This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I'm In The Store

Sorry I'm posting so many today, but we had a slow day at work so me and my coworkers were sharing war stories...lol.

Okay so this has to do with a credit card scanner, where the customer does it themselves...

Me: Slide your card
    SC: Okay---(Slides it the wrong way)
    Me: Turn it around so the strip faces the store. (I gave her too much credit assuming she'd think the store was where the aisles were)
    SC: But...I'm in the store...

LOL...I think she was one beer short of a six-pack.
    --AmericanZero8503--
    Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store

When customers would slide their card in the wrong way when trying to pay at the pump (at the gas station), I'd tell them, "Magnetic strip side facing you"

They'd look at me like

So I'd ask them to see their card a sec, pretend to face the pump like them, demonstrate, and go "This way..."

LOL...everyone's a beer short of a six pack at that store!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

So many people have trouble figuring out which way to swipe their cards at my theatre, management has handed down an edict from on high stating we have to swipe their cards for them. Unfortunately, people often grab the pin pad, which is the only place to swipe the card, so we have to ask for it back.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey
        So many people have trouble figuring out which way to swipe their cards at my theatre, management has handed down an edict from on high stating we have to swipe their cards for them. Unfortunately, people often grab the pin pad, which is the only place to swipe the card, so we have to ask for it back.
        One thing that bugs me is they look at the machine like it's the lord jesus...then they make a comment that I always hate...

"Oh well they're all different...*Giggle*"

But the freaking concept is the same...just slide your damn card!
        --AmericanZero8503--

Comment

Quoth AmericanZero8503
          One thing that bugs me is they look at the machine like it's the lord jesus...then they make a comment that I always hate...

"Oh well they're all different...*Giggle*"
          There's more than one Jesus?
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Sure....lol...according to the rednecks over here...
            --AmericanZero8503--

Comment

O.k., so the card doesn't work the one way . . . isn't it a natural instinct to turn the card around and try it on the other side? Can people not figure that out?
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

In my store you can swipe your card in both directions with the magnetic strip facing either way, and people still mess it up. As long as you hold the card so the strip is on the bottom the machine will read it, but we still get people who have no idea how to use a credit card and slide it with the magnetic strip on top.
                "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

my gas station is the worst

1/4 will go about it no problem
                  1/4 will pull the cord too far out crashing the computer (our company - Petro canada - doesn't know the meaning of "badly-needed upgrades" )
                  1/2 customers will try to swipe the numbers side into the machine ndmagnetic strip won't even be tocuhing the reading bar

of the last group, 1/2 will continuously swipe the card vigorously in hopes that the machine will pick up the information (they're the ones who can't seem to understand how magnets and scanners work

the other half will pause without making a sound for the duration of the time-window, waiting for me to tell them that something is wrong and then restarting the cycle of moronism

Comment

I dont understand why they dont just make ONE STANDARD machine....obviously the genuis who invented these machines had never worked in retail and doesnt realise that customers check their brains at the door. Hell I never know which way to swipe the damn things.... some you hand your card to the cashier, some you dont, some swipe in, some out, some you insert and leave, others you insert and remove quickly... complicated complicated complicated

the one I work with goes from pinpad to touch screen back to pin pad etc. I wont even let my customers swipe it, I do it myself that way every single time its quick and correct, but I have to baby step my way through the transaction with every single customer..."what do you mean touchscreen", "wheres the ok button" etc

my reciepts have a X............. with (SIGN HERE) beside it and despite me saying, "now could you please sign on the dotted line" they still ask, ARGH

one standard machine, thats all I ask!!!
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

When people ask "Why can't they just make these all the same?" I reply in my sweetest voice, "Well, that would be a monopoly and no one likes that." Seriously, just slide your card towards the thickest part of the machine. Thats where the reader is. Why is it so hard?
                      WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth batmoody
                        Seriously, just slide your card towards the thickest part of the machine. Thats where the reader is. Why is it so hard?
                        Not always true. The scanners at my store are opposite of that. The reader head is in the "thin" side of the scanner. Even worse, the local supermarket chain has different scanners and different rules on how to use them. Two stores have the same type of scanner, but one doesn't let you scan the card, the cashier has to do that. The other, you have to swipe the card. The other ones have different types of scanners. One has scanners where you have to swipe toward the thick side as you mentioned and another has it the opposite. It's really a big mess.
                        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Working...
                        X