This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Gallery

We have a huge heroin problem in Rhode Island.
    Not sure why.

But not a single day goes by that I don't sell syringes to junkies.
    And every single one of them has the same story:
    "It's for my gramma."

Look, you don't need a backstory, I'm going to sell you the needle regardless.
    But could you please not throw them in the bushes when you're done shooting up?

Every state has a huge heroin problem. It's just the way it is right now. Where I live, we recently lost 10 people in a 24-hour period to bad heroin - dealers are cutting it with fentanyl.

Taking death notices for people less than half my age who died of a tainted drug is damn depressing.

*ahem* Back on topic - they don't need a prescription to get needles?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The swamp doesn't sell syringes over the counter. At least I can't ever recall stocking them.

Hmm.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think the recent heroin epidemic is largely caused by people who become addicted to opiate painkillers after an injury, then suddenly find the legal supply cut off after recovery. Dealers don't ask for prescriptions or IDs.
        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Mrs. TGK, has to show an ID for her needles.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Just curious, but why?
            Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

I know I do, but I also get them in the case of 100 syringes from the local military base dispensary [free, I have Tri-Care and get all my meds on base for free except my Invokana] and pretty much anything on base requires showing a military ID [or military/DOD contractor ID]

And the fun thing is, the scrip is written for the 2 - 100 count case per 90 days, but I only go through 180 syringes in 90 days so I am gradually stockpiling syringes ... I guess for the zombie apocalypse?

[Goes along with the excess wound care goodies from the last time I had abdominal surgery with drainage ... I think I still have a box of nitrile gloves, a few boxes of 6x6 hydrofera blues, tape ... at one point we were showing up at my appointments and they were just handing over bags of supplies ... though Rob is quite excellent at wound care now =) Beats the hell out of being stuck in the hospital especially at a military hospital.]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Same reason you have to show ID for decent cold meds: to keep track of the ones who are using more than they should and might be addicts.

Not terribly long ago we did a brain death scan on a guy who OD'd on heroin. He and two of his buddies came in at the same time. We figured they'd gotten a bad batch. The other two eventually recovered. He....didn't. I'd say probably 90%-95% of the brain death scans we do are from overdose. Just had one the other day in fact. Young guy too.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  And the fun thing is, the scrip is written for the 2 - 100 count case per 90 days, but I only go through 180 syringes in 90 days so I am gradually stockpiling syringes ... I guess for the zombie apocalypse?
                  Sounds like "memoryless" prescribing. The doc writes a prescription for the minimum number of cases that will cover the time period of the prescription (I'm assuming cases can't be broken down, so he can't prescribe a partial case). Since you use 180 in 90 days, and they're 100 per case, that's 2 cases. Next 90 day period comes along, and again he prescribes 2 cases, never taking into account the "leftovers" from the previous prescription.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I don't remember any laws that we had to id people who bought needles and syringes. However, we did have one pharmacist who refused to sell them unless you could prove a need. If you had insulin on your profile or something he would do it but otherwise no dice. He got in to a yelling match with a guy over it. Me on the other hand, I figured that they would do it either way might as well try to make it safer by letting them use new needles and such.

Comment

Quoth mhdagley View Post
                      I figured that they would do it either way might as well try to make it safer by letting them use new needles and such.
                      This! New needles and syringes reduce the risc of infection considerably. Less new HIV+, HepC and other unpleasant blood transmitted infections - win/win!
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I had to present mine at the drugstore when I last picked up Mom's needles as well. We're having our own issues as well w/heroin OD's in the area - had almost 2 dozen people dead within a short span earlier in the year.

Even worse, I had to pay for those needles (they used to be free but that changed around the time Mom started on Medicare.)
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Rhode Island has a clean needle law - we have to sell syringes to junkies to prevent the spread of disease.

Comment

Back 15 or 16 years ago when my Ex was first diagnosed with diabeteas, they started her off with 2 injectable insulins. In Illinois (Chicago area) they required ID for the syringes. I guess because of the rampant injectable drug problem.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                              In Illinois (Chicago area) they required ID for the syringes. I guess because of the rampant injectable drug problem.
                              As we're in that area, that was my guess. As well my mother has to show one for pseudophenadrine-based antihistamines (the only kind that enable to function).
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X