Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When doing favors for customers isn't good enough.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When doing favors for customers isn't good enough.

This particular customer hasn't become completely sucky yet, but believe me, the potential is there.

A little back story on return policy: 1) You must have a receipt. 2) Only refunds within 30 days. 3) Exchanges within 90 days. Now, before December 1999, we offered a lifetime guarantee on some merchandise, however, you still have to have the receipt, and it has to say "Lifetime Guarantee". Fair enough? On with the story...

Memorial day, lady comes up with a broken chain. Says she needs to exchange it, and I ask for her receipt. Of course she doesn't have it. I say, I really need to have a receipt. She says, the guy manager exchanged it for me before, it's broke like 3 times now. So, I tell her, if we can identify the merchandise is ours 100% without a doubt, we can exchange it, assuming we have the exact same thing (we'd just damage out the old and give the customer the new one, without performing an actual exchange in the register). We do this as a courtesy. We are not required to do anything, and usually we say "It's a one time thing". So I tell her I will see if we have the same chain, if we do, I'll exchange it...as a courtesy. Luckily, we have it, and I can match them up without a doubt. I give her the new chain and she goes on her way.

Today, she comes back. The chain broke again (it's a hollow 14k rope, not the sturdiest thing in the world). By this time, my old manager has done her a favor by exchanging it, I've done it...now she expects it (which is why I usually stick to my guns on the receipt issue). So I try to find the chain again, only this time we don't have it. The following conversation ensues:

Me: Unfortunately, we don't have this chain in stock. You'll have to wait and see if it comes in.
    Her: But what if it never comes in?
    Me: ...without a receipt, the only thing I can do is an even exchange. And unfortunately, without the sku number, I have no way to call another store to see if they have it. Having a receipt would make things a lot easier.
    Her: But can't you look me up? I bought this when you did the lifetime guarantee, I was a part of your jewelry club...(continues with some mild whining about the times her chain has broke, what might've happened to her receipt, etc.)
    Me: I'm sorry. Your name and address might be in our computer (we don't do the J.C. anymore), but it has never kept track of customer purchases. Even with lifetime guarantee purchases, we require the receipt.
    Her: Well. That's kind of...silly. (She totally did not want to use "silly").

After that, I just kind of apologized some more, and reiterated the importance of keeping your receipt, trying to get her to realize that I DON'T HAVE TO DO A DAMN THING FOR YOU! She kind of started looking through her wallet, and I think I would have spit fire if she showed up with a receipt all of a sudden. She didn't find it, and said she'd go home and look some more for her receipt, or check at the end of the week to see if the chain comes in.

Honestly, I'm tired of being nice to people. If I apply the rules to one person, I need to apply them to everyone, because there's always going to be that one person who takes your "customer courtesy" and throws it back in your face.
    --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

I want to know what the heck she's trying to do with that chain that she keeps breaking it and why she doesn't get the clue that she needs something a bit more robust.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I want to know what she's doing to keep breaking the chain every few days!
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

Why oh why don't people feel the need to provide a receipt for things? Yeah, sure, let me just go ahead and exchange this for you even though I have no proof whatsoever where/when/how you got it.

And I don't think I want to know what activity she's engaging in that keeps breaking it ^^
        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

ok you guys have dirty minds... i was just thinking she just had a big chunk charm that needed a better chain...

Comment

And?

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
            ok you guys have dirty minds... i was just thinking she just had a big chunk charm that needed a better chain...
            What are you talking about? All they are saying is she charm is working properly and she gets 'lucky' very often

Hint, hint, say not more.
            Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 06-18-2007, 10:24 PM. Reason: improvement

Comment

ok i ment chunky... not chunk... like a big locket or maybe a something like my brother has (heavy iron replica weapons)

and oh god now im going to have nightmares involving Lucky and somelady getting... lucky.

Comment

According to the customer, she "just wears it" and it breaks. I'm sorry...chains don't just break, unless there's a manufacturer's defect, and even then, not every chain she gets is going to be defective. And while it is a hollow 14k rope, it shouldn't be that fragile. I wear my necklaces for weeks at a time, that are thinner than the one she has, and I haven't broken one in years.

I have suggested that she invest in a solid chain. Unfortunately, she'd have to pay out of pocket, because without a receipt I can't do an exchange! Blah.
                --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

OK, when a customer wants an exception and says "soandso did it before" that raises a red flag for me, because soandso most likely also told her it was a one-time exception. You told her the first time you dealt with her that it was a one-time thing, so why should you even bother trying to do it again? She's already been told she needs a receipt and she's gotten her exception to the rule. If she keeps breaking the chain then it's time to find something less delicate...
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-18-2007, 11:13 PM. Reason: ?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    Well, I wasn't thinking anything naughty before you said something.

I used to try to wear an anklet, but no matter what size I got, it would end up too small, and I'd kill the o ring that held the clasp onto the chain. Until I got one large enough that it just slipped off my heel. I gave up at that point.

This lady has got to be either catching the chain on something and tugging it, or she gets it tangled in other chains and just yanks at it to untangle it. (I've seen people with a million necklaces all tangled together. I soooo want to go up and start untangling them for 'em)

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                    X