X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings for Australia

Hi all,
    First I must say, I sympathise with many of the stories I've read here

Now onto the self-introduction, I work at the local Kmart, which, being classified as a "discount variety store," doesn't exactly have the most dignified clientel to begin with.

I work in several areas of the store, those being front-end registers, sound & vision, and as the customer greeter often enough that I've had drunk girls at parties point and scream "DOORBITCH" at the top of their voice.

I guess working in all those areas I have the unique perspective of dealing with SC's as they walk into the store, while they're looking for an item that may or may not exist, and on their way out, either purchasing an item, or not - the phrase; "May I please see your receipt for that?" comes out quite often.

Also when directing people, I've come to realise I have to repeat myself a minimum of 2 or 3 times before the comprehension simple directions like "Turn left at the mirror" and "Far left corner" actually sinks in. I find it amusing when I get abused for telling an SC the wrong directions when they didn't listen in the first place.

I also have the responsibility as customer greeter to prevent theft where possible, so I'm required to check the bags of customers - much abuse and a few complaints to managers have come from that, but I have never once been reprimanded (luckily).

All that said, I do take pride in my job when I can assist a kind customer who is genuinely thankful for the help I give.

Well I think I have written enough for now, but you'll probably see more of me as I relate some of the incidents that happen to myself and my co-workers.

Welcome from a fellow Aussie!
    SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
    ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
    and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

Checking receipts on the way out. I wish stores would make dedicated exits that can only be reached if you've gone through the registers. I really don't like being treated like a potential criminal as I leave a store.

I feel sorry for most folks who have to do that dirty job. Some seem to enjoy it, I don't feel sorry for them.

Has anyone else noticed that the scripted greetings at many stores don't leave you with an easy way to say "hi" back? Or, they're so long that you're long past the greeter by the time it's done ... unless you linger? Weird.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
        Checking receipts on the way out. I wish stores would make dedicated exits that can only be reached if you've gone through the registers. I really don't like being treated like a potential criminal as I leave a store.
        we do - i stand at the far end of the store front to the register exits, so i check the bags/receipts of those who don't come through the registers
        Quoth marasbaras View Post
        Has anyone else noticed that the scripted greetings at many stores don't leave you with an easy way to say "hi" back? Or, they're so long that you're long past the greeter by the time it's done ... unless you linger? Weird.
        I simply say "Hi how are you today/this evening?"
        no use for scripted greetings here

Comment

Our greeting is "Hey mate - how you doing?" and after "Need a hand at all mate?"

Very informal - our customers love it as we are personable and always chit chat.
          SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
          ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
          and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

Working...
          X