This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *THE* most common SC for retailers?

I was wondering if this was probably the most common statement made by customers at retail stores...

When you try to scan an item and it doesn't work, the customer says "If it doesn't scan, it's free, right?" or something similar.

How do YOU reply to it?
    Ignore them
    36.92%
    Laugh like it not the 10,000th time you heard it
    16.92%
    Explain that you have to scan it or enter the UPC
    9.23%
    Choke them
    9.23%
    Post about them here
    12.31%
    Other (Please explain)
    15.38%

I usually look them in the eye and say in my most dead-pan voice, "Wow, I have never heard that one before". Then I grin like a fool so they know I meant no hard feelings. Usual response is they look a little embaressed and then chuckle at the silliness of it.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I just frown at them and continue.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Mara-chan View Post
        I was wondering if this was probably the most common statement made by customers at retail stores...

When you try to scan an item and it doesn't work, the customer says "If it doesn't scan, it's free, right?" or something similar.

How do YOU reply to it?
        I give them a fairly frosty look... my theory is that this joke will continue to infect the retail community until all of my fellow keepers of the retail faith band together and resist.

Comment

I chose laugh, post, and other... the other being dying a little inside... I even die a little inside from the other side of the counter.

Comment

I attempt top ignore it, sometimes they say something like "that was a joke", to which I reply "I know, I've already heard it". That usually shuts them up, sometimes embarrasses them too.

Comment

SC: "Har Har, It must be free!"

Me: "Actually, it's priceless. Still want it?"

I learned that here on this board! It works! Shuts them up that's for sure!
              WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

It Must Be Free!!!! Hyuk Hyuk Snort Snerk
                I always stop what I'm doing, look them in the eye and say "Why is that"?
                They never have an answer and by that time it usually has scanned and they realize they aren't funny after all.

Comment

"Doesn't scan, it must be free!"
                  "Er... no... y'see, this is why we have these wonderful things called 'fingers'... they let me type in the fifty digit code... *type type type* And then, my hands turned into sea anemones... but it's a handy code, sure enough."
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth MaverickGypsy View Post
                    It Must Be Free!!!! Hyuk Hyuk Snort Snerk
                    I always stop what I'm doing, look them in the eye and say "Why is that"?
                    They never have an answer and by that time it usually has scanned and they realize they aren't funny after all.
                    That's what I say too. To any of those stupid comments SC's come up with. They never know WTF to say to that.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      "Doesn't scan, it must be free!"
                      "Er... no... y'see, this is why we have these wonderful things called 'fingers'... they let me type in the fifty digit code... *type type type* And then, my hands turned into sea anemones... but it's a handy code, sure enough."
                      omg, I just laughed so hard at this that the pepsi Im drinking almost came out my nose!

Comment

I usually say something along the lines of "Heh, yeah, don't we wish that was true."

Comment

Quoth Thatgirl71 View Post
                          omg, I just laughed so hard at this that the pepsi Im drinking almost came out my nose!
                          *bows* Name that reference!
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

My usual response is to smile and say in as wistful a tone as I can manage, "Wouldn't that be nice?"
                            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

A nice withering "I don't think so. I'll just put it in by hand" usually works for me if I've heard it a lot. This usually shuts them up, and hopefully discourages them from bringing it out again. Sometimes though, I'm in a good enough mood to play along, although they still get a filthy look after the laugh.
                              Last edited by MannersMakethMan; 12-22-2008, 09:36 PM.
                              "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Working...
                              X