This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
    Be that as it may, I am incapable of walking out of a bookstore (or library) with any fewer than 4 books. My "to read" stack is getting a bit ridiculous, lol.
    Oh, believe me, I'm a total bibliophile, too. Every time we go up to Portland, I have to stop at Powell's City of Books (Five floors of new and used books; I could spend all day there!) I also have a huge to-read pile of books, as well as old favorites I reread time and time again.

But if you worked there, you'd have to shelve and re-shelve books constantly, deal with thoughtless idiots who leave torn, stained and sticky books that you then have to dispose of, retrieve the Kama Sutra from the children's section for the fiftieth time, etc. So yeah, it does get irritating, and probably more so for someone who loves books and hates to see them mistreated.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
      A true fan of ANY book settles for no less than hardcover.
      I am a true fan of several authors (my favourite ones have been replaced at least once after they fell apart from re-reading*) but the only author that I've deliberately bought hardcovers for was Terry Pratchett (I just couldn't wait!)

I have storage issues (not enough places to keep them) and back issues (hardcovers are heavy) so 99% of the time I only pick up paperbacks. Discovering I could download e-books on my smartphone was a godsend.

*I actually got one particular author to sign my dying paperback before I bought a replacement copy. No, it's not worth anything to anyone other than me, but it made the author happy that I loved the book that much!
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        Hardcovers are awfully difficult to lug around, especially for those (like me) who get most of their reading done on break at work, or on public transportation (or waiting for public transportation). I prefer paperbacks, myself.
        I suppose that's true. Though what you could do is have the hardcover for home reading and to look nice on your shelf and use the paperback for reading on the go...it's the best of both worlds!

While I don't do the whole e-reader thing, I do have the 100 Great Books on the Nintendo DS...so you could say that's kinda like a "poor man's e-reader".
        Last edited by Estil; 07-21-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
          I suppose that's true. Though what you could do is have the hardcover for home reading and to look nice on your shelf and use the paperback for reading on the go...it's the best of both worlds!
          I can't afford to buy two different versions of every book I buy.

Comment

I also prefer the physical book to the e-book. Some I get in hard back, others in trade or regular paperback. (A trade paperback is larger than a regular paperback.) Although I don't have a preference on book size, I do like to have all volumes of a series in the same format.

I also have several hundred e-books, all of which were free online. I read these on my smartphone or computer. It's nice having a selection on my smart phone since I will always have a book to read when waiting for Mrs. IA.

For free e-books check out the following web sites:

Baen Books Free Library

Second Baen Books web site

BookBub - They will send a daily email with free and cheap e-books.

Project Gutenberg

Gutenberg Australia

epubBooks

Feedbooks - public domain books

HundredZeros
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've really tried to stop buying books. I currently have 18 books checked out at the library, with about 12 more on hold. I read about 3-5 books a week, although on vacation, I was completing about a book a day. I have re-read books so many times, I have them memorized. So I've been trying to NOT buy books and utilize the library. I can't afford my reading habit :P

Comment

Me neither.

Not sure if it would be worth switching to an e-reader or not . . . a lot of the paperbacks I have are vintage (60's through 80's novels) and not sure if they are available in that format.

Besides, there's just something special about holding an actual book and flipping those pages. Also, you have that old book smell as well. Nothing quite like it.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                  So I've been trying to NOT buy books and utilize the library. I can't afford my reading habit :P
                  The problem with libraries is you have to give the books back.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I was super-duper anti e-reader for a long time. Now I love mine. But I decided on my own to try it, no amount of people telling me how awesome it was would make me try it. In fact, when people try to convince me, it makes me less likely to do it. So I totally get the non e-book mentality.

Even when I did by all physical books, I didn't care for hardbacks. Why? Because they are heavy. Yup, I didn't like how heavy they are to carry around, and hold while reading. What can I say, I'm a giant baby. I would still buy a book if it was for a Lit class. I tend to write in books, and I don't like doing that in e-books. I just like to open the book and see all my annotations. If I ever am able to buy a house, or otherwise get into a place permanently, I'll buy more actual books. I live in less than 450 sq ft, and I have room for one bookshelf. The rest of my books are in "storage." (my parents house) I have a set of textbooks from the 40s from my great-aunt when she enrolled in a correspondence college.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My biggest problem with e-books is that I'm unwilling to take my laptop or phone in with me when I want to soak in a bubble bath and read.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        Besides, there's just something special about holding an actual book and flipping those pages. Also, you have that old book smell as well. Nothing quite like it.
                        Nothing like riffing through the pages of an older paperback and smelling the pages. Same thing with CD liner notes (which is why I don't own an iPod).

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                          I don't have room in my tiny little house for duplicates. I have one set of shelves which are currently triple-stacked on each shelf (I really need to have another prune). Hardbacks take up far too much space, which is why PTerry was the only author I'd go hardback with.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            But if you worked there, you'd have to shelve and re-shelve books constantly, deal with thoughtless idiots who leave torn, stained and sticky books that you then have to dispose of, retrieve the Kama Sutra from the children's section for the fiftieth time, etc.
                            But would you have to remove books about dragons and fairies from the Nature section, and books about advanced physics and its relation to eastern mysticism from humour? Cookies for reference.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              But would you have to remove books about dragons and fairies from the Nature section, and books about advanced physics and its relation to eastern mysticism from humour? Cookies for reference.
                              Mallpurgis Nacht. Rick Cook. Maraschino cherries will bounce...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Dalesys, here's a chocolate macadamia nut macaroon oatmeal peanut butter square. By the way, how much is that winged lizard that's picking its teeth with a feather?

Have you read any of his other books (Limbo System, and the "Wizardry" series)? You'd probably get a kick out of the trip to Comdex in "The Wizardry Quested".
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X