This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell's Kitchen Season 10

So I wound up watching the new season of Hell's Kitchen the other night and man oh man was I in for a treat. I was a little disappointed that they didn't bring back Jean-Philippe and I was originally at the sight of Andy bald as anything. It was good to see the sous chefs playing a more straightforward role this time round instead of standing next to Gordon looking like drill sergeants.

Here's my take on the premiere:

Contestants:

I swear that there are some "repeats" of previous contestants from previous series. Kimmie reminds me of Nona minus the cooking ability (S8), Clemenza reminds me of Robert (S5), Royce definitely reminds me of Ralph (S1) and Barbie and Briana remind me of a mixture of the more ditzier girls that have been on in previous seasons. Guy also reminds me a tiny bit of Salvatore (S7) although at least he was honest about his dish to Gordon . (rather than arguing against him, saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about -.-)

Highlights:

Some of the one-liners during the signature dish challenge were GOLD.

The service looked to be interesting, at least the women seemed to progress further than the men for a change. Less bickering between the women DURING service.

And even though I didn't watch the whole thing, the head-shaving bit at the beginning was hilarious. Scott looks sexier WITHOUT hair than with though. (and I didn't watch the whole thing because watching people getting their head shaved freaks me out)

Thankfully it sounds like we have a good start this season, with Briana at least remembering the names of the entrees! (and I keep getting confused because over here they're referred to as entrees and mains, rather than appetizers and entrees)

Tavon deserved to go in all honesty: if you're going to come in and announce that you're an executive chef at age 22, you need to at least show that you can back up your own claims.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I had to miss the premiere I was babysitting a 3-year-old, so I had to find stuff to watch that would entertain her. I'm going to look tomorrow to see if it's on On Demand or anything.

Comment

At least with my cable company, Fox is On Demand, unlike CBS I'm looking forward to seeing it too - had to work.

Comment

OK, episode 2:

-THe focus of the challenge is ATTENTION TO DETAIL, NOT SPEED. Why oh why do the men fail to follow simple instructions?

-Royce is a tool. His executive chef is Ralph from Season 1, who was an absolute dick. Royce seems to have inherited his boss's personality I swear. :\

-Chef Ramsay's scallop "family" was hilarious

-Barbie, the rewards are just that, a REWARD. You don't need to use the whole time to pick Chef Ramsay's brain.

-Yes Roshni(?), there is a reason why the women were all ziplining in the fetal position.

-Oh geez, if you're going to do tableside at least LEARN THE LAYOUT!

-"Don't finger the pizza" Need I say more?

-Chef Ramsay WAS right, both Barbie and Chris deserve to go home. Who the fuck cooks great scallops earlier on and then fucks them up in service?!

Comment

Sadly, I cant watch anything with Ramsey any more. I first saw him when I was in the UK and thought he was a riot.

BUT....after watching his shows, I feel like its Wash, Lather, Rinse, Repeat...again. and again, and again....you get the idea...

I love how he is focused on quality of food and service, but you can only edit it in such a way for so long before you will repeat yourself...

I thought the idea for Hotel Hell sounded promising, but after watching Hotel Impossible, I am not so sure now....

Comment

I love how he is focused on quality of food and service, but you can only edit it in such a way for so long before you will repeat yourself...
            I can only assume it's that way because... the rules for good food service don't really change much. but people still don't learn them ...?

Comment

Tavon had to go, yes. Royce is a major dick, absolutely.

Most of the cheftestants either irritate me or haven't made much impression with me yet.

I am (so far) pulling for Robyn, as she is confident without being arrogant, has talent, and is not a full-on bitch like Barbie or Kimmie. Barbie NEEDS to GO! Hate her already. I like Roshni, but she seems to be in way over her head, and that's nothing to do with size. No one on the guys seem to have a clue, which is fine by me, as I tend to root for the women anyway. So far the guys are 0-4. Hilarious. Guy may have some talent, though. Clemenza, Credenze, whatever his name is, he's there purely for comic relief. Don seems like a bit of an airhead. And Royce is a tool. (Yes, I know I already said that...but it was worth saying again.)

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
              Sadly, I cant watch anything with Ramsey any more.
              While I don't have this problem, I do understand how he can grate on some people's nerves or seem repetitive. However, if you haven't already, check out Master Chef. Yes, it has Ramsey, but it's definitely not the same.

One thing I look forward to when I get home from Houston is watching the second day of auditions from yesterday (which I missed), and of course Monday's and Tuesday's shows.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Tavon had to go, yes. Royce is a major dick, absolutely.

Most of the cheftestants either irritate me or haven't made much impression with me yet.

I am (so far) pulling for Robyn, as she is confident without being arrogant, has talent, and is not a full-on bitch like Barbie or Kimmie. Barbie NEEDS to GO! Hate her already. I like Roshni, but she seems to be in way over her head, and that's nothing to do with size. No one on the guys seem to have a clue, which is fine by me, as I tend to root for the women anyway. So far the guys are 0-4. Hilarious. Guy may have some talent, though. Clemenza, Credenze, whatever his name is, he's there purely for comic relief. Don seems like a bit of an airhead. And Royce is a tool. (Yes, I know I already said that...but it was worth saying again.)
                I do agree on all of these counts. Here's my take on the ones you mentioned:

-Barbie pisses me off again. She did a GOOD job in the challenges, but at dinner service it was just fuck-up after fuck-up after fuck-up from her.

-Robyn I like as well, although the oneliner "Best orgasm ever from Chef Ramsay" (or something like that) made me go

-Roshni does look a tad overwhelmed at times, but she seems determined, which is good, she may go far.

Thankfully none of the women at THIS stage seem to be coming across as too arrogant. Barbie I HOPE will be going home soon, although judging by previous seasons, she may end up hanging around much longer.

Out of the guys:

-Royce I 100% agree is a massive tool. He's inherited some of his boss's personality alongside his cooking skills. Also how the fuck did you hurt yourself on a SCALLOP?!
                -Guy reminds me a little bit of Salvatore from Series 7: honest to a fault and not originally from the US. He was humbling in the challenge (which I liked) and seems to at least have a clue.
                -Clemenza is hilarious. It's too early for me to tell if he can really cook however.
                -Don reminds me of Tommy from the last season: airheaded.

Next week is going to be interesting....

Comment

So I watched tonight's episode and here are my notes on it:

-I loved the challenge and it was a nice touch to welcome the new citizens to the US. I 'd at Guy's admission that he had to apply for citizenship twice.

-For some reason, although Barbie does OK in the challenges, she seems to plummet in the dinner services...a repeat of Elise perhaps? Part of me also suspects that while Barbie isn't exactly a saint, a lot of the drama didn't occur until AFTER she won the scallop challenge for the red team.

-Interesting reward and punishment...who the hell wants to be kissed by a giraffe?!

-Nice to hear the pep talk from Royce's boss, it definitely seemed to help him. It still doesn't excuse the fact that Royce is a massive-ass tool, but he actually cooked a lot better that night.

-I really hope that Guy(?) didn't cut his own finger off....(next week's preview)

Overall, this episode seemed to be more consistent with previous seasons, instead of the old "Here's an ingredient/method, cook with it" line.

Although can someone please explain to me what is in a California cobb salad? It just looked like a sampler of different food items lined up on a plate to me.

Comment

A California Cobb Salad is similar to a Chef Salad in that it features a bunch of different ingredients on a bed of lettuce. In my experience, a California Cobb will have chicken, avocado, hard boiled egg, tomato, and bacon, though I've also seen black olives and other things on them. The presentation you saw on the show is typical of a California Cobb, with a bed of lettuce beneath, followed by lines of each ingredient across the top.

As Chef Ramsey pointed out, mushrooms are NOT typically part of a California Cobb, and clearly not part of HIS California Cobb.

Still A Customer."

Comment

And yesterday's episode was hilarious (been watching it in my own way, so bear in mind the time delay, I am referring to Monday's episode, not Tuesday's)

The Mexican challenge was interesting....although perhaps on the back of the "Clean Your Balls" ad I posted in the Check It Out section, every time I heard Brian or Justin (one of the two) referring to getting balls, my mind sank to the gutter. Although what the heck is a toastada? (tostada?)

Chef Ramsay seems to be forgetting that the OLDEST guy in Hell's Kitchen is Clemenza, NOT Patrick. Patrick is 40, Clemenza is 41. >.>

Now as for the red team, nearly every single one of them has lost my respect in some way. It isn't high school, you're not sixteen years old, breaking off into cliques is for high school, not Hell's Kitchen. Christina seems to be fairly consistent in terms of service and challenges and not really being the instigator in fights, she has in all honesty, grown over the last 4-5 episodes. Dana is also getting to be more consistent in dinner services and to some degree, challenges, but loses my respect for getting involved in the fights. If you do decide who the clear runners are in the female team however, I'd have to say those two and possibly Danielle.

As for the mens team, Roshni seemed a LOT better in the blue team, than she did in the red. Royce and Brian still drive me nuts in terms of their whining (either in the private interviews or to each other). Clemenza is slightly obnoxious, Patrick and Justin seem a bit quiet and Guy seems to have dropped the ball. And in all honesty, I don't know why, but it was both funny and nice at the same time to see the men trying not to swear around Roshni.

Comment

A tostada is the Mexican equivalent of an open-faced sandwich.

You know how a taco comes in a curved shell? A tostada comes on a flat corn tortilla shell, on which you can really put anything. Here is an excellent example.

And now I'm hungry for Mexican. Damn it!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

And now I'm hungry for Mexican. Damn it!
                          Watch the episode you'll be craving it massively afterwards.

Comment

I DID watch the episode. And rehashing it just made me hungrier for Mexican, especially since I just got out of work and am hungry from having worked my ass off all day. (It's a rainy day in Key West, and that usually means a busier day for me at my indoor, covered bar.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X