This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My yard looks like the Egypt of Exodus

I cannot take a step in the yard without having hundreds (yes, literally hundreds) of tiny TOADS hopping all around and in front of me. I've lived here for over 15 years, and we have never seen this many toads. We have been having a lot of rain lately and our sinkhole/pond is pretty full right now, but still, that has happened before without spawning thousands of toadies.

Is this going to be a problem later, or are most of these babies probably going to die out before they reach adulthood? I don't want to hurt anything unnecessarily, but thousands of grown up toads would be a big problem. I can't figure out how they all thrived even to this point (they're about the size of a pea), since a few weeks ago, we started throwing Mosquito Dunks into the pond to control the bloodsucker population.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

When I read the title my first thought was that you're in the middle of a cicada brood and had a plague of locusts.
    Hmmmm.... Not sure which is worse, really. Although I've never had the frogs. Locusts, yes. Try camping in the middle of an emerging brood.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

they'll likely be picked off by predators(crows love them), die off, or move on to less crowded areas.

But I am soooo jealous!

I love toadies!

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
      I can't figure out how they all thrived even to this point (they're about the size of a pea), since a few weeks ago, we started throwing Mosquito Dunks into the pond to control the bloodsucker population.
      um

Quoth mosquito dunks website
      Will NOT harm people, pets, wildlife or fish.
      I think toads fall under "wildlife"
      Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 06-24-2012, 03:08 PM.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Oh, I realized that. For some reason though I thought that the toads used mosquito larvae as a food source, and since we eliminated most of that, I can't figure out what they've been eating.

Comment

You love in south Florida, too? The bufos are out in full force here!
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
            Oh, I realized that. For some reason though I thought that the toads used mosquito larvae as a food source, and since we eliminated most of that, I can't figure out what they've been eating.
            as tadpoles, they eat algae...
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Oh ok. Not sure why I thought they ate the skeeters.

And draggar, not quite. North Florida. Never seen so many toads in my life, ha. Although I prefer them to the mosquitoes, as they don't want to eat me.

Comment

For some reason I thought "major drought" when I read the title ...

Then when you mentioned all the toadies I thought of the Stephen King short story "Rainy Season."

Neither of those is much help, I know.

Comment

Working...
                X