Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I primarily like classic rock from the 60s through the 90s. But every so often, I listen to blues, funk, jazz, Broadway show tunes, and classical.

My teenage son surprised me the other day. I'd had the car radio on the classical station, and as I was taking him to school, I went to change it to rock. He said, "No, leave it here, I like this." Wow, really? Sure!

I generally do not like country due to having been force-fed it in my childhood (that, and I don't like the sing-through-the-nose, heavy on the shrill instruments, songs about drinking, gambling, adultery and phony patriotism / religiosity genre). But there are a handful of country artists that are the exception: Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, the Dixie Chicks.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      I generally do not like country due to having been force-fed it in my childhood (that, and I don't like the sing-through-the-nose, heavy on the shrill instruments, songs about drinking, gambling, adultery and phony patriotism / religiosity genre). But there are a handful of country artists that are the exception: Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, the Dixie Chicks.
      I didn't get force feed country music as a kid, but I dislike it for similar reasons. I thought I hated all country artists until I heard Johnny Cash when the bio movie came out. I like a lot of his later stuff. It feels a little bluesy and a little rock, both things I like in music.

Maybe try Slim Dusty too. He was an Aussie icon in our country music. Most of his songs follow the country music style but with much better lyrics and no shrill instruments. Most are just him, his guitar and a drummer. His A Pub With No Beer is an Aussie anthem. It's like Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel. If it plays in a pub anywhere around the world, you know who is Aussie because we just have to sing along.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they have narrow musical tastes.
        No, but I've heard people very vehemently or proudly say they don't listen to certain things. I heard a guy at my work say something like "there is NO Alanis Morissette on my phone" in a very disgusted tone. My dad would very likely admit to having narrow music taste. I don't think he listens to much other than classic rock, or maybe modern rock that sounds like the classic stuff. A lot of people roll their eyes at classical music, too.

I would admit that I prefer lower toned voices and sounds. High pitched stuff is unpleasant to me. Like Girls Just Want to Have Fun, that's very grating to me. Or some of Mariah Carey's stuff. But Fiona Apple and Johnny Cash have amazing voices to me. Still, even that's not a hard rule, because I do like some people who do high shrieking stuff. *shrug* Country all sounds like the same song to me, but I can't say that I actively dislike it.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          One new thing I found recently is Japanese drum music! No one particular group, I'm still just getting a feel for it, but I really love me some good drum music anyway, and these guys are amazing.
          Taiko drums are amazing! There's so many great groups out there.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Here's a sampling of my Music folder on my primary hard drive:

Jean-Michel Jarre
            Crystal Method
            Explosions in the Sky
            Fatboy Slim
            Hooverphonic
            Cinephile
            Swedish House Mafia
            Juno Reactor
            Booka Shade
            BT
            The Cult
            Jefferson Airplane
            Pink Floyd
            Tangerine Dream
            Peter Gabriel
            Kodo
            Little Wolf Band
            Assorted video game, anime and movie soundtracks

...yeah, I'm very, very strange

The only music I absolutely will not listen to if it can be avoided is country. Dunno what it is, but I just cannot stand it.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I listen almost exclusively to movie scores. Some of my favorite composers are John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Bernard Herrmann.

Comment

I love Motown and Soul. Classic rock from the seventies, and I LOVE 80s music. Rock and some pop stuff. I stopped paying attention in the 90s for the most part. I also love Bon Jovi, past the 80s when their sound got more mature. Although with them I tend to prefer anything they do live because they are the best live band ever. I'm a huge fan of 70s Southern California rock: Linda Ronstadt, the Eagles, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, America, Neil Young etc.

I don't care much for newer people except a couple. I like Anna Nalick. I also love Mandy Moore. I like her as an actress too.

My mother had zero interest in music...and used to complain I listened to too many women. Why didn't I listen to more men? Especially people like Johnny Cash or Elvis *gag*. I think she was afraid I would turn out gay if I listened to too many women. Well, too late. I know my music tastes had nothing to do with it either. She was very ignorant.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I've been into '60s/'70s since my latter years of high school. I went through a couple of phases back then but I came back to those decades. I couldn't name a lot of modern artists. What's funny is that you might see me dressed like a Depression era secretary but I'll be rocking out to Steppenwolf or something. It's hilariously incongruent, I think.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    I've been into '60s/'70s since my latter years of high school. I went through a couple of phases back then but I came back to those decades. I couldn't name a lot of modern artists. What's funny is that you might see me dressed like a Depression era secretary but I'll be rocking out to Steppenwolf or something. It's hilariously incongruent, I think.
                    So your a bit like me? Except I'm more of the late fifties/early sixties fuller skirted dresses rocking out to Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Jet or Powderfinger. (Last two are Aussie bands that are/were heavily influenced by the earlier rock gods.)

I don't go full pin-up because I'm too lazy to learn how to do the make up or the complicated hair. But I do love the skirts, dresses and the cute heels from that era.
                    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

^My favorite eras for fashion are the '20s and '30s and I really dislike '50s fashion. Clara Bow is my muse.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My tastes are all over the map, enough said .

My playlist has a mixture of Queen, Jethro Tull, Tom Petty, Lindsay Stirling, Miracle of Sound, Alestorm, Peter Hollens and a bunch more. It helped that a lot of the songs are stuff I learned in high school music class.

Comment

Lots of Metallica, lately. Especially "One".
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Today's favorite is "Mayday" by Italian "musical project" Rezophonic, featuring one of my favorite bands, Lacuna Coil. (Rezophonic donates their profits to AMREF. Kind of a modern-day "We Are the World", except they're on their 3rd album.)
                            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I used to call my musical tastes "eclectic", but I don't know if that's true any more. I like almost anything with a beat: jazz, rock, pop, techno, j-pop, k-pop, some country, some hip-hop, etc. Lately, I've been listening to Sheppard a lot.
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                                I used to call my musical tastes "eclectic", but I don't know if that's true any more. I like almost anything with a beat: jazz, rock, pop, techno, j-pop, k-pop, some country, some hip-hop, etc. Lately, I've been listening to Sheppard a lot.
                                I recently "discovered" Chris Stapleton.

On one of my favorite Pandora channels, I have things like Junior Brown, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Sr, Jr, III, Johnny Cash, etc.

I also like "novelty" stuff (Weird Al, Cledus T. Judd).
                                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                                X