Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay SCs givin me grey hair. Very long.

How come they don't make those e-mails that when the person receives it, and they open it, a fist comes out of the monitor and punches them in the face . . .

We just had an "Item Not Described" dispute opened on us earlier today on eBay. Why? Because the Buyer is a retard. . .

We purchased a 1GB stick of RAM off of eBay, the seller says it was pulled from a working system, no problems there, his auction states, "Not responsible for incompatibility issues." We receive it, our computer won't run it, it just beeps at us and that's it. Oh wonderful, our computer's not compatible (we know nothing about computers, and it's an older computer, we assumed it's a compatibility issue). We'll, that's our fault, instead of throwing a hissy fit, we'll just repost the RAM and hope it finds a new home.

In the meantime, we purchase another stick, a 512MB stick, brand new. We receive the RAM, computer does the same thing. It beeps and won't work. Oh cripes, what now? I e-mail the manufacture's website, I e-mail our computer's manufacturer's website and I have ask a question on Yahoo's! Ask - the websites say it should be compatible, Yahoo's! Ask said it was a bad stick of RAM (two bad sticks in a row? I think that's unlikely considering this one is new, and we were very careful with both) It should be compatible right? Wrong. I take our computer and the stick of 512 to work, to show to a co-worker who's a computer guru (whom I should have gone to first). It took him a few minutes to figure out the problem. . .

It's Registered! Our computer won't run registered, it's older. Registered RAM is mostly used for servers and newer computers. We'll, again, our fault, we'll resell on eBay, hoping the 512 will get a new home.

Meanwhile, the buyer of the 1GB e-mails us, very demanding, saying he was going to send the stick back and wants a refund. Wha? Refund? What's your computer doing? "It beeps, you sent me a bad stick of RAM." Not only was this buy DEMANDING and RUDE, he also took a long hell of a time getting back to us . . . 3-4 days in between e-mails (when we would respond to his e-mails immediately). We go back and forth, we're trying to tell the stick isn't bad, his computer simply won't run it. We also wrote on our auction, "Not responsible for incompatibility issues." Nope, he wouldn't accept that. Still demanding a refund. No. We refuse. (Plus, he's got like 1 feedback and is new member). If you were nicer about it, we would have been more accomodating, but since you're acting childish, we're not going to do it. We even wrote that the 1GB RAM was registered. So two weeks and about 4 e-mails later, he opens a dispute, well claim, in Paypal. Basically saying he wanted to resolve this issue like adults and he's "gotta do, what he's gotta do." Adults? The idiot would hardly communicate with us . . . I replied to the dispute, basically covering the fact that it was REGISTERED RAM and older computers won't normally run it and that we have had the same exact problems. There was nothing misrepresented about the RAM, we were just stating what we knew - when the auction was posted, however, we did not know about the whole Registered Ram thing - we just assumed our computer was too old to run a whole gig of RAM - we still wrote that it was Registered though in the auction. The case in review now.

Sorry about the long rant, but seriously, what percentage of the population is disrespectful and self-centered? Don't they ever stop to think about other people? I have a strong dislike for rude people.
    This area is left blank for a reason.

Quoth karma_gypsy
    (Plus, he's got like 1 feedback and is new member).
    Have you noticed that most of the bad feedback comes from newbies? If I'm checking out a seller who's new to me and the only bad feedback they have is from former users, users with less than 10 feedback, or users with negatives, I discount a lot of the negative feedback, and consider buying from them.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I've had a horrible history with eBay, personally.
      Now remember, kiddies, I live in Missouri (very important)!

I had put up a few lots of video games that I hadn't touched in forever, and there's nowhere around that I can sell used comp games...

About a week after I finished up the last of the lots, I got a call on my phone line (Mom has one for upstairs, I have one downstairs).

G: husband
      H: wife
      M: I have no idea.

G:"Hello, is this Mr. *my last name*?"
      M:"Which one, in particular?" (there were three misters in my family)
      G:"The one who was running eBay auctions?"
      M:"Yes, that'd be me?"
      G:"Okay, my wife won one of your auctions, and she had a question for you..." *he hands the phone off to his wife*
      H:"Hi there, I won an auction from you, and to be honest, I can't remember what it was, but I don't think I got it..."
      M:"Now that's an oddity, what's your name, I'll check my history...and out of curiosity, how'd you get my phone number?"
      H:"*name*, and I looked it up on some directory online."
      M:"Alright... looks like you won the RPG lot, FF8, Longest Adenture, and a few others."
      H:"Ah, right. I never got that."
      M: *looking at my PayPal account, and realizing she was the one who paid with a credit card! (For those who don't know: PayPal charges a 'small' fee to process credit cards. On an auction that only got as high as $15, that fee cut it in half, at least.)* "I sent it out, along with another package, last week. I might have gotten the labels swapped... what did you get from me?"
      H:"*list of games in Other lot*
      M: F*ck. "Yup, that's what happened. And the guy who won those has been emailing me daily for status on those games, even after I told him I was out of town for the weekend, he emailed."
      H:"So, what are you going to do?"
      M:"All I can possibly do at this point is to refund your payment." (Ha! Now you'll see what I dealt with getting PayPal to process a credit card!)
      H:"Good, now, do you want these games back?"
      M:"Not really, I'll give you the other guy's contact info, and the two of you can get in touch, find out if he wants to just swap boxes..."
      H:"Okay."
      I give her the info, and think nothing more about the auctions, until I get feedback from her, and she had contacted the other guy to tell him I tried to rip her off. Excuse me? When? I refunded your money, I never even tried to hold on to it.
      The other thing that pissed me off about those computer game lots were that I missed putting in that the buyer would be paying shipping, and thus, on lots that only got into the tens of dollars, I had to pay to ship them, basically negating what I won for them.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

ebay seems to be a varied lot, then; a friend of mine went to buy a boxed set of anime, not a problem-yet.

the shipment arrives, and she opens them to find out that she's bought...a pirated copy.

she emails the seller, who doesn't seem to understand the problem with this; after about two more emails, they become rude and abusive, accusing her of theft (she contacted ebay and reported them; ebay gave her a refund), and has harrassed her several times since.

over what? illegal copies; here's to you getting a jail cell and a hefty fine, jackass.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

i ended up with kinda the opposite.

i bought 24 season 4 through EBay, just after it was released over here. It arrives and it's an obvious pirate, misisng extras, CUT rather than CTU in the blurb etc. so i email the seller and complain and to avoid getting neg feedback they refund all my money. thus i ot a free dvd boxset.

Comment

I ordered the first season of Inuyasha as a box set a few months before they started showing it on Cartoon Network. Got the movies, really excited about it, pop the first into my DVD player... guess what I get?
            Scan lines.
            I got VCD copies of the episodes. If that's what I wanted, I could've kept downloading them off the net...

Also, ordered a copy of Memories off eBay. The auction ended at something like a dollar, if I remember correctly... a few weeks later, I get a CD sleeve with two unremarkable silvery CDs in it. Pop one into my DVD drive... nothin'. The DVD prog doesn't show up... I check the drive. The drive says there is a disc, but it's not showing anything on the disc. I just kinda shrugged and decided I got two CDs for a dollar.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I think people should be required to take an IQ test before registering for eBay. I swear, there are just as many SCs on eBay as there are in stores. Where are these people coming from?

Comment

eBay can be tough!

Hello!

I've done a lot of selling and buying on eBay and I understand where you're coming from! Here's a few things I've learned in my time with eBay and by reading through the "Seller Central" discussion board.

1) Not everyone who has zero or one feedback are newbies. I recently opened a new user ID with eBay because...You should NEVER use one ID to buy and sell with! Use a buyers ID and sellers ID. Why? Feedback. Buyer feedback means nothing. Buyers can bid at the last second of an auction (sniping) and the sellers don't have time to react and cancel their bids before the auction ends. Once the auction is won, the seller has to sell to the highest bidder. Seller feedback IS important. If a bidder is smart, they check the sellers feedback before bidding. If you have a lot of bad feedback (less than 99.6%) a lot of people just hit the back button and go to the next auction. Protect your seller feedback.

2) I see this statement in auctions all the time: "Seller is not responsible for shipping damages if insurance is not bought". WRONG! You can ASK your buyer to pay for the insurance, but if they refuse, buy it anyway! Insurance protects the sender. Not the receiver. You'll have to refund the buyers money (only after getting the widget back) and submit a claim from the post office. You'll get your money back from them.

3) Reserve price auctions are not a good idea. If you MUST use a reserve auction, put the reserve price in the body of your auction. Or, if someone e-mails you and wants to know what the reserve price is, tell them. It's not a big secret! The best thing is to list your item for the least amount you're willing to sell it for.

4) Always send your packages with delivery confirmation and signature required, as well as tracking! Paypal seller protections require this and they will side with the buyer every time if those options are not utilized. A lot of sellers have gotten away from taking Paypal as a form of payment because Paypal is there to protect the buyers. All it takes is a SNAD complaint and the buyer will get their money back!

5) Do NOT attach your Paypal account to your regular checking account! Open a separate checking account specifically for Paypal. Paypal can debit money from your checking account at any time and will do so when they find in the buyers favor. An unexpected debit can make outstanding checks bounce.

These are just a few things to keep in mind as you are selling on eBay. Protect yourself, be courteous and professional with your buyers and have fun! I hope this helps!

Comment

Clintmax

i've got a better idea, stay out of the sewer called ebay. craigs list doesn't have as many scammers buying (though there is plenty of illegal activity, including hookers)
                  DILLIGAF

Comment

Hi Clintmax, welcome to the boards.

I don't know about eBay, but our TradeMe would not be too happy with your first suggestion. Multiple accounts aren't allowed.

Comment

Ebay and TradeMe are not the same thing. Ebay doesn't have a problem with multiple accounts, as long as they are not used for illegitimate bidding (shilling, bidding just to leave bad feedback, etc). I do a moderate amount of buying and selling on Ebay, and I've never felt the need to have separate accounts for buying and selling, probably because I am clearly a private individual and not a trader, and because I'm honest.

Unfortunately, certain Ebay categories do attract huge amounts of scammers and dubious individuals; computer stuff, electronic equipment, mobile phones. The only time I ever got involved in a serious scam was when I sold a mobile phone, and I should have seen it coming.

I've bought a number of things from the US and Canada including coats, videos and music CDs and never had a problem, but that's because I read feedback and look at transaction histories. I also don't automatically see negatives as a bad thing, because as others have said, you can get negs for all sorts of things. My main personal no-no is buying stuff from people with private feedback. I won't touch those with a bargepole.
                      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                      - Dave Barry

Comment

I buy from ebay quite frequently, but I usually buy from a few select sellers.

The other "new" sellers I've tried haven't given me problems, but I always read all their negative feedback first to see what probs went on before. The only big prob was with one seller who didn't send out my product for 1 month, saying that he lived very far from a Post offce... (USA to Canada shipping). I didn't mind that much, but he didn't mention it to me, making me think the item was lost in mail. I only found out later when I emailed him and asked if the item was shipped.

Comment

UPDATE:

O.k., so the Paypal case is still in review. The guy left us negative though, although we did the same in return. It hurts him more than it did us. He's got 0 feedback now (he was +1) which he's sittin at 50%. Us? We're a little over 99%.

We'll probably lose the case though, Paypal always favors the buyer.

Quoth Barefootgirl
                          I do a moderate amount of buying and selling on Ebay, and I've never felt the need to have separate accounts for buying and selling, probably because I am clearly a private individual and not a trader, and because I'm honest.

I agree, I've had my account for 8 eight years (and counting!), I use it for both selling and buying.

Comment

Working...
                          X