X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird bug problem

As in, a problem with a weird bug.

The past couple years, during the summer, I have a problem with bugs in my computer room. This one in particular looks like a cross between a wasp and an ant, is all red, and likes to divebomb at me at night. But only at night. O.o The only time I've experienced them during the day was when one was crawling across my computer desk about half an hour ago and I kinda went all 'Hulk smash!' on it.

From the description, does anyone know what this bug is? And, furthermore, any ideas on how the heck to get rid of 'em? Like I said, it's only during the summer that I see them. This year, though, it's worse than ever and I see them 2 or 3 at a time every night.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Don't know for sure mind you, couldn't find a red variation..but sort of sounds like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

If it looks pretty much like an ant with wings, it probably is.

Queen ants have wings until they establish their nests. I know that the apartment I was in had an ant problem inside the outer wall, and we'd get harassed by ant queens in waves. They have a thing for the light of lcd computer screens, it would seem.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yes..that is always a possibility. So rare for me to see a queen ant, totally skipped my mind.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          If it looks pretty much like an ant with wings, it probably is.

Queen ants have wings until they establish their nests. I know that the apartment I was in had an ant problem inside the outer wall, and we'd get harassed by ant queens in waves. They have a thing for the light of lcd computer screens, it would seem.

^-.-^
          After some research, I do believe that they are flying ants. All the pictures I've seen do look like what I've seen in the room. I have no idea where they're coming from either, unless there's a hole in one of the window screens somewhere in the house.

Thus far, I haven't seen them go toward the computer screen itself. Just at me as though I've done something to piss them off. O.o
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I could never find the place the queens got into my place, either, but there are so many tiny gaps all over any house/apartment, that there's no way, without removing everything and going over it with a fine-toothed comb that you could ever find them all.

It seems to be queen season right now; I've killed 3 or 4 in the last couple of weeks. The new house has tiny ants; unless you see them moving, they look like flecks of dust or pepper, but the queens are still pretty large.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ants have mating flights. The queens go out searching for a mate. Then they look for a place to establish a nest, and when they find a suitable place they drop the wings and set up housekeeping.

If you have this happen inside every year, there's an ant nest with access to your house.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't think it's likely to be an ant; the wasp suggestion is more apt. There are several varieties of stingless wasp which might fit the bill.

Flying ants (and it could be both queen or drone) would tend to avoid humans, not dive-bomb them.

Comment

The spiders and the ant...wasp...thingies seem to be at war with each other. So far, it does appear that the spiders have the upper--not hand. Insects and arachnids don't have hands. Leg?

Between the two of them, I'd personally rather have the spiders. Because 1) they're easier to kill if they get in my personal space bubble and 2) they're not incredibly confrontational.
                  Last edited by firecat88; 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X