X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's A Long Number

Problem #2 that I've been meaning to talk about:

Ever since I upgraded from 8 to 8.1, I've been having considerable trouble with the app store. I try to install apps, and I get the following error code: 0x80070005. I do not know what it means, mostly because literally all it says is 'Something happened'. I only know that certain apps will not install. Namely, they are apps that it's saying I already own.

I've tried various fixes that I've found on Google but, so far, not a one of 'em has worked.
    Last edited by firecat88; 09-22-2014, 12:32 AM.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

while i haven't played much with the app store, the somethings happened message is a "kinder and gentler" way of saying access denied. i found a possible fix here. from what little i have been able to play with win8 the access controls built in seem to be much more finicky than 7. hope this helps
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I tried it...and received a totally new error. O.o So I looked up the fix for *that* and am hoping it solves all my problems.

EDIT: Dangit. x.x; It didn't work.
      Last edited by firecat88; 09-22-2014, 02:52 AM.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Well, that was a hilariously easy fix. All I had to do was do a repair reinstall of 8.1 and everything works just fine now.

Comment

On a related note -- MS is supposed to be making a big presentation today for Windows 9 (Threshold). Rumor has it that they may offer discounted, or even free upgrades to Windows 8 users (and hopefully Win7 users *crosses fingers*)
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'd love that! I upgraded all of our work machines to Windows 8, along with my home PCs. I've given so much money to Stardock for Start8 and related programs that you'd think that Microsoft would just want to sell an upgrade with those options.

Hmm, too early for them to replace the built-in game from solitaire to Minecraft, right?

Comment

Heh. Actually, the changes are supposedly going to include making the full-screen Start menu optional (off by default), with it now being a hybrid menu by default -- w7-style with small panes attached to it on the right side.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Microsoft is pulling a Netscape -- they're skipping 9. "Threshold" is now going to be Windows "10".

Let's hope it turns out better for Microsoft than it did for Netscape. Guess that'll answer any questions about getting 9 free though.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  Microsoft is pulling a Netscape -- they're skipping 9. "Threshold" is now going to be Windows "10".
                  Has Microsoft forgotten that only the odd number operating systems are good, and the even numbered ones suck?

[Rant]
                  IMHO, Microsoft lost their edge when they stopped having backwards compatibility with their previous operating systems. Why should we need an application like Dosbox? And why don't earlier Windows applications still work? The link in the OP said MS wants to become more of a service industry. Well, I think they've been "servicing" us all along.
                  [/Rant]
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    Has Microsoft forgotten that only the odd number operating systems are good, and the even numbered ones suck?
                    They were worried about the "No-Va" effect of nein in the German-speaking market...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

IA - Because making the systems "definitely backwards compatible" would have, in theory, introduced even *more* security holes and programming kludges than they already had, and that's a scary thought...That, and they (plus all of the people selling software to use) want people to keep buying the new versions. Backwards compatability came into consoles, in earnest, really only with the PS2 (and was half-killed on most PS3s)-- before that, it was just the occasional add-on unit that only came out once the original system was little more than a memory (e.g., Super GameBoy for the SNES or GameBoyPlayer for the GameCube).

I wish BC were closer to standard, but it's essentially regarded as a marketing gimmick by the people who make the software/OS's. The thing is, as the PS2 showed, it's a marketing gimmick that WORKS really, really well when you include it from the get-go That being said, console manufacturers are even worse about this, normally -- Once the new system comes out, their line effectively becomes "[Prior system]? Never heard of it. Was that something Fischer-Price made back in the 80's or what? Why don't you get with the times and buy [new system] like all of your friends, so you can be cool?" -- Ninty has *somewhat*, but not entirely, averted this with the Wii/WiiU and whatever the current reincarnation of the DS is.

On the upside -- Up through the Win2000 era, ntcompatible.com (no longer a real site) did a good job of ferreting out ways to keep older games working on there; XP actually seemed to do a decent job of running x86 apps, as well. It's only really with 7 that most of my older software (mostly games, natch) got truly broken by the OS. Now I just use Steam

...and the even numbered ones suck?
                      Reminds me of the old Sci-Fi promo for their Trek 2/4/6 marathons: "Rules of the universe: Klingons love Shakespeare. Starships don't float. Even-numbered Trek films don't suck."
                      Last edited by EricKei; 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        They were worried about the "No-Va" effect of nein in the German-speaking market...
                        Or Citroen in the French market.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          IA - Because making the systems "definitely backwards compatible" would have, in theory, introduced even *more* security holes and programming kludges than they already had, and that's a scary thought...
                          That does make sense.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          That, and they (plus all of the people selling software to use) want people to keep buying the new versions.
                          I understand that too, except the old games I still want to play rarely get updates so they will work on the new operating systems.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Heh. Actually, the changes are supposedly going to include making the full-screen Start menu optional (off by default), with it now being a hybrid menu by default -- w7-style with small panes attached to it on the right side.
                            There is a way to make the start menu the default one? How?

At least they no longer have that annoying boot up sound action. This laptop has win8 and that thrilled the hell out of me. I hated that bwoinnnnggg! of booting up.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              [Rant]
                              IMHO, Microsoft lost their edge when they stopped having backwards compatibility with their previous operating systems. Why should we need an application like Dosbox? And why don't earlier Windows applications still work? The link in the OP said MS wants to become more of a service industry. Well, I think they've been "servicing" us all along.
                              [/Rant]
                              An answer!

Until Windows 7 (I think), all the MS home PC operating systems had the old code for Windows 3.1 hidden waaaaaay down deep. I even had a hacker friend who knew just the right toggles to change, and had a friend's gaming computer booting with the 3.1 GUI. They also decided to stop using a true DOS base somewhere in here, and went to a software DOS for various reasons, good and bad.

1) A vocal group of people had complained for some time that MS needed to do an OS from scratch so that the old code could be properly optimized for the times (simplification of argument), so that's what they did.

2) New vocal group starts complaining that their old stuff no longer works without third party software (that is mostly available).

3) Microsoft throws up its hands and goes to the pub to get pickled (another simplification)

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X