This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions that make my head hurt

I am going to rant a bit here beacuse the last few weeks I have suffered from terrible headaches and stomach pain......For those who do not know I work at a well known thrift store..I say this yet again because i do not post that often!

The main thing I am extremely tired of is the constant questions..now this being a thrift store itiems are one would think self explanatory BUT noooooooooo it apparantly is not....Just a few that I hear daily...How much is this...let me point something out We have sales everyday we have 3 yes 3 signs that state what each sale is....1- Before you enter the store usually proped up against the door 2- one against the register as you walk in and A huge sign on the wall behind the register sateting the sales of the other two signs....No matter if all clothes are a dollar people will still ask over and over how much something is....even after telling them verbally they will still ask

2- This one i have stated before..What size is this from across the store with it having no size tag...I can not tell u what size it is being that I did not make the article of clothing in which u hold in your hand...Yes I can guess but this is never satisfactory..

3-No I do not know what every single itiem is nor do I know how old it is or where it came from Please do not get pissy when I politely say I do not know

4- Please stop interrupting me while I am with a customer and do not shout from across the store

5-Please look at the itiem before asking how much it is We price everything...Don't say Oh I didn't look when I ask if it has a price on it and don't get offended when i walk to u and point at the very apparant price sticker...

I know this may sound small to some but I know I am asked over 100 questions a day it's like when a child learns to speak really good and constantly asks why...eventually it begins to wear on ones' nerves..I am human...I am only one person...do not ask me questions while I am already trying to answer 6....

And one last thing to the lady who knocked a bottle of nail polish over and when I picked it up and asked if it was her's and she said No and I stated well that odd It must have gotten put out when I wasn't here..Do u want it and you said NO u yourself didn't know you even had it in your buggie and called back later and told my manager that I didn't bag it and I charged you for it...Do u have severe memory loss....And no you weren't charged for it because we both agreed we didn't know where it came from...Why lie ma'am over something so small as a freaking bottle of nail polish????

Ah, BAD Goodwill memories.

You want to hear fun? Towards the end of my tenure, we had to put sizes ON the price tags in MARKER. Imagine the fun trying to do that when the people who originally owned the item cut the tag off.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We to have to size everything but as you said people cut the tags out..then these are the articles of clothing that I am hounded about...I to worked for Goodwill I can say where i am now is less stricter but I swear if I had remembered all the damn qusetions I would have never began working here....

Comment

The funny thing about my stint at Goodwill is...I applied there because I HAD to fill out two applications a week to get my unemployment money, and it was within walking distance of my house.

I liked working there, for the most part.

I hear the one I worked at has gone severely downhill, though.
        Unseen but seeing
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I love working at Goodwill and where I am now actually..it's just it's such mental beatdown.....I can't begin to understand why so many people have so many damn questions about the obvious. Okay if there is only one curtain panel then that is it because if there were another it would be with it....People can not understand we do not have inventory to meet their own personal needs we take donations and what we get is what we get....And for those who donates boxes and boxes of shoes with no mate...Really what is that all about????

Comment

Quoth georgiab View Post
            I can't begin to understand why so many people have so many damn questions about the obvious.
            If it makes sense, it's not allowed.™®©

Quoth georgiab View Post
            And for those who donates boxes and boxes of shoes with no mate...Really what is that all about????
            Maybe they're amputees?
            Unseen but seeing
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth georgiab View Post
              I love working at Goodwill and where I am now actually..it's just it's such mental beatdown..
              This is my biggest complaint at my current job. I *LOVE* 99% of the techs I deal with and my coworkers, but so many of our customers and wrong numbers have to be the stupidest people I've ever dealt with, and it hurts my poor brain. I work after hours on an emergency line, and somewhere around 75% of the calls we receive are from people who don't seem to grasp what constitutes an emergency (a 911 center down? yes. Your 1 radio is acting funny? no) So yes, I feel your pain.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth georgiab View Post
                4- Please stop interrupting me while I am with a customer and do not shout from across the store
                That gets on my nerves, too. First, I just hate it when people shout at me from across the store for any reason. Walk over to the counter if you need to speak to me. I'm probably busy doing something not directly related to your whims, but just as important to my job at the moment. Thank you! Second, I hate it when people don't take the hint after I indicate that I'm busy with some task like counting money from my drawer to drop into the safe, and need a moment to finish my train of thought before I move on to another task. Some customers just don't get that it's not all about them. It never fails, I start counting money or tallying receipts between customers so that I have less to do to close my shift at the end of the night, and some loud mouth starts running in the background trying to get my attention. Even if I indicate that I will help them in just a moment, they keep right on rattling like I'm supposed to drop everything to cater to their every little whim, which I never do. I usually just start couting louder or turn away to emphasize my point. Most of the time, it's a stupid question which I would think obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I can't stand it either, when customers think you are not doing anything, therefore you can help them. I can be doing any number of things, while not actually having a customer in front of me.

I could be looking on the floor for a customer/another store on the phone who is looking for an item we may have, which means you have to go on the floor to look and see if we have it; I could be going to the back, or coming from the back to look for/bring the something they've asked me for, I could be doing a return, and the customer has walked away to look at something else (i hate that, btw), or i could be looking in the system for a customer to see if the item we don't have is at another store...and the list goes on.

But no, they just charge ahead, not paying attention...some of them are polite when i say "i'm sorry, i'm helping another customer, but i'll be with you as soon as i can" - but some get snotty and think they should be helped NOW as the world revolves around them.

Comment

Of course the world revolves around them..... I can prove it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVgR6fAHKuU

See, told you!
                    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                    X