This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Orange Bastard

The moderating team, and possibly people who have me on Facebook, already know that my big orange cat, who we affectionately referred to as "Orange Bastard" has been sick since around the end of summer. First, he had fleas really bad. He was so bit up that he'd leave blood where he sat. We got that under control, but then he started losing weight. When I took him for his vet appointment, he had lost 4 lbs. Last year, he was 14 lbs. This year, he was down to 10.

The vet diagnosed him with hyperthyroidism, and after running some tests to confirm it, sent us home with some medicine, that I had to give him twice a day. At first, it seemed to be helping. He was becoming active again, starting to eat again, even eating people food, which he never really cared for much before. When I took him back for a follow-up, he had gained some of his weight back.

But then a few weeks ago, he took a sudden turn for the worse. My wife noticed a wound on his leg that looked infected -- possibly from one of the other cats, and we ended up rushing him to an animal hospital in the middle of the night. They put him on an antibiotic, and he really didn't like have two doses of medicine being forced on him twice a day.

He started eating less and less, and a couple days ago he stopped eating altogether. And then today, he wouldn't even drink any water. My wife even wondered if we should just take him back to the vet and have him put down, but as bad as he looked, he didn't seem to be in any pain. I never had to put a pet down, and I really didn't want to this time either.

He was asleep on a towel that my wife left for him at the top of the steps before she left for work. She kept asking me how he was, and my answer was always "About the same." I remember looking at him and petting him and thinking, "If he makes it to Thanksgiving I'll be surprised." I also told him that if he had to go, I'd miss him, but I'd understand.

I was going to do a computer job for one of my friends, and I was waiting for my son to finish using my car. I had the parts in my hand that I needed and was heading out to the car, when we decided to check on the cat one more time. My son reached down and touched him, then looked up at me, and I asked, "Is he gone?" Somehow I already knew the answer before he said it.

I thought I was prepared for it, and that I wasn't going to cry. Then I had to tell my wife when she got home from work. My son helped me bury him, and for awhile he seemed to be holding up better than anyone else. Before we covered him up, my wife put one of her old hair ties in with him, because when he was healthy, he loved to carry them around in his mouth. We talked about the good times we had with him, and she and I went inside. My son wanted some time alone, and stayed out awhile longer. She and I went thru all the pics I have on the computer of him, and laughed and cried.

I think the saddest part was when our little tan cat walked up to him and found that he was dead. Out of all the cats, I'm sure he misses him the most. That one was his buddy, and he was always giving him baths. I'm sure he's going to miss that as much as I'm going to miss him stealing the ornaments off the tree next Christmas.

I called my friend and told her the computer job would have to wait until tomorrow. I didn't want to leave my wife here alone with what happened, and my heart wouldn't have been into fixing her computer. She understood, and was more worried about me than anything.

Rest in peace, Orange Bastard. You will be missed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MadMike; 11-18-2010, 04:50 AM. Reason: Too upset to type coherently, it seems. :(
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

*hugs Mike*

I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes there's just nothing we can do but make them comfortable and let them go.

Comment

I'm so sorry.

I love my animals like small furry children. I've lost 5 close pet friends. It really really sucks.

https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Im so sorry for your loss. =(

Comment

I'm sorry! Poor kitty!
          Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss, Mike. I don't know what I'm ever going to do if and when one of our cats goes...they're like our children.

Comment

It seems like he had a little bit of The Good Life before he passed. You took in a stray and got medication for him-- which was probably expensive, iirc. You loved him and he was a member of your family. On top of all that, he was very handsome and must have been awesome to have around.
              I will echo your sentiment of : rest in peace, Orange Bastard.
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                It seems like he had a little bit of The Good Life before he passed. You took in a stray and got medication for him-- which was probably expensive, iirc. You loved him and he was a member of your family. On top of all that, he was very handsome and must have been awesome to have around.
                I will echo your sentiment of : rest in peace, Orange Bastard.
                Thanks, but he wasn't a stray we took in. I left a word out earlier that made it sound like that, I'm sure.

He was actually a shelter pet that we adopted from The Helen Krause Foundation. We had him for ten years, almost to the day, in fact. We adopted him the weekend of Thanksgiving 2000.

He was old, although we're not entirely sure just how old. The shelter esitimated him to be four years old, which would make him 14 now, but for the past few years, and now especially, we've been wondering if he wasn't older than they thought.

He's in a better place now, and he doesn't have to deal with having two kinds of nasty medicine forced down his throat twice a day anymore.

Now if I could just stop crying...
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

*HUGS* I know for a fact that Orange Bastard is having a ball at Rainbow Bridge. You know where I am if you need a shoulder
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Sorry for your loss. RIP Orange Bastard.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

My deepest condolances.

*hugs*
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Losing a pet sucks

I had to have Kitty put down back in 2007. He was my grandmother's cat, which I'd brought home when her farm was sold. She got him as a kitten, to help control the field mouse population 12 years previous. He was a good kitty, loved to play and explore etc. However, once he left the farm, he really didn't enjoy being outside at my place all that much. At one point, I had him convinced that his toy mice "lived" under the TV stand But, he developed fluid in his lungs that year, and I couldn't put him through such a painful surgery...which may, or may not have removed it. I didn't want to see him suffer. That was one of the hardest things I had to do.

Then came Snow. She came from one of the local shelters. Nobody wanted her, because she was deaf. Otherwise, she was a very sweet, playful, white kitty. Sadly, I only had her 6 months. She died of a heart attack in my kitchen. When I got home, she came to greet me, meowed, and started to eat. As she was nomming, she fell over, convulsed, and then died in my arms

But, it could have been worse. At least I knew what happened to my kitties, and they didn't die alone. Not so with Kirby. He was my grandmother's yellow cat, that disappeared over 30 years ago. To this day, I have no idea what happened to him. I don't know if he died in one of the fields, someone took him, or even if some animal hurt him. Her entire 80-acre farm was searched, and no trace of Kirby was ever found. Whatever happened, I hope he didn't suffer.

Mike, at least he's no longer suffering. I'm sure he's up there playing with my departed kitties. They're probably enjoying a huge ball of yarn right about now.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

big hug... lost my "best friend" of 15 yrs last x-mas.. I'll admit I cried.
                          It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

I'm so sorry. They do become our children. I don't even want to think of the day when I don't have Casey around anymore, though I'm trying to type with a bandage wrapped around my index finger from when he nailed me this evening.

I had to put one down once. It's horrible, but if they're suffering, it's one of the kindest things you can do for them. Sounds like he was very comfortable, and just went to sleep, which is how they prefer it.

Rest In Peace, Orange Bastard.
                            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

*Hug*

I'm sorry. Its always hard to lose a friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X