Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a thread on racist accusations a few months ago (maybe last year?) Recovering Kinkoid pointed out the strategy of just agreeing with them.

It works. Whenever I get accused of any kind of ism, I just say, "Yep." They usually don't know how to handle that. Just the sputtering and snorting of me taking all the wind out of their sails is enough to make me almost laugh in their faces.

They only call you a racist to try and gain power over you. Don't let them win.

Really though, the only kind of people I hate are stupid people, I wonder what kind of ism that is?
    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
      In a thread on racist accusations a few months ago (maybe last year?) Recovering Kinkoid pointed out the strategy of just agreeing with them.
      It works. Whenever I get accused of any kind of ism, I just say, "Yep."
      The problem with agreeing with them is that an admission like that could open your company up to lawsuits.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts
        He spent a week decrying the OBVIOUS illegality of the State of Minnesota levying a sales tax on Beer Nuts.
        Last I checked, Beer Nuts were not a necessity...

Hell, I consider Hershey Kissables a necessity but I still pay sales tax...I should complain
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          Why do people make such a fuss over showing their ID when all it takes is just a few seconds?
          Unfortunately, it happens quite a bit, especially the ones who are used to *not* showing their ID. When I request an ID card so I can bring certain people up in the computer, they get all huffy and say, "Well THEY never ask for ID." (THEY being my co-workers), or "don't worry, THEY know me here."

Uhh, excuse me. Do you recognize my face? 'Cause I certainly don't recognize yours.

I hardly do that particular job in my store, so I don't have every customer face and name filed away in my brain.
          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Broomjockey wins 3 internets.

They will be delivered whenever the heck I feel like doing it.

Comment

Quoth Namrepus221 View Post
              Broomjockey wins 3 internets.

They will be delivered whenever the heck I feel like doing it.
              Woot! *anxiously awaits delivery*

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
              Really though, the only kind of people I hate are stupid people, I wonder what kind of ism that is?
              Intellectualism, I believe.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                Intellectualism, I believe.
                Ah, but intelligence isn't a protected status*, so we can be intellectualist all we want.

*Except for legitimate mental disabilities, and as far as I know DeeDeeDee isn't in any version of the DSM
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Namrepus221 View Post
                  I'm guessing this is a gym for Hoopty Frood's only eh?

(Plus 3 internets to anyone who knows what I'm talking about )
                  Someone came through the door from the back of the office and a comment was made about dark sunglasses as I was reading this post.

The first thing that came to mind were peril-sensitive shades.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I still peek into trash-filled alleyways looking for the box of discarded sunglasses that will show me the aliens that live hidden among us.
                    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                      Also, while he did have a dark complexion, when did Indian = black? The way he said it was almost as if someone told him that was what to do to get people to do what you want.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone (Bueller? Bueller?) but I believe there is a definite internal bigotry in India associated with darkness of skin. The lighter skin colors are considered to be superior, or at least more desirable, than the darker shades. It sounds like he had quite a chip on his shoulder about his own skin tone.

I don't know how that works in with the caste system, just that I know that there is a very wide range of skin colors within India. In the movie "Monsoon Wedding," the bride in the titular wedding is quite fair-skinned and has light brown hair, and almost Caucasian features. And if you've ever seen any Bollywood movies or Indian music videos, the singers and dancers are almost always more light-skinned.
                      He loves the world...except for all the people.
                      --Men at Work

Comment

I've only been accused of racism once that I can remember, and that was because some idiot with an ER script for his wife only wanted to pick up her pain medicine and not the antibiotic ear drop for her ear infection.
                        He did the "I don't have enough money, I'll buy it later" schpiel, so I called the ER doc to ask permission to dispense only the pain med and predictably, he said no, and dumbass boy went nuts, accusing me of wording the question wrong, saying I was only doing this because he was middle eastern, blah blah.
                        His wife looked absolutely mortified, but she didn't say a word.
                        Interestingly, they bought a crapload of knick-knacks along with their scripts. Go figure.

(Yes, I realize that there really are people who can't afford some of the antibiotics out there. But any sane person would purchase the script that would actually do the person good rather than just the pain med, and the ER doctors know this, so they prescribe antibiotics to help dissuade the many drug seekers they and we get.)

Comment

OK I give up, what's a Hoopty Frood and what about sunglasses? I admit, I am very unhip... or maybe my problem is I'm not enough of a geek...?
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            OK I give up, what's a Hoopty Frood and what about sunglasses? I admit, I am very unhip... or maybe my problem is I'm not enough of a geek...?
                            Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". A Hoopty Frood is someone who always knows where their towel is, because a towel is the one thing you must always remember to take with you when hitchhiking across the stars. Long story there.

The other part is a reference to a set of sunglasses that can sense imminent peril and turn pitch black so that you don't see anything that will upset you.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Some people play this card as an excuse to get out of responsibility. I have heard stories of coworkers using it to get out of doing any real work, then being surprised when her contract wasn't renewed at the end of the year. And she got told off by everyone that worked with her about how much of a twat she was.

I've had this line pulled on me a few times. It's the worst line to have used against, because how do you justify that its not true? I always wanted to turn it back on them, saying "You only accused me of being racist because I"m white!" But that probably wouldn't go over too well with them.
                              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                              The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                                "You only accused me of being racist because I"m white!"
                                Excellent response! It really turns their logic around on them.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                                X