This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But you don't look disabled!"

Since I am young, was quite athletic before becoming ill, and am blessed with a natural air of vitality* I generally become the target of people who take it upon themselves to judge who has the right to use handicap parking. My mom gave me a great reply for when people accuse me of not looking disabled that I thought I would share since I think it is awesome.

She told me to just look at them and very sincerely say, "Thank you for saying that I don't look disabled. I've worked very hard, and done years of therapy in order to minimize signs of my disability and live as normally as possible.". Then just walk away.

I think this is the best way to deal with it, since it doesn't feed into the anger or venom, and also makes a point that not all disabilities are immediately obvious and there is a marked difference between good days and bad days for people with disabilities that affect mobility.

*I inherited my grandmother's naturally good coloring and very stoic disposition people who don't know me well can't tell I'm ill until I fall over. Even then, as I am being loaded into an ambulance people will still tell me that I should be fine soon, because my color is still good.
    Last edited by aniwahya; 02-12-2011, 07:15 AM. Reason: forgot to add the * stuff
    The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury. - Marcus Aurelius
    If you're slower than me, stupider than me, and you taste good...you're dinner - Anthony Bourdain

Memento mori.

I *REALLY* like that one! Thank your mother for me?
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm just the opposite. If I'm not feeling well, or I'm just tired, everyone thinks I'm at death's door.

I LOVE your mom's response! That's a great, non-confrontational way to handle it.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        I *REALLY* like that one! Thank your mother for me?
        Add my thanks to the list too please, fantastic response
        I frequently get black looks for sitting on one of the very few benches in the local bus station, or plonking myself in a disabled bus seat if I'm having a bad day, even, I've found, on the odd occasion where I've really had to get my fold up walking stick out.

As for looking ill, I generally look a bit under the weather normally unless I've been indulging in a sunbed session, its a standing joke in my family that if I look healthy, I must be ill. Its usually true
        Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

That's brilliant, I love it! Thank you mum for me too please, and thanks for sharing it.
          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
          X