Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't think I wanted that job anyways...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I wanted that job anyways...

I've been looking for a part-time job, mostly to cover sudden expenses like textbooks and vet bills and to save up for a down payment on a house. I noticed a sign on the door of the local Michaels, so I put in an application for framer/cashier.

Yesterday: Can you come in for an interview? We're looking for a part time cashier, some stocking and freight.

Today, same woman: Oh, we needed a framer we could call in whenever we need them. You know, whenever there's a callout or whatever. You have such a restricted schedule. I don't think you're the person we want.

Me: (Excuse me for having college classes and a life!)

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?? You call me in for an interview for one position, then tell me IN the interview you want me for another the whole time? You want me to work part-time but to have full-time availability? And to tell me you were expecting me to be able to drop everything at a moment's notice to come in and work?

Yeah, I don't think I want to work for you anyways...I'm sure there's someone out there who needs that job bad enough to meet your requirements, but it's sure not me!
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

they are looking for someone who is married, doesn't want a full time job and doesn't have a life, so they clean the house, cook dinner and sit around watching the television all the time, and is available at random times to come in and work ...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Reminds me of the local plasma donation center. I applied there at least twice for a part-time position. They finally called me up and asked me if I wanted full-time or part-time. The position I had applied for was part-time and that's what I told them I was looking for. Lady on the phone says they're looking for a full-time person. Then why the heck did you advertise a part-time position, idiots? That company is VERY inefficiently run and that phone call was the last straw. I don't want to work for them anyway.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Michael's wants extremely open availability. If I had the availability I have NOW, when I started, I'd have never even been considered. We have extremely high turnover too.
        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

It's too bad, because I have two brothers who work for the company (at a store in another state) and enjoy it, and it's within walking distance of home--in the same plaza my last job was at, actually. And I seem to have half the layout memorized already, I'm in there so often...

It's the 'you're not good enough because you can't make your whole life revolve around this part-time position' that made me .
          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Oh, yeah, I totally understand.

I had a former co-worker who transfered to another store, in another part of the state, where she went to college. She had thought she'd set it up so that she was only going to be working when she didn't have class, but of course, availability is often ignored. Her store manager actually told her she had to choose between working at the craft store (part time, for sometimes no hours a week, for just above minimum wage...) and going to school.

Yeah, for some reason, she didn't pick the craft store.

Turnover, among part timers is so high, that a few of my co-workers don't bother to learn new hires names--until they are there for a couple of months. Most people last a week or two, and say screw that. I think those of us that stay are just a bunch of masochists.

And we're often told the reason they do x, y or z, is because "well, there are plenty of people looking for jobs in THIS ECONOMY". Which is true. And plenty of people apply, and plenty of people get hired.

And realize they have more self respect than to put up with the BS.

I will say, that it was wrong to make you think you were applying for ONE thing, and then turn around and make it for another. That's just pissy and wrong. And I bet she doesn't keep people either, because most people won't put up with that. There is obviously something wrong with me. lol
            you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Working...
            X