This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time isn't important here

Apparently today was a big today in my state of residence since for the first time in history people can purchase alcohol on Sunday. It doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not from the state and I don't drink. I had one customer ask if we sold a lot of stuff today. I said I didn't really notice because we sell lots of alcohol. Anyway, the hours of purchase are from noon to 8 pm. One person came in 7:57 and decided not to chance it and left with nothing.

I had a guy come up with a bottle of vodka.

Me: Oooh, sorry. It's after 8 so we can't sell it.

Guy:

Me:

Guy: How much after 8 is it?

Me: Uh, it's almost 9.

Guy: Oh.

And then he just walked away, vodkaless. He may have been coming home from work, though I really don't know what kind of job you work until 8 or so on a Sunday. I felt kind of bad since can't sell what I can't sell. My coworkers and I got a chuckle out of that.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

At the fabric store we stayed open until 7 pm then cleaned until 8.

I remember my friend saying a customer tried to say that since he was in line before the cut off she had to sell him the booze... Nope, plan your alcohol purchases before 2 am.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We serve alcohol till midnight, and the amount of people I serve between 1am and 3am who ask if I can just 'take the money & scan it later' or who promise me chocolates/money for serving out of licence hours is ridiculous! I have said to my manager, I'd be more amenable if the customers actually provided the bribes there and then (but they never do, so no problems)! The people who get stroppy with me when I state that I can't serve them alcohol get told that I'll sell them alcohol if they're willing to pay the £1k fine, and all my bills till I get another job because I'll get fired. Surprisingly, nobody's taken me up on that yet!!

Mind you, our alcohol licence hours are clearly labelled and haven't changed in 4 years, but the number of people who assume that we can serve it any time is frankly mind-bending sometimes! It's the same people week after week as well.

Comment

My store started to sell alcohol maybe 2010ish and up until 2016, alcohol couldn't be sold on Christmas Day. Well, the first year we carried it I had some nutjob get into an argument with me about buying wine. It was so bad I had to walk away from the register.

And there may have been a law at one time that alcohol couldn't be sold on election day until after the polls closed but that may have been in the days when a wire hanger was good enough to get you television reception. Of course on election day people were arguing with me about it. Hey, if the register lets me sell it, I sell it.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I really cannot understand people who have NO IDEA what time it is. If you don't have a watch on you, these days your phone will give you the time. Many, many places still have a clock on the wall (though I'm beginning to doubt whether anyone can read analog clocks anymore).

I recall a customer I had years ago when our daily deadline for ads was noon. When I told her that her ad couldn't start tomorrow because the deadline was 12:00, her response, in the snottiest voice imaginable, was "Well, what time is it?"

It was nearly 3:00 pm. I just....how could it be that much past noon and someone not know this??
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I wonder what they do in Arizona? I'm thinking of how it doesn't do daylight savings (except for tribal lands) so if a store is right on the line that must be awkward.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
            X