This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
    I worked with a woman who asked for Yom Kippur off. For some bizarre reason, HR viewed this as a problem. *snip* She was told, "But you'll have Christmas off!" and she had to remind then that she was Jewish, that's why she was celebrating Yom Kippur.
    Ouch. She was one more remark away from having grounds for an antisemitism lawsuit.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Our tax office was closed on Easter. Do you really want to do your return then?
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Back in Luuuuziana, even tho Blue Laws are a thing of the past even there, people are so used to the restrictive hours that most places aside from fast food and gas stations are only open from noon to 5 or 6 on Sundays anyway, as they know most of their customers won't show up outside of those hours.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
          Blue laws, anyone?
          They used to have those where my family used to go to the beach, at least until the mid 80's. So Sunday nights were a little boring. We could go to the beach during the day, but going on rides or playing video games wasn't possible. I remember we tried a few different beaches and went a few years without going to that particular one, and then we came back in 1990 and everything was open every day.

Quoth EricKei View Post
          most places aside from fast food and gas stations are only open from noon to 5 or 6 on Sundays anyway, as they know most of their customers won't show up outside of those hours.
          My old supermarket wasn't open on Sunday, not because of any law, just because they chose not to open. One time around Christmas, they decided to open in on Sunday in anticipation of people wanting to get stuff for Christmas dinners. We ended up closing early due to lack of business.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Our tax office was closed on Easter. Do you really want to do your return then?
            BUT I AM THE ALMIGHTY CUSTOMER I want to do my taxes on Easter now bow to my will you peon.......

and that is their mentality we all know and love /scarcasm
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              BUT I AM THE ALMIGHTY CUSTOMER I want to do my taxes on Easter now bow to my will you peon.......

and that is their mentality we all know and love /scarcasm
              That comment is about 10x funnier in Australia - our financial year runs from July - June, so our tax season is basically July-October/November. Someone doing their taxes in Easter is either a) Ned Flanders, b) self-employed or c) crazy.

Comment

Here you go. Knock yourself out. Second opinions are free, but amended returns aren't.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                  Blue laws, anyone?
                  Until last year, liquor stores in Minnesota couldn't be open on Sundays. It's so nice now to be able to pick up vodka or whiskey on a Sunday if I run out.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately North Dakota still has Sunday shopping laws. Gas stations aren't affected, nor are grocery stores or restaurants. Anything else? Forget it untill after 12:00. Lived here for 2 years now, and it still catches me.

Most banks are not open Saturday's either. Had to open an account with one of the few that are. One of these days I'll be able to move elsewhere and not know what to do at finding places open

Comment

OH that is right a bunch of religious persons decreed Sunday to be a Holy DAY for everyone even those not of their "belief".
                      Yep, that's what they did. Blue laws for everyone. In fact, on Sundays, you still cannot buy a car from a dealer here in Pennsylvania. It was only recently that all liquor stores (state owned, BTW--a remnant of Prohibition) were also closed on Sunday. When the liquor board was set up--days before Prohibition ended--the governor at the time said that "the board's purpose was to make the consumption of alcohol as inconvenient and expensive as possible." It wasn't until 2016 that the limited hours at the state stores were relaxed, and you can get a bottle of wine at a licensed grocery store.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I remember reading, I don't remember if it was for my state or not...that they had blue laws, but they were revoked after a period of time.

Why? People were driving 50 miles south across the state line so they could go shopping after church. It got revoked then.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                        X