Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is going to be the LONGEST 5 1/2 hours of my life!! (in a good way)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add on to that last - splurge for the really nice stuff (if you don't already).

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
      The non-food cravings are known as pica and it's due in some cases to an iron deficiency or a hookworm infection.
      In short: if you're feeling cravings for something that isn't food, go talk to your doctor post haste.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
        In short: if you're feeling cravings for something that isn't food, go talk to your doctor post haste.
        This should really go for everybody, just double for those who are preggers.

Always listen to your cravings. You don't necessarily have to feed them, but they will tell you what sorts of things your body thinks it needs.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Congrats!! I'll echo the wishes for a boring pregnancy and a quick delivery.

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
          Hopefully you will not be loike me and crave watermelon in February
          BTDT, in Alaska. Even in summer watermelon is hard to get.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Add on to that last - splurge for the really nice stuff (if you don't already).
            I'm just a little scared at this point. We've only told REALLY close family, and so far, people want to give us all of their outdated and damaged furniture and baby clothing It's not that I'm not grateful, I am... but the crib my fiancee's mother wants to give us is 30+ years old and would probably warrant a visit from the authorities if we let a baby sleep in it. It's going to be hard to say "no" to people who mean well, but don't seem to understand.

But hey, I'm pregnant. 'Nuff said

Comment

If the crib has a drop side (at that age it probably does) cite the fact that no one sells drop side cribs anymore because, you know, kids kept dying in them. In fact I'd cite safety concerns to anyone who tries to give you old stuff; most car seats even are obsolete after a few years as technology keeps improving. If they want to get rid of their old stuff, let them do the work!
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

no drop sides, this thing has permanent metal bars, about 6-7" apart, with a thickness less than that of a pencil. It's not sturdy. It scares the hell outta me LOL Oh, and did I mention the spikes that hold the mattress down that stick out about an inch or so from the frame? I'm afraid LOL

Comment

If she pushes you can always say it doesn't fit with how you are decorating. NEVER use a second had car seat, they actually have expiration dates and if they have ever been in any sort of accident (while baby in them or not) they need to be replaced.

Comment

If you have to, flat-out point out that as old as the crib is, it probably wouldn't be considered safe by the baby's pediatrician. There have been a few instances where I've told my mother and MIL things that they would've done one way that are done differently (like putting baby on their back to sleep now instead of their tummy), with the whole "pediatrician says" and gotten away with it.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                    most car seats even are obsolete after a few years as technology keeps improving.
                    Quoth 24601 View Post
                    NEVER use a second had car seat, they actually have expiration dates and if they have ever been in any sort of accident (while baby in them or not) they need to be replaced.
                    My sister and I were discussing this recently, actually. I hadn't realized there were expiration dates on the car seats, but sure enough, even the one we got for my first child has one. Go figure. My sister's pediatrician actually told her that so long as the car seat is the one you bought and has not been in any accidents, you could probably get away with using it upwards of 10 years. But if it's second-hand, or been in an accident, no dice, shell out for a brand new one. I'd double-check with your own doctors (OB-GYN maybe, pediatrician certainly) to get their advice on the car seats.

As for the rest? You can always see if there are safety recalls and the like on any old stuff being given to you. Clothing's probably okay, and a "no thank you" frequently goes a long way. The rest you could probably cite recalls and updated safety information on. A rickety crib with exposed spikes would be a very big "no thank you" from me. Save up, get a nice sturdy new one instead.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth PawnPrincess Ardra View Post
                      LOL no cravings just yet, and I've always been very fond of food (thought about being a chef, but decided against it because I didn't want to lose the passion for cooking) so if I start craving chalk or cleaners... yikes

Thank you all for your kind words! Apparently I'm approximately 5 weeks, so there's still a looooooong way to go LOL
                      Good luck - hope you don't end up with morning sickness - I had it eternally [once for all 5 months, and once for all 7 months] One morning I got tired of tossing up breakfast, so I took the plate into the bathroom and flushed the contents, and told my mum that I was eliminating the middleman.

Just try to make sure that over the course of the day you end up with a balanced diet, allow yourself a little craving now and again, remember that foot rubs are magical [when you can't see your toes...]

[I quit working as a chef after 3 years because I lost the liking of cooking for myself for fun. I now cook for fun because it isn't something that I *have* to do but because I *like* to do it. you made a good choice!]
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
                        Hopefully you will not be loike me and crave watermelon in February
                        Heh. I craved peaches. Not canned or frozen, fresh peaches, the slightly soft, extra juicy, middle-of-summer sweet yummy kind. Guess what wasn't in season at the time?!
                        Quoth PawnPrincess Ardra View Post
                        no drop sides, this thing has permanent metal bars, about 6-7" apart, with a thickness less than that of a pencil. It's not sturdy. It scares the hell outta me LOL Oh, and did I mention the spikes that hold the mattress down that stick out about an inch or so from the frame? I'm afraid LOL
                        I wouldn't use that thing as a planter, let alone keep my baby in it!!! To heck with the relative's feelings, your baby's safety is top priority.
                        Last edited by XCashier; 06-20-2012, 05:33 AM.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                        X