Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ow. Brain can't Brain. I has the dumb - or "how Lupo spent her Wednesday workday"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ow. Brain can't Brain. I has the dumb - or "how Lupo spent her Wednesday workday"

Because it just doesn't seem to get the point across just ranting about it...allow me to give a rough hour-by-hour breakdown of my day... (*note, some details tweaked to avoid giving away too much*)

11 am - Boss drops a project on me, a 67 page report that needs to have every single line item entered into a particular system, asks me to let him know when I finish it all today, he has another project

11:02 am - Finish laughing hysterically at boss for assuming this will be all finished today.

11:05 am - realize boss is serious and fervently wish you had money to go get a LARGE dose of caffeine from the cafeteria before diving in.

11:10 am - Finally get logged into the THREE different parts of the system needed to complete said project and get started.

12 pm - Fervent dislike for boss starts, as page 2 is only just now getting completed.

12:30 - Coworker arrives and takes over helping customers and answering phones giving more time to finish report

1 pm - Curse at the entry system and go log in AGAIN because it timed out when I stepped away for a bathroom break. Stupid overzealous security measures.

1:30 pm - break for lunch, only 15 pages in, and Google "Can you develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in a single afternoon?" while eating.

2 pm - Lunch break over, get back to it.

2:30 pm - No, Boss, I will NOT answer your emails, your office is 12 feet away, just come out and ASK, I promise I won't threaten you with the mallet again... (page 30 completed!!)

3 pm - Realize I've missed completed page 29, and go back to it after finishing page 38. *sob*

3:30 pm - Start to wonder if your eyeballs really can spontaneously start to bleed... (page 42 complete)

4 pm - Realize the final total on the report seems off, even though I'm only up to page 45 and frantically call the business office to find out why. Get told "Oh, remember that one issue we said we'd clear up by sending you a report? We went ahead and bundled it in with this one, to save time.

4:27 pm - hang up with the student business office, look at the clock and realize "nope, not getting out of here by 5 like originally planned"

4:30 pm - bang head on desk, repeatedly, hoping to make that weird line the business office put in "to help save time" make SENSE

4:45 - After gaining a concussion, realize how to incorporate that rogue data in correctly and continue with the report. Page 46 completed.

5:00 pm - sigh and wish you could be packing up right now, but page 50 completed.

5:10 pm - Wait for the eyebrow to stop twitching after the boss quips "so, you're gonna stick around until we close at 6? You must LOVE us!"

5:30 pm - wish you hadn't promised to stop threatening the boss with the mallet. Page 60 completed

5:50 pm - tell boss, no he canNOT leave 10 minutes early, since there's nothing left to do right now, maybe even growling a little - despite knowing he's joking.

6:00 pm - REJOICE!! Completed page 67!!! Run the final totals...and it's off by a small amount.

6:02 pm - amidst weeping, do a random, just for the hell of it search on the spreadsheet. Find where the numbers were borked and correct it.

6:05 pm - COMPLETE THE REPORT!! One step left, to take it to the specific computer where these things are kept and run it through a particular system.

6:07 pm - Try not to kill boss because he ALREADY SHUT THAT COMPUTER OFF!

6:10 pm - computer rebooted, program open, final process complete!!!

6:15 - DONE!! Punch out and head home a full 75 minutes after scheduled to leave.

Sometimes a gal needs a glass of wine and a hot soak. I have no wine, so I'm doing a relaxing face mask, said hot soak, and trying to relax. My right wrist hurts, my eyeballs ache and I'm TIRED.

I do hope you get overtime pay for that.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post

5:10 pm - Wait for the eyebrow to stop twitching after the boss quips "so, you're gonna stick around until we close at 6? You must LOVE us!"
      ^^
      That right there is when I would have picked up my things and gone home.

Comment

"Oh yes! To death!

Unfortunately, you're still here."
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Not that I counted or anything, but apparently I entered 1259 lines in yesterday. Ow.

Still wondering if I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome... >.o

Comment

/offers one of her spare wrist braces
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Oh geeze....hugs and such.

Comment

Would offer hugs... but any more squeezing of the hand may cause it to shrivel and drop off. Have a hoof flick instead
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Poor Lupo.

6:00 pm - REJOICE!! Completed page 67!!! Run the final totals...and it's off by a small amount.
                  I had this happen twice last week. Cue poring over 100+ pages trying to find the mistake. Cue a very frustrated Redhead.
                  "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

You just described my end of year state taxes. 25 pages and have to be right to the penny. Do you know how well pennies can hide?!?!?!?!
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I can so relate. Yes, I've had this stuff happen a lot. I just ask why no one bothered to ask for my help when it was given to them the day they got it and not waited several days (as in one day before it was due!) for my assistance.
                      Random conversation:
                      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                        You just described my end of year state taxes. 25 pages and have to be right to the penny. Do you know how well pennies can hide?!?!?!?!
                        Have you checked between the cushions in your couch?
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                        X