enough customers who abused the policy until today. Since has rarely happened, I do not remember what the policy is unless there is written documentation of it at the register. Plus the registers are not programmed to recognize when you buy more than 5 of a specific item.

Today I dealt with several Spanish speaking customers who claimed they did not understand the entire deal. Since I do not speak Spanish, I could not explain it to them. Turns out I scanned too many of these mix and match deals for these customers. Plus these customers had more than 5 coupons for these items. I was told after I made the mistake that there is a limit of 5 coupons.

I do not like dealing with extreme couponers who claim that they do not understand how the deal works.

Turns out that one of the customers tried to go through one checkout twice, but when she was told that she could not, she went to my line along with one of the customers who previously went to my line that morning and did the same thing. The store manager ended up dealing with them. He was not to happy about that. The customer behind them told him that she was going to complain to Senior Management.

The best answer I can think of is to have a store add at my station every day. The problem with this is explaining it to them so they understand. Plus since the registers are not programmed to notice the limit, the customer could claim that they could buy how many they want no matter what the amount is.

This is frustrating to me.

What is a good way to prevent this from happening?
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-30-2016, 07:07 PM.

I'd like to know, too. It seems to be a tactic to pretend to be confused as a customer so cashiers will just give you want you want to avoid a conflict and get you out of the store. There are people out there who are evil-levels of cheap and don't care what they have to pull to get the most stuff for the least money.

Comment

Quoth chimera View Post
      I'd like to know, too. It seems to be a tactic to pretend to be confused as a customer so cashiers will just give you want you want to avoid a conflict and get you out of the store. There are people out there who are evil-levels of cheap and don't care what they have to pull to get the most stuff for the least money.
      I just looked at our store add on their website. No-where on the store add does it state limit 5 per customer per day for these mix and match deals.

So now what do I tell the customer when I look at the store add the next time I go to work this week?

Comment

Tell the manager you do not have the 5-item limit in print. If he wants to keep it, he needs to at least put up a sign in the store. Also, if he wants to have the limit, he needs to either find someone to incant the registers into enforcing it, or make it a big deal for the cashiers to enforce it. (And in the latter case, he's SOL if you've got self-checkout.)

Comment

Point them to the manager, and get him/her to explain the limit. Could you find out if other stores have the limit and enforce it?

I think we used to have a limit, but it went away with the last round of software updates. Now you can clear the shelf if you want, but to get the deal price it has to be in quantities of 5 (or whatever)--any 'extras' ring up normally. That leads to the messy situation of the local c-store owner coming up with a U-boat full of soda--probably our entire shipment for the week--and "these are 5 for $X, how many of these can I get that price on?"
          "How many do you have, the total number has to be divisible by 5 for the deal to work." (hint: if all the flats are full it will not work unless the full flats are also in a specific quantity--usually 5 for soda sales)
          "I don't know, aren't you supposed to do that?" Cue your IPM dropping like a lead weight as the SC has to 'make sure' each one is scanned, and flips their shit if they think you scanned one too many.

I really, really wish someone would put the limit back in play. You'd think it would be easy enough; limit of X per shopper card per transaction (limit could be suspended if the store card is used, sale price and deals would still apply but SC would not get to reap the benefit of 10000 gas points)
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
          X