This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more shifts till vacation...two more shifts till vacation

Yesterday was another one of those days where I felt like walking out. I've been having a few of those days lately.

I was given the choice of unloading the truck or processing softlines yesterday. I chose softlines. Unbeknownst to me, over half the truck was softlines. Softlines normally doesn't get a lot of freight, but when new stuff comes in it tends to come in all at once, and these trucks are a bitch to unload because you can only go as fast as the person doing softlines.

So I'm ripping open boxes and hanging clothes like a madman, but the softlines boxes and totes were backing up into the trailer. That caused my supervisor to yell at me to go faster and keep riding my ass until we were done. Yeah, I'm so slacking, it's not like I'm running like a headless chicken to keep up anything. I was this close to walking out and saying "I quit. Have fun getting these trucks done with three people."

I am fed up. There are so many people here who skate by doing absolutely nothing and nobody says anything to them about it. Nothing at all. And while I'm working my ass off, I'm constantly being told I'm the weakest link, I have to step it up, I have to pick up the pace, I'm holding everybody back.

And if I dare to complain, then I've got an attitude problem, I'm not a team player, there's so many people looking for work who won't corrupt everybody else with their bad attitudes.

I've come to the conclusion that retail truly is a horrible job. Stay out of it if you possibly can.

And I've learned a lesson for my next job, assuming there is one: Don't work as hard as you have been. Just keep the same pace as everybody else.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Just think vacation, vacation, vacation.....

Even if you aren't going anywhere it's still better than work (even if you spend it doing a lot of needed housework).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Aw, you poor thing, Irv.

Don't let the jerks and losers get you down.

And don't let their lack of responsibility be any sort of goal, either. You'd end up never respecting yourself again.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's a combination of two truths of buisness.

1) The more capable of a worker you appear to be, the more that managment will pile work on you.

2) The Nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

It's odd how the two combine most of the time. Noone notices when the lazy workers go slowly, because they're always at the same pace. Indistinguishable. But a hard worker who isn't working to an impossible pace? Then you have to be slacking, because it's not going perfectly.

Comment

Quoth AdamaGeist View Post
          1) The more capable of a worker you appear to be, the more that managment will pile work on you.
          ...and the less capable you are the more raises / promotions they get.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Hugs, chocolate, kitty bonks and a 3 fingered Scotch.

I think I'd be giving the double bird salute and telling them in French AND English they are pathetic sacks of excrement.

Cutenoob

French for sack of shit: Sac de Merde.
            Last edited by Der Cute; 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM. Reason: added French
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

When I got home, I took two shots of whiskey to help me fall asleep. It didn't help much.

Today was better. After we finished filling the rest of our stuff and backstocking, I set some plastics in the seasonal plastic aisle to fill up a bunch of holes we had in there, and was told it looked nice.

All that's left before vacation is to spend 5 hours and 45 minutes Monday doing my normal furniture stuff. During that time I plan to give nothing even remotely resembling a fuck. It will suck for the people who I will be leaving behind, because two or possibly three of us will be gone for a week or so, so our manager's having to cobble together a crew to fill trucks for two weeks.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Hope your vacation helps your mental state, sounds like you really need the time off.

Just don't think about the mess waiting for you when you return.

On the other hand, just _maybe_ management will see that nothing is getting done while your gone and put two and two together (yeah, THAT'LL happen).

Seriously, enjoy your time off. You've definitely earned it!

Comment

Do what I do. While the vacation gets closer and closer, imagine what a mess there will be while you're gone.

Every time I take a day or two off, I anticipate that there will be utter chaos, because only the Do Nothings will be assigned what I normally do, and it won't get done or it will be done wrong.

I feel for ya, though. I was thisclose to calling bullshit and/or walking out the other day myself.

There's always the group of Do Nothings, who are ALWAYS scheduled to work right next to each other, and all night long, they laugh, shout, squeal, squee, and to an outsider, it appears like that work area is McDonalds Playplace. Most times, they aren't even at their machines working...all gathered in a circle and laughing like a bunch of kids. The boss and the shift leads walk past them all night, not giving a shit that nothing is being done. Then, on the other side of the room, there's a few of my coworkers and I quietly buzzing while still working, just trying to make time go by and make the night a little less miserable (and we can hear Playplace all the way over there). The boss or the leads will walk past those of us talking quietly and still working, and they'll tell us to be quiet, get back to work, stop talking. Every time I give a death glare.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                  X