This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyslexia Deluxia

I'm sure this bizarre subject has been discussed before, but I think it bears repeating on a regular basis.
    Why can't customers read and comprehend signs without full explanations of their meanings, even when the sign is pretty freakin' obvious?
    The store I work for is having a 'clearance sale' (though it's really just advertising the stuff we already had on clearance), and all of these signs read something like:
    CLEARANCE SALE! UP TO 70% OFF! ITEMS PRICED AS MARKED!
    You know what the customers see when they encounter this sign?
    70% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE!!!!!
    I have to explain to them that this is not the case and then go into the spiel about the 'UP TO' and 'PRICED AS MARKED' parts for the 1,458th time that day...

Also, I love when customers leave regular-priced merchandise in the clearance section and later someone else grabs it, brings it up to the front and freaks out when it rings up for full price.
    "But it was in the clearance section!"
    My ears ring a lot from the Moron Alarm going off all the time.
    ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Selective hearing...you'll find a lot of customers have that.
    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

They also have "Selective vison"

nothing to do with dyslexia *pouts* im dyslexic and I dont ever purposely try to misunderstand!!

that reminds me, who is the sadist who decided to spell dyslexia that way, talk about your cruel and unusual punishment!!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Dyslexia Deluxia Part 2: The Revenge

Sorry, Kiwi!
        Didn't mean to equate a bonafide condition with your garden variety ignorance.

This selective vision thing also pops up quite a bit when someone doesn't like our return policy terms.
        "But nobody told me that!"
        Mm-hm. Like I'm gonna read that huge honkin' sign hanging right above my head for everybody who buys something.
        ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

add 'selective thinking' and 'selective comprehension' to that list. i swear most, if not all sc's have this really teeny tiny portion of the brain that works when they come in, and it's on 'selective' everything.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

totally cool demonoid, I was pouting in jest, see my sig, thats me pouting!!

company policy signs could be hot neon pink, flashing and have whirling ribbons and customers would still not see them!!!
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Perhaps if we had signs that had a little mechanical hand that popped customers upside the head at the push of a button.....

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon
                \
                CLEARANCE SALE! UP TO 70% OFF! ITEMS PRICED AS MARKED!
                I hate it when people bring up clearance stuff. At my store, we use pink tickets for clearance items and the items are priced as marked. Sometimes people go, "well, I thought it was 70% off this price on the ticket."

Nononono. It's already been marked down 70% and that's the final price marked. I always get the "are you sure?" question. Oh yes, yes, I do know what I'm talking about, thank you. Usually the pink ticket even says "70% off" and lists the original price and then the marked down price in bigger numbers. Still, all day people ask "is it 20/30/50/whatever% off the price printed?" SIGH. The sign says "items priced as marked!"

Comment

They can't be expected to READ! Good grief, have you not realised that they're FAR too 'important' to go around wasting their time actually taking in the factual content of signs put there for their benefit!

I will never forget the time we closed down a shop and put A0 flourescent pink banners in all the windows proudly proclaiming "CLOSING DOWN SALE 50% OFF STICKER PRICES" only to be asked every time the total appeared on the till "Oh...are you having a sale?"

Comment

To start, I read signs, and I have a general idea of how clearance sales run.

That being said, not too long ago, the man of the household and I were at the mall and decided to take a look around Spencer's. We saw a Family Guy dominoes set that had a sticker that said it was $4.96 and another sticker that said "50% off". Ok, cool. It used to be about $10, and now it's under $5. Rock on, I say.

Get to the register, it rings up at $2.50. Woo hoo.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Kiwi
                      company policy signs could be hot neon pink, flashing and have whirling ribbons and customers would still not see them!!!
                      Unless the signs said "Free Stuff:" before the policy statement, when every customer would memorise every single word of the sign, in the hope of getting their free stuff....not that I'm cynical or anything, you understand.
                      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                      - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine
                        To start, I read signs, and I have a general idea of how clearance sales run.

That being said, not too long ago, the man of the household and I were at the mall and decided to take a look around Spencer's. We saw a Family Guy dominoes set that had a sticker that said it was $4.96 and another sticker that said "50% off". Ok, cool. It used to be about $10, and now it's under $5. Rock on, I say.

Get to the register, it rings up at $2.50. Woo hoo.
                        I totally agree with you. I'm one of those people that doesn't like to talk to employees while I'm shopping unless absolutely necessary (I'm just weird like that, I actually like to go shopping by myself sometimes), so I'll read all signs at least twice before asking someone if I don't understand something.

lol, my friend and I call stuff like the Family Guy dominoes "Secret Sales". I have a pair of sneakers that I love to death that were marked $10 as the sale price but rang up $2 or $3 at the register! One year later, the shoes are still walking and they remain my favorite pair.
                        Love is admiration without envy, familiarity without contempt, and chocolate without asking.

Comment

My favorite is when the people who change signs for get to take one down. I could be in the darkest depth of the store but there will be a customer who finds it. We do fuel savings and for a week we offered 10 cents off a gallon if you spent over 100 dollars. The sale ended and the stockers forgot one sign...then some SC comes up and starts complaining about her gas savings...then brings the sign up to the service desk.

That's another pet peeve...when the customer feels the need to rip the sign off and bring it to you rather than wait for a manager to check the price. Then they prance off leaving me to go and replace the sign, on top of the 70 other things I have to do.
                          --AmericanZero8503--
                          Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store

Comment

Working...
                          X