This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My arches seem to be falling

For the past couple weeks it has hurt to walk. Every step is stabbing pain on the bottom of my feet. Saw doctor today and she thinks due to my high arches and recently gaining weight my arches are falling and thus the pain. I had been wearing shoes that on a normal person would have been supportive, but those damned high arches. Doctor suggested using athletic tape and binding my feet like ballerinas do until I can get in to see a podiatrist. Have to wait for insurance to ok the refferal. That'll take a couple weeks.

There are a few things that people call 'flat feet' that actually aren't though they seem to be flat feet. Main problem with the way we evolved with all those tiny annoying little bones, tendons and ligaments in the feet. There is a lot that can go wrong with a foot, believe me. *sigh* I would be careful not to wrap the arch too tight, that could cause more damage. They make plain athletic socks with a sort of band around the arch, you might get a couple pair of those - they won't be too tight and may help. Back when I was a security guard and walked 5-7 miles a night, I would keep a frozen bottle of water in the freezer and sit down and roll it under my foot on the floor for 10-15 minutes per foot and it helped.

Rob has flat feet, luckily they don't give him problems - though the Navy issued him orthotics several times.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

You might try getting some thin foam shoe inserts, and shaping additional arch support from those. Since you won't need the rest of the insert, you can use it to make extra layers, or trial pieces.

A bit of stage glue (spirit gum) can let you temporarily attach a trial insert to your foot, so you can test it out.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Well, after taping my feet up last night and sleeping like that as per doctor's orders, this morning the pain is managible.

Comment

The thing is the shoes I usually wear HAVE arch support. Part of why I paid so much for them. It's just my unnaturally high arches don't seem to be supported by it.

Comment

Could it be plantar fasciitis? I have it on my right foot and get stabbing pains on the heel - akin to trying to walk with glass shards in it. I wear a special sock to bed that keeps the foot stretched so that the ligaments don't shrink and do special exercises each day.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
              The thing is the shoes I usually wear HAVE arch support. Part of why I paid so much for them. It's just my unnaturally high arches don't seem to be supported by it.
              That's why people are suggesting extra arch support.

But now that I think about it, there's all sorts of things it could be. Talk to your doctor or a pharmacist about things to do or wear to help while you're waiting for the podiatrist appointment; but on reflection, I really do think that the podiatrist is your wisest medium and long-term action. Because feet really are delicate and intricate!
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                Could it be plantar fasciitis? I have it on my right foot and get stabbing pains on the heel - akin to trying to walk with glass shards in it. I wear a special sock to bed that keeps the foot stretched so that the ligaments don't shrink and do special exercises each day.
                See I thought that could be it, but my PCP doesn't want to make the diagnosis. She wants me to see a podiatrist and let someone who deals with feet make the diagnosis.

Comment

Definitely see the podiatrist. If it's just a case of high arches, they can provide custom-fit, prescription orthotics to help. If it's plantar fasciitis, they can give you exercises and stretches to help minimize the pain.

A couple tricks I use when the running has become way too much for my muscles or feet:

Foam rollers- you can make one of these yourself. Take a PVC tube, wrap in firm foam, then in soft foam. The resistance helps break up knots. It hurts like a bugger, the first few minutes, then it feels really friggen good. The firmer the core and foam, the more resistance you get, and the more it hurts. Start with a really soft one.

Foot stretches- dunno what they're called, officially, but basically you rest your heel against the ground, and the balls of your foot against something vertical. The idea is to stretch the crap out of all those little muscles and connective tissues in the foot. Works better than the sit-grab toes-pull back method, or so I find. Be careful with this one, and don't stretch to the point of pain. You want to just barely feel it.

I also picked up a pair of barefoot shoes from Merrell. So far, my feet are LOVING them, my calfs aren't so sure. But I'm seeing a significant difference in endurance, energy, and overall posture and form, so they're staying on. I've got high arches, and these hug them like they were moulded to my feet.

Comment

Barefoot shoes?

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                      Barefoot shoes?
                      These things. I know people who swear by them, especially ld runners.

Comment

Do you still wear socks with those shoes?

Comment

You can. Depending on the model, I don't. I have one pair of trail runners that require them, because the stretchy elastic back hits my achilles at the wrong spot. But I prefer no socks. They're washable, and they dry quickly.

They do take some time to acclimate, though. My calfs *hated* me for a while. But then they remembered "oh yeah, we PREFER this method. Yeah, let's keep doing this." Cut nearly 2 minutes off my 5k time.

I know RecoveringKinkoid was one of the early adopters of the original Vibrams. She's sworn by them for years (or so I assume - haven't actually heard her opinion on them in a while).

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                            I've got this as well, was months in agony before I saw a doc about it. Now I have specially made inserts I wear in my shoes. Makes it a nightmare to find shoes now.. I've got flat wide feet and inserts. Wide shoes for women are difficult to find at best, lol. These special socks you wear sound interesting. I do miss being able to wear some of my shoes, as my inserts don't fit in them

Comment

I wears me s 8.5 EE for my feet. Maybe try that?

Comment

Working...
                              X