This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Day at the Shop

I work nights at a high precision Milling and Lathe plant. Good work, pays decent (for the area), and NO CUSTOMERS

But there are still "less then good" days. Not bad per-say but still I am glad not to be the floor manager.

I go in to take over a machine for my shift. My first part and the pallet changer jams (a pc is used so we can switch parts while the other pallet is running). It happens from time to time, chips fall wrong, no ones fault. I know my supervisor is busy getting filled in on all the machines that are running so I get the Set-Up Tech to help.

He comes over and fixes the machine but we heard a loud bang in the process. I run the first part. It is now off-center by .025 in X and .005 in Y (in inches). I tell the Tech, he said he was leaving and would let my Super know. It takes us 40 minutes to fix the problem and 3 pieces were scrap (you can not know if you fixed it until after you run a part). My Super is not happy that the Set-Up tech crashed the pallet and then left, leaving us to fix it and having to claim the bad parts (scrap counts against you, management does not make a big deal unless it is a high percentage, usually), but that the scrap would not count against me.

So I start running a bit behind schedule. One of the Lathes is having trouble on a difficult part. Then one of the Mills is having trouble. I did not get the details and I am thankful it is Super that is having to deal with it and not me.

We are laid back on nights, only 6 people compared to the 30 on days. So the rules are not as strictly enforced. EXCEPT FOR ONE (cue dramatic music).

After our 10PM break, I noticed something odd. The radio station was playing Christian Music. I like Christian Music, but I know that my Super is an Atheist. This means someone broke about the only major rule we have on night shift. DO NOT TOUCH THE RADIO. If the day-shift manager comes in and finds it on any other station, they get mad.

He did not notice it at first, so I told him. I figured it was more respectful and better to tell him now then to have a full-shift meeting with a lecture later (also meaning I would get less parts done). In a way, it was fortunate it was the Christian station, or else I would have assumed that the Super changed it to another station.

Oh yea, the SCW did NOT mean to turn it to a Christian station, he just hates Classic Rock. So SCW just hit the seek button, figuring that it would take time before someone realized that the station was changed (it is hard to hear the music over the machines, you still can but hard). What SCW did not know is that only 2 station are picked up using seek. The Classic Rock we were listening too, and the Christian station. The other stations are only picked up if you tune the radio. The problem was not the Christian music (though not appropriate at work) but the fact that NO ONE is allowed to change the station. This is understandable because we can not be fighting over what is on the radio (the old, Country vs Classic Rock vs Pop vs whatever else, problem).

My Supervisor almost sent the guy home for changing the radio station. 2nd BIGGEST RULE (right after safety) do not touch the radio.

As I said not a bad night for me, I did not have to deal with the problems. I even was able to catch up from the problem my machine had at the start and end the night with the same number of parts as I ran yesterday.

Did I mention the no customers yet? We have them, we am just never see them. Even on day-shift, you might see someone touring the shop, but we do not speck to them. I love not dealing with customers.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.
Working...
X