This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defintely not worth the price

So I just booked my flight for Europe in a month (can't wait!) and immediately I get an email saying that I should upgrade my seat into Upper Class, which I suppose was another word for Business Class, the highest class of seat.

For $10K extra!

I said hell no.

Then I wondered, what was it really like? I heard rumors, I seen pictures. But unless they literally shower you with diamonds and have a Jacuzzi and a pool up there I'm not even considering. For what I heard, here's what it has:

1. Lots of leg room
    2. Free alcohol all you want whatever you want
    3. Comfy recliners instead of chairs
    4.TVs with all channels and movies
    5. No screaming babies
    6. NO screaming children
    7. No screaming adults
    8. You can lay down if you want and take a nap

All of those look very enticing but still I wouldn't go. Not even if I were a millionaire, because it just seems it's not worth $10K. Has anyone flown first class? What was it like and am I missing anything? I'm curious.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

If I ever have, I don't recall. I've seen the occasional video talking about it, and learned two things: a) All of what you said about it is quite true (with the possible exception of the baby part, but I'm sure they have some way to help with them), and b) They're where the planes make the overwhelming majority of their money. Much like banks whose true "customers" are larger businesses, and the free-to-play game makers who depend on the "whales," the rest of us are basically just there for the entertainment of the big boys. In the case of an airplane: literal ballast.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What is this mysterious First Class/Upper Class/Business Class located as I have never seen such things on an airliner

When I did the road warrior thing back many a moon ago I always had to fly cattle normal coach class. I did like this class as most of the time it allowed me to choose my seat (most of the flights I booked I booked enough ahead of time). I liked to be very hear the wing (the safest part of the airplane of at least that is what I am told) and I like a window seat as I did (still do) like to zone out/watch the ground going by even at 30K feet.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        What is this mysterious First Class/Upper Class/Business Class located as I have never seen such things on an airliner ...
        Not on any aircraft piloted by Cap’n Eddie Ricketyback.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've done it with miles. I am not fond of commercial flights these days, and it was certainly more tolerable for a very long distance than coach was.

I wouldn't have paid $10K extra for it. Nor $1K, for that matter, but it was well worth it to use miles for the upgrade!!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            Not on any aircraft piloted by Cap’n Eddie Ricketyback.
            Another of my generation that knows the classics.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've flown FC exactly once, back when a good family friend worked for a major airline. He was able to finagle something for my annual Albuquerque pilgrimage (probably involving a buddy pass in some way, as we didn't have to pay much at all). It was a refreshing change from cattle class; all the legroom I needed, no screaming kids and a real coffee cup.

I'm all about the window seat, my preference is slightly behind the wing so I can watch the mechanical workings (yup, child of an engineer). Gotten a few really neat photos that way.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I haven't used it, but if I ever go on my dream destination to New Zealand I sure as anything going to be upgrading to it. Although the price would be have to be decent for me to do it, anything more than a few hundred dollars extra is just crazy.

You have any idea as to what I could do with $10k?
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

For $10K,you could probably find someone to charter you a plane to Europe....
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

No kidding. I'd want my own chartered flight for that kind of upgrade.

My brother bought me a First Class ticket once ... all I remember was being deafened by the damn engines. But of course the cattle car is not exactly great either ...
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Mmm, 10k is just too much for me... but at 1k I'd be tempted. But that's because I HATE air travel. Cramped seats and little legroom is... tolerable... for a short flight. For an eight hour flight or longer? Please kill me. I'm told that long flights have better legroom than little puddlejumpers though.

Comment

Kinda hard to tell, really, unless you do a lot of flying. I used to fly San Diego <-> Desert Hell a lot when I was in the Navy. Always flew Southwest (which doesn't have anything as urbane as "first class") and never really had any issues.

On the other hand, when I was flying home from the Persian Gulf to get discharged, it was on a KLM 747 (and man was that thing huge). I was basically sent home on a "wherever he fits" basis, and I didn't notice any problems with legroom.
                        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          My brother bought me a First Class ticket once ... all I remember was being deafened by the damn engines. But of course the cattle car is not exactly great either ...
                          Yeah I got a good look at first class when passing through when disembarking. There were no cots like I'd thought, so you still had to sit up, but you could stretch out pretty nicely. Still in the cattle car you can just stand up to get a good stretch. They had wrap around trays instead of the baby changing stations we had. Chair had more cushion. I STILL thought it was way too much. But we had about 30 and they were ALL occupied. Some people are as rich as Gates I guess. :/
                          BTW I call it the suitcase car because you're treated like one of the luggage LOL.

Quoth Aria View Post
                          Mmm, 10k is just too much for me... but at 1k I'd be tempted. But that's because I HATE air travel. Cramped seats and little legroom is... tolerable... for a short flight. For an eight hour flight or longer? Please kill me. I'm told that long flights have better legroom than little puddlejumpers though.
                          Yeah I went on an 8 hour flight in the economy class and I wouldn't recommend it. The girl behind me didn't have anybody sitting next to her so she got to lay down but I was in the middle of a muscle bound guy and a skinny girl. But it was a huge plane, 11 rows across. It wasn't bad except when we were landing, we got tossed about a bit. But everyone did so it was ok. I think we landed while going too fast, the pilot should've turned of the autopilot and actually landed right LOL
                          Last edited by HotelMinion; 06-15-2018, 06:01 PM.
                          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I used to follow John Barrowman on Facebook. He often posted (probably still does) pictures of his accommodations on airplanes. He had this little berth(?) with what looked like a recliner, a tv, what looked like a minibar, a half-wall around his area, and a door to the aisle. It looked like he had about a 4x8' area to stretch out in. I suspect that's what you get for $10k.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Likely. There are different levels of accommodation on different routes or on different airlines. I believe that one of the UAE's airlines or some such even offers a shower (!!) in their top class of accommodation.

International Business class is almost always more luxurious than domestic first class. My wife and I were able to wrangle one of those (I don't remember how, possibly program points she had from traveling for work?) and it was pretty amazing. The chairs were singles, and would go completely flat. They also had individual entertainment screens before that became common for all classes, and of course there were hot-and-cold running staff to fetch for you.

It was pretty darned impressive! But no, not for $10K...
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X