This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game store story of SCness!

I work at a fairly busy and popular board/card game store. We sell a very popular game called Magic the Gathering which uses something called Lands to produce the resources needed to summon big monsters. There are basic lands and non basic lands. This is relevant as you will soon see.

Me: Your awesome game store manager who doesnt take any crap from anyone.
    SC: A bunch of young people

Me: <opening spiel>
    SC: Where do you keep your lands?
    Me: Sorry, we do not sell basic lands or give them away, they are for tournaments only.
    SC: *Cat Butt Face* Ok, can we look at the (non-basic) land binder?
    Me: *goes and gets them the binder and they open it in front of the basic lands*
    We do have basic lands but do not give them out which I made quite clear.

I go back to browsing CS but keep an eye on the group. I notice some of them taking the basic lands and putting them in their pocket.

Me: Sorry, you have to put those lands back, they are not for the taking.
    SC: Oh, I thought it would be ok to take them.
    Me: No, put them back now and leave the store.

They left after that but wow, some people.
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-26-2012, 06:10 AM. Reason: irrelevant racial comment
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Should have offered to sell them a deck builders toolkit. It comes with plenty of land
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

actually it's a bit odd you don't sell them, the shops I've been at sell them for 10 cents each
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I agree. That's strange not to sell land. But the blatant theft of the cards was just plain wretched.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
          actually it's a bit odd you don't sell them, the shops I've been at sell them for 10 cents each
          Awesome Local Gamestore only sells lands that people have sold to the store. They stock Basic Lands for tournaments, but you have to put them back once the tournament is over.

I think it's a more of a cost thing-- it's not exactly cheap to go around giving free or cheap lands on your own dime, but if someone sells it to you, the shop...

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
            SC: Oh, I thought it would be ok to take them.
            Ok, even if you actually *were* selling them, that's just dumb. That you said 'no' twice and they tried it anyway makes it worse.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

We have basic lands but they are for Sealed tournaments and drafts, we have a massive pre release coming up and the lands are in much demand. We normally sell Deck builder's toolkits but currently out of stock (really popular).
              "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

I had a set of cards which I once tried to sell as a full set. To display the set (so nobody would feel I was cheating them) I showed every card in standard 9-card pages. But I was constantly busy with pricing other things, including boxes of comics, so one of my relatives, unbeknownst to me, sold some of the cards in the set for 10 cents each.

This was the first Marvel Universe set in the early 1990s, and some of the cards that sold (Wolverine, etc.) were worth $1 at the time. However, now the rest of the set wouldn't sell!

I had a non-SC problem with Magic the Gathering, spending $120 for great cards then finding out there was nobody who lived nearby to play against. Bleah. (A case of putting the card before the horse.)
                Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

I have so much land that when I was selling them online (a long time ago), I would give the lands to cast the card I sold. I still have a ton of lands....

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
                    We have basic lands but they are for Sealed tournaments and drafts, we have a massive pre release coming up and the lands are in much demand. We normally sell Deck builder's toolkits but currently out of stock (really popular).
                    The new DBT is coming out soon too. Still debating buying one.
                    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I also find it odd that you don't sell basic lands, but that doesn't excuse the kids. Good grief, shop says "no" so you try to steal the cards instead? But yeah, judging from what Hubby said of the last prerelease he went to, Wizards doesn't actually supply the basic lands to the shops for the events, so they have to provide their own.

Hubby and I thankfully don't need to stock up on lands for now, seeing as the year we were married we inherited a huuuuge set of cards from someone else in our complex, including a ton of basic lands. Eventually we'll have to pick up some more (mountains, apparently, last I checked), but until then....

Quoth Zoom View Post
                      I had a non-SC problem with Magic the Gathering, spending $120 for great cards then finding out there was nobody who lived nearby to play against. Bleah. (A case of putting the card before the horse.)
                      This is one reason why recently, Hubby and I have been experimenting with playing with a friend of ours over Skype. So far, not too shabby.
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I ended up getting my basic lands from the fat packs that come out each time, but the only "basic" lands that get sold in the closest store to my shop are the Zendikar lands. Soooo preeettty
                        Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                        Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                        -Unknown Author

Comment

I bought a bunch of Magic cards when the game first came out, and got a few special cards that came with the books. I never got around to playing the game and eventually sold them all to an online store. I got $35.00 just for a mana vault card, but I checked just now and see they can now be had for about a tenth of that.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            I bought a bunch of Magic cards when the game first came out, and got a few special cards that came with the books. I never got around to playing the game and eventually sold them all to an online store. I got $35.00 just for a mana vault card, but I checked just now and see they can now be had for about a tenth of that.
                            It depends on the set they came from. A Mana Vault from Alpha is $525 and Beta is $265

Comment

Local shop here in Auckland sells all manner of common and uncommon lands (including multicolor lands and special ones like Urzas Mine, Tower and Power Plant), They vary in cost from 5-20c each though depending on which color decks are in demand at the time. Special/multicolor lands depend on the rarity of the card, I've seen them vary from $1-$50
                              Violets are blue,
                              Roses are red,
                              I bequeath to thee...
                              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                              X