This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone density test?

Because of my surgery, I'm now considered post menopausal. My doctor wants me to do a bone density test. She says its easy, can anyone confirm they're not going to go in for a bone sample?

Quoth Akasa View Post
    Because of my surgery, I'm now considered post menopausal. My doctor wants me to do a bone density test. She says its easy, can anyone confirm they're not going to go in for a bone sample?
    I can. It's a type of X ray. So don't worry Not invasive at all.

All it does is predict your risk of getting fractures in the future. If you are found to have a low bone density, then your doc may want to put you on a calcium supplement, Vitamin D supplement, or med like Fosamax to increase your bone density. What he picks (if anything) will depend on your other risk factors, like age, height, family history, and race. Short Caucasian women are at highest risk for osteopenia (low bone density, otherwise normal bones) and full blown osteoporosis.

I'm assuming they took your ovaries? Usually they are left in specifically to produce estrogen and reduce risk of both osteoporosis and heart disease, but sometimes they also have to be removed.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah they took my ovaries, they were part of the problem. Thanks for the info. I'm less nervous about the test now.

Comment

I've had this test. As Panacea says, it's just like getting an ordinary X-ray. Nothing to it.

You may feel some pain in the area of your wallet, however.
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

When I had mine done I had to drink this mildly radioactive fluid that however it was absorbed showed your density. Then they use a special machine that kinda sandwiched my arms , but was still comfortable. I needed a comparison of my wrists/hands done where I broke one over 10 years ago and I have arthritis.

Comment

DEXA scan! Yay! Easy as breathing. I had one done a few years ago to make sure the meds I was on did not effect my bones.
            The procedure was to Xray my wrist(s), then my hip. The hip one was awkward, you have to twist to get your ass just right.
            Done, easy, you get results later.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Just had one done last Friday. Easiest medical test EVVVVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Doesn't hurt, doesn't involve taking your clothes off, doesn't involve giving blood! You get to lay down and have an Xray type thing pass over your body. You may have to twist a bit to get the right image of your hips, but even that's not uncomfortable.

Good luck with your bones. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis

Comment

I had to have it done when I was 23, because I'd been on Depo Provera so long. I had to have a "normal" score to be able to stay on the drug.

The worst part, really, was continually having to pull my pants further and further down because jeans nowadays come with so many damn stupid useless little buttons or other metal decorations that you don't even use or know they are there.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                X