X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer Steam and Win 10

Very old PC died in the middle of Dec.

Got a new one and finally turned it on last week. After xfering stuff from my backup drive I was gong to install all of my Steam games. Now the new PC has as 250G SSD as the C: drive and a 1T internal HDD. Steam want to install the games on the C drive I want it to install on the HDD..

How do I do this? thanks
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

In Steam, go to Preferences, and click on Downloads. There's a button in there that lets you set where you want stuff to download to and/or install from, so if you kept the library from the old computer you should be able to select that and it should just go, rather than having to re-download.

This also means you can have multiple locations, so if something really needs to go on the SSD for performance reasons, it can.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Yup. "Steam Library Folders" then "Add Library Folder." Once you have it set up, Steam should ask you where you want games installed when you choose to do so.

Some games do benefit greatly from being on an SSD, but, unfortunately, they tend to be HUGE, so choose wisely. The modern XCOM games are notable examples of this (both in terms of the benefit and in terms of size); the Civilization games (e.g.) and games like Rimworld would likely benefit, as well, but starting up a new game of any of those takes a while due in part to the game having to semi-randomly generate the huge map and populate it. Pixel-graphics games will have no notable benefit at all.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah, I was going to get the latest X-Com and the DLC but it would take all the spare space I have on my drive... I have a laptop with a 500GB SSD, so I can't just drop another bigger one in
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

not sure where Preferences is and the same with Steam Librarys
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Open steam, at the top left click the little word Steam way up in the corner. From that drop down menu click settings. From that pop up menu click downloads. The first thing on downloads should be Content Libraries with a button labeled steam library folders. Click that and you can pick a folder or make a folder, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X