This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean!!!! (pictures)

I finally got in the film "A Sailor's Sacrifice" (1909) which is credited for being one of the first (if not the first) film to co-star a dog. The dog is Jean (a.k.a. the Vitagraph Dog) who went on to star in about a dozen short films.

The film itself is highly melodramatic and it was filmed on the coast of Maine (when all the film companies were in NYC they did a lot of filming in Maine).

Here are some screenshots I got from the film, please excuse the low quality of some of them, the film is over 100 years old.

This film has remained hidden (not deliberately) by a small film preservation company who specialize in films shot in New England who received a copy as a donation from a London film company. All of Jean's films have been though to have been lost in time - this one probably went unnoticed because Jean wasn't in the credits. Apparently a company out in California has another one of her films, too (yes, I've contacted them).

Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

If the film is out of copyright, you ought to digitize the entire thing and upload it to a public repository, such as archive.org or Google Video.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      If the film is out of copyright, you ought to digitize the entire thing and upload it to a public repository, such as archive.org or Google Video.
      The best thing to do would be to speak with a film archivist, who would know the laws, how to digitize it without destroying it, and the best way to preserve the film. If there's a college with a film/media department, one of the professors might be able to point you in the right direction. Or a library with a special film department. Chances are that the suggestion will be to get the film out of Florida, or at least in a humidity-controlled environment.

Current copyright, IIRC, is life of creator + 75 years. So there is a chance that it's still copyright protected.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        That's a sticky situation..

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        The best thing to do would be to speak with a film archivist, who would know the laws, how to digitize it without destroying it, and the best way to preserve the film. If there's a college with a film/media department, one of the professors might be able to point you in the right direction. Or a library with a special film department. Chances are that the suggestion will be to get the film out of Florida, or at least in a humidity-controlled environment.

Current copyright, IIRC, is life of creator + 75 years. So there is a chance that it's still copyright protected.
        From this time it was only 29 years unless renewed and this film is VERY out of copyright. What I rented is a DVD copy, the film company transferred it originally back in the 1990's to VHS and sometime brought it over to DVD.

I do have a Rin Tin Tin film that I need to convert to DVD, though, but I have an 8mm projector and a telecine setup so that shouldn't be a problem, just a matter of finding the time.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          From this time it was only 29 years unless renewed and this film is VERY out of copyright. What I rented is a DVD copy, the film company transferred it originally back in the 1990's to VHS and sometime brought it over to DVD.
          Ah! I thought you had the actual film reels. Sorry.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            Ah! I thought you had the actual film reels. Sorry.
            Not with this film (luckily) but I do have the "Hills of Kentucky" (1927) on 8mm that I need to convert to digital plus an unknown Rin Tin Tin film on 16mm film - estimated somewhere in the 1950's or 1960's (it's a huge reel labeled "Roy Rogers / Rin Tin Tin / Shirley Temple")
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
            X