This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Toenail

So I'm home on my day off and was catching up on personal matience, cutting of nails and what not. And as I'm cutting my toenails I have to twist my foot so I got up and completely change how I'm sitting. I resume to prepare to clip and instead of clipping the entire nail came right off!

No pain, no blood, no even pulling at the skin.

Now what?

I was going to commiserate with you as I lost a toenail to a door about two months ago. Hurts just remembering it.

If it fell off as easily as you described, I would say you have a problem. You should consult a podiatrist.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

For now I'd put a gauze bandage on it to keep it clean, then call a doctor. I'm assuming you'd remember if you had injured it in any way, past or present.

Comment

I'm kind of pulling this out of my hat, but in your job you walk a lot, right?

My father-in-law has been a lifelong runner/marathoner. He has had many toenails just fall off like you described, and some never grew back, so he is missing 2 or 3 permanently. He says it is just because of the abuse his poor feet have seen over the years.

I'd still ask a doctor though just in case, especially if it doesn't grow back on its own.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I had something similar happen once. Went to the doctor. He just told me to keep it covered with neosporin and a bandage. Eventually the nail grew back.

Comment

I'd see the doctor if it looks like it might be getting infected. Weird that there was no pain!
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I had an infection under my thumbnail last year (started as a hangnail) and eventually the whole nail just came off. Looked gross for a while but eventually the part underneath the nail toughened up and now you can't tell at all. Just keep it clean and covered and if it starts looking infected or inflamed give your doc a call. It should heal itself on its own though.

Comment

I've had it happen with shoes that didn't fit right....
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Aethian, you should consult doctor.

Once again everyone, this is NOT the place to seek medical advice.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                  X