X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth little_miss_springfield View Post
    Wait till he finds out some businesses are open on CHRISTMAS
    And how about those of us that choose to work holidays? If I don't work, people can't get to their parties!
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      And how about those of us that choose to work holidays? If I don't work, people can't get to their parties!
      That's me. Well, it's less "choose to work" and just "it's my workday."

As I said to my coworkers once, "I work the holidays so YOU don't have to. You're welcome."
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

When I worked for Wal-Mart, I preferred to work the holidays. Extra money, sometimes, and equally important, escape from my relatives.

As for you, that is one market you should go to far more often. (To clear up confusion, not Wal-Mart.)
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Is it bad that I want to know exactly where this market is so that I can, if mum ever gets round to winning the lottery, visit it?
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Alright I have to say this as usual: What are these things called Holidays and why are places closed on these days ??????

YES I am kidding. But the only time I get some holidays off is when they fall on my regular day off (like Xmas or New Years or July 4th here in the US as most other "important" holidays now fall on Mondays. And yes my red roof pizza franchise is even open on Easter evenings.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

As a devout Christian, I have chosen to never use a business or service on a holiday. But that is MY choice. (unless it is an emergency, like needing to use the ER, or its fully automated, like a gas pump that takes cards or a vending machine.)

What other people do is between them and whoever they like. But I hope I am at least making a karmic difference (one that might not be seen by anyone, but I know I did).

(I am by no means perfect though, my biggest weakness is buying fast-food on Sunday )

I encourage everyone to try it, it really helps make you think about things. I will stop talking now, I am risking sounding like a vegan

you never go full vegan /sarcasm
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                I'm actually a bit amazed that he didn't say a word when the manager identified himself as a Hindu who (not surprisingly) doesn't celebrate Easter.
                I'm sure he said a lot of things after he left the store
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We had a lady at my church that refused to shop at the bullseye (where I worked at the time) on Sundays because it wasn't right that they should be open. Funny thing was that when her daughter got in financial difficulties and HAD to take a job at a store that was open on Sundays this woman changed her tune.
                  "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                    Funny thing was that when her daughter got in financial difficulties and HAD to take a job at a store that was open on Sundays this woman changed her tune.
                    That's what usually happens. They get all "offended" or high and mighty...until something forces them to change their tune. But, I can't say that I'm really a fan of shopping on weekends. Mostly because it tends to bring out the older people in droves. I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to deal with someone walking down the aisles at a snail's pace. Nor do I have the time to wait on someone writing out a check.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      That's what usually happens. They get all "offended" or high and mighty...until something forces them to change their tune. But, I can't say that I'm really a fan of shopping on weekends. Mostly because it tends to bring out the older people in droves. I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to deal with someone walking down the aisles at a snail's pace. Nor do I have the time to wait on someone writing out a check.
                      Being an older person I totally agree. I can't stand being behind someone that parks their cart right in my way. If I'm looking for something I might go slower but I try to pay attention and move out of the way if someone's trying to get thru. It really made me crazy when I was working and really needed to get into an aisle for some reason.
                      "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I can certainly sympathize with the original intention of the Sabbath, to make sure everyone had at least one day a week they didn't have to work.

But once the early Christians decided to catch out those obstinate Jews by declaring the Sabbath to be Sunday and enforcing that on everyone....

Comment

Blue laws, anyone?
                          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                            Blue laws, anyone?
                            I hate my age as I know that this was a real thing until maybe the early 1980's. Yeah again why can't I buy stuff on Sundays ?

OH that is right a bunch of religious persons decreed Sunday to be a Holy DAY for everyone even those not of their "belief".
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                              Blue laws, anyone?
                              My Province still technically has those in place.

Up until the 80's, no shopping was allowed period.

In the mid-80's or so, New Brunswick loosened the rules up a bit to allow Noon to 5 shopping.

In the 2000's they passed the buck to the cities. Moncton, Saint John and Fredericton and a few other communities now allow any hours for Sunday Shopping; but a lot of towns still enforce the 12-5 limit. (A lot of businesses stick to 12-5 even if they could be later).

Next door in Nova Scotia, they had strict 12-5 limits for the longest time up until the early 2000's. Around then some of the bigger grocery stores and drug stores were technically following the law to allow any hours on Sunday by basically subdividing the store just on Sunday (to get below the maximum square footage allowed). that lasted about half a year before the province threw in the towel and revoked the Blue Laws. Now businesses in NS can be open any hours they want, other than on Remembrance Day. November 11 is a holiday due to a different law, and businesses must be closed that day (with the usual restaurant/pharmacy/gas station type exceptions).

Comment

I worked with a woman who asked for Yom Kippur off. For some bizarre reason, HR viewed this as a problem. Granted, September is busy, but the back-to-school rush is mostly over, and it's not like it was a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. She was told, "But you'll have Christmas off!" and she had to remind then that she was Jewish, that's why she was celebrating Yom Kippur. She told them she'd be more than willing to work on Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X