Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I heard it, I just told him "Yeahhhh, about that, the word is priceless; not free. And when I hear it now days, I die a little more inside
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I voted ignore, post about it here, and other. Other being either the icy glare of doom, or one of the following responses (feel free to use them):

"It didn't scan, it must be free!"

Response:
      -You can't scan gas either. Go try that next time you swing through the station up the street, They love that.
      -And I must be a runway model. Sadly, neither is true.
      -Congrats, you are the Xth person to say that today. Prize? You get out of the store with your head still attached.
      -Yeah, free to look at. If you want to actually use it, *beep* it's $xx.xx.
      -Yes sir, the best things in life are free. But this is better, so it's not free.
      -Scanning? Hah, I have fingers! *types in number*

Comment

My response: "If it doesn't scan it means I can charge you as much as I want."
        If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

Depends on what kind of mood I'm or or more accurately if they've been an idiot in the run up to that sentence.
          Good mood- Explain I need to put something through the till, and since I don't want to overcharge them I need to find the right code.(usually there is a back up somewhere on the item I can type).

Bad day-I just freeze loose my 'normal' retail smile and give the what an idiot look, then stop talking to them for the rest of the transaction beyond the necessary. After a minute that sometimes gets the message across that I am not a happy bunny.

Ps Camry178 Love your response mine if I plagiarise and use it.
          Please excuse me , I need to wander round the corner to scream now, before my head explodes.

Comment

My standard was always "No, it means I get to make up a price."

Comment

Quoth going gaga View Post

Ps Camry178 Love your response mine if I plagiarise and use it.

Anytime...This is what family's for..We give each other pointers..
              If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

Kinda makes me glad I got out of retail before scanners became common place. Used to be, if there's no tag on it, then it must be free.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I usually answer with, "No, that means it is double the price since I have to do more work." That usually shuts them up but quick.
                  The key to customer service is accepting the following:
                  Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Comment

Wow. There are a lot of good responses here. I'm sure I'll get a chance to use them. I never thought to ask the SC why the item should be free if it doesn't scan, though. I should try that. It has produced some good responses when I ask them why they think they deserve a discount.

I voted for "other," too. My response has already been posted, but I say something along the lines of: "I wish! I'd have a lot of free stuff if that were true." I use the same line when sane, reasonable customers joke that computers should be on a BOGO-Free sale.
                    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                    - IPF

Comment

If I have stupid customers like that, I just say "only of the RCMP don't catch you and you can hide out for a looong time."

They usually say either laugh, or give the typical cop stereotype of cops not being able to run and keep up with bad guys. Not going to happen in this town. Most of them have either a four-pack or a six-pack. And they ride in the Cops For Cancer tours.
                      "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                        -Yes sir, the best things in life are free. But this is better, so it's not free.
                        Or just quote the song... "The best things in life are free, but you can give them to the birds and bees. I want money."

(Bonus points if all the other cashiers pop up out of nowhere and sing backup... "that's... what I want!")
                        Last edited by VComps; 12-26-2008, 01:14 AM. Reason: oops, forgot to close the quote tag

Comment

Nyeh, I must be boring then. I just chuckle and then punch in the numbers.
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Doesn't scan

Kay I am reading this to mean even manually entering into the computer doesn't scan.

"Price Check Till ### "

Comment

Unfortunately, the powers that be at my store seem to lack a sense of humor.

I either ignore the comment or say something along the lines of "Unfortunately, no. I like my job, you see."

Quoth VComps View Post
                              (Bonus points if all the other cashiers pop up out of nowhere and sing backup... "that's... what I want!")
                              I'll be your coworker and backup singer.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post
                                Or just quote the song... "The best things in life are free, but you can give them to the birds and bees. I want money."

*hastily scribbles that down*

Too bad half the time I'm working the pool store, I'm the only cashier there...but I bet the awesome Bossman!K would do it. He got us BS buttons, for goodness sake.

Comment

Working...
                                X