Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty sure it doesn't work like that ...

I decide to get some gas on my home from The Mothership since winter is back with a vengeance and I know you shouldn't let your car's fuel levels drop too far in this weather.

For once, I don't use my debit card; I plan to use cash. So I top up and go inside to pay.

The cashier, a guy probably in his late 40s or so, is discussing something with a customer. I'm pretending I'm not there until I glance over and, in the customer's hands, I see what looks like ... parts of a car.

I had come in in the middle of the discussion so wasn't paying it too much attention. But once the customer left, the guy behind the counter told me what happened.

Yes, those were bits of his car that he was holding.

He claimed he'd been going through the (fully automated) car wash, when suddenly the chain that pulls cars through the wash went into reverse ... yanking his car abruptly backwards and pulling bits off it.

Anybody know if that's even possible??
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

If the system has had the safety equipment disabled, I can see it happen. It would have to be poorly maintained for it to go in reverse in the first place.

Comment

I'd consider it more likely that *he* bump/kicked his car into reverse.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That makes more sense.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          I'd consider it more likely that *he* bump/kicked his car into reverse.
          That's assuming he didn't just bring in the pieces knocked off in some previous incident, with a mind to get somebody else to pay for fixing his car.

Comment

there are 2 rollers that go around a wheel and there is a wheel guide rail that would work both ways

Short of seeing or hearing the story I'd say BS.
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
              That's assuming he didn't just bring in the pieces knocked off in some previous incident, with a mind to get somebody else to pay for fixing his car.
              That wouldn't surprise me at all. Even if the car wash did go into reverse, I'm trying to figure out how it would "rip parts off" the car. I mean, don't the rollers just push on the tires? Other than that, there's no physical attachment to the machinery at all. No, I think he did something stupid--and is trying to get someone else to foot the bill for it. Also, the vehicle might not even be insured in the first place.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Some guy claimed that a car backed into his motorbike in our hotel parking lot. Maintenance guy goes to look at it, tells us "that's slide damage." Guy still called the cops to do a report. Hope the boys in blue told him off.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I used to work at a Gas station that had a car wash that used the wheel pulling system and bad shit only happened when idiots hit the brakes while in there. I used to say you shouldn't be allowed to be a grownup until you can successfully go though a car wash. Amazing how many people couldn't manage. The big dryer that says DO NOT BRAKE as is comes within a few inches says it for a reason. If you do brake you're going to get your hood dented or windshield smashed in.

Comment

Working...
                  X