Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is only one Christmas song that I will listen to at any time of the year.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

The Ronnie James Dio version.

Comment

Quoth rockinricky View Post
      The Ronnie James Dio version.
      Damn, I'm a huge Dio fan, and I never knew about that one. I'm going to have to check that out. One of my greatest regrets was that I never got to see him in concert.

EDIT: Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZELjIqHQlUY
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas,
        In every store you go!
        Take a look down isle ten,
        Glistening once again,
        With candy canes and glitter chains a glow!
        It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas,
        Toys in every floor!
        The awfullest sight to see is the Black Friday sign that will be
        On your own store's front door!

This is what was running through my head when I walked into Mart of Wals on Sunday.. and saw xmas stuff already in the garden center.
        If these forums had a like button, I would SO like this twenty times by now.

A couple of us are trying to come up with a version of Twelve Days of Christmas for Random Craft Store.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
          ... Random Craft Store.
          I read that as "Random Crap Store"

... and had a vision of shelves full of tole painted and gilded droppings...

"Look! I gotta have this group of Elvis playing poker with the dogs. Doesn't this one look like Willie?"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
            If these forums had a like button, I would SO like this twenty times by now.

A couple of us are trying to come up with a version of Twelve Days of Christmas for Random Craft Store.
            On the twelfth day of Christmas, my craft store gave to me....

12 tons of glitter,
            11 yards of ribbon,
            10 last-minute dawdlers
            9 pairs of scissors
            8 children "decorating"
            7 damaged fabrics
            Six tangled yarn balls
            Fiiiiiveee.....giant liness.......
            4 scary folks
            3 "ah shits"
            2 assistants and
            a burned finger with a glue gun...

OK, it needs tweaking but I give you permission to steal.

ETA: I have also seen glittery Halloween stuff. Which of course culminates in the usual bitching around Aussies celebrating an "American" holiday (and when the argument is made about its pagan origins, the argument typically stems to "but shops don't sell <insert object used for Samhain here>" or that if you want to get picky, Samhain down here is celebrated when Beltane is celebrated in America).

As for Christmas stuff, the only places I have seen so far that have gotten in on the "Christmas" crapola have been:

-Two craft store chains (one of which is more like a glorified art supply store, the other of which is an actual art/craft/homeware store) have parts of, or a whole aisle, dedicated to Christmas stuff. For the store that has a whole aisle dedicated to Christmas stuff, I was very annoyed to discover that they got rid of a whole aisle worth of wool just to accommodate the Christmas stuff. (at least for the store near home)

-The two major upmarket department store chains (Myer/David Jones), although they call them their Christmas "shops". There's a whole section (or in some cases, a whole FLOOR) dedicated to Christmas galore.

-Most newsagents are starting to stock Christmas cards and random Christmas bric-a-brac.
            Last edited by fireheart; 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We officially got the annual Christmas lottery scratchers in today. Now, don't get me wrong. Christmas is my favorite holiday. That doesn't mean I really want to see it in September or October!
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                Christmas is my favorite holiday. That doesn't mean I really want to see it in September or October!
                Of course, programmers EXPECT Christmas in October. After all, to a programmer, 31 OCT and 25 DEC are equivalent.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                  We officially got the annual Christmas lottery scratchers in today. Now, don't get me wrong. Christmas is my favorite holiday. That doesn't mean I really want to see it in September or October!
                  Oh god, so did we. I just checked them in and threw all 15 packs into the safe! The packing slip included with the packs "suggested" displaying them before the 2nd of October!

Comment

Fireheart, that is awesome! I may just have to steal that.

We got individual ornaments in the other day. Three of us spent the entire truck shift putting them out and when I left, we STILL weren't done.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth ShetenshiSenshi View Post
                      Oh god, so did we. I just checked them in and threw all 15 packs into the safe! The packing slip included with the packs "suggested" displaying them before the 2nd of October!
                      I wish I could've done that. Alas, the (admittedly awesome, usually) lottery rep had been in earlier and taken tickets out to make room for the holiday ones, so I had little choice but to put them out.
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                      X