This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our whole bakery is a lie

Got a call from a woman today looking for a German chocolate cake. Basically a chocolate cake with this dreadful boiled coconut topping that looks like something my cat might horf up. I told her we don't make that type of cake, also let her know about the types of European-style cakes/desserts we do make (Black Forest cake, mocca cake, cheesecake, poppy slice, apple strudel, etc.) and her response was "Well, you're not much of a German bakery are you?" Clearly not!

Mmmm, black forest cake sounds really yummy now, darn it!

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
      Mmmm, black forest cake sounds really yummy now, darn it!
      Anyway, the cake is great. It's so delicious and moist.

tho I really *do* like German chocolate cake.

Comment

German chocolate cake is not a traditional German treat. It was named after the creator, whose last name was German.

Guess you're not much of a German bakery after all, if you don't employ anyone named German.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

AnaKhouri, how did I know you would be posting in this thread?

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            German chocolate cake is not a traditional German treat. It was named after the creator, whose last name was German.
            I figured it had to be something like that, since you can find it in pretty much any grocery store bakery.

Also, I don't think the coconut palm is native to Germany. Just a feeling.
            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

AnaKhouri beat me to it. Dangit.

Count me among those who actually likes German chocolate cake. But yeah, not from Germany in the slightest.

And now I want a Black Forest cake.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMM Black Forest cake - my favorite cake, hands down!!!
                The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I once found a german choc flavored coffee--so good. I've always liked that cake. And I used to work with a German lady who would make you a Black Forest cake--from scratch--for your birthday. She'd cook fresh cherries down--no canned cherries, no way.
                  Last edited by Food Lady; 06-29-2012, 08:44 AM.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

When I was in school, many years ago, a friend wanted a German Chocolate Cake for her birthday (which I don't like), but we couldn't find any coconut, so we did it without the coconut, and it tasted so amazing. I highly recommend it.

Comment

A much as I love Black Forest cake, I'll take Blackout cake (3-layer chocolate-chocolate cake smothered in chocolate crumbs/the former fourth layer) over that any day of the week ^_^
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I happen to really like German's chocolate cake, but it's not a regular chocolate cake with caramel-coconut-pecan icing, although that's what a lot of bakeries market as German's chocolate cake.

BTW, the 's is not a mistake, that's actually the correct name for the cake as it is a cake made with German's chocolate, which is different from regular baking chocolate, being a special formula of sweet, mild chocolate, rather than unsweetened chocolate usually used in baking. A hundred years after it was introduced, someone came up with a cake based specifically on this chocolate, so Baker's (the chocolate company Sam German worked for) started printing the recipe on the chocolate's packaging. The original cake recipe is still printed on the wrapper today.

The actual cake (which has only been around since the 1950's and is, like the chocolate, an American invention) is a very mild chocolate and is a very light brown compared to the deep dark brown almost black color of a devil's food cake. The icing is similar to penuche frosting, a boiled, caramel frosting with chopped pecans and coconut.

Also a fan of Schwarzwälderkirschtorte, another cake that is often made "wrong" in American bakeries, many of whom market a Devil's food cake filled with canned cherry pie filling and iced in whipped topping as Black Forest Cake. Some brush simple syrup mixed with artifical rum flavoring and artificial cherry flavoring or even the liquid from Maraschino cherries (which is almond flavored, not cherry flavored!) on the cake layers.

Honestly, I don't get the point of bastardizing cakes in this way. Either make it the correct way, or don't bother selling it in the first place! But, then, I'm the kind of person who makes Sachertorte at home, for fun....
                        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          A much as I love Black Forest cake, I'll take Blackout cake (3-layer chocolate-chocolate cake smothered in chocolate crumbs/the former fourth layer) over that any day of the week ^_^
                          Bet you'd like my version of a "Death By Chocolate Cake!" Two layers buttermilk chocolate cake, 1 layer of a fudgey brownie, filled with sourcream dark chocolate ganache and frosted in chocolate buttercream, garnished with shaved dark chocolate.
                          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post

Guess you're not much of a German bakery after all, if you don't employ anyone named German.
                            Thank you! Now I have some talking points for the next potential customer that wants this particular cake. We still won't make 'em, pretty sure they won't be happy, but oh well!

Comment

42 - Sounds awesome ^_^

Maybe not doberge awesome (yes, the filling is pudding) , but still quite awesome (sorry, it's hard to compete with doberge (say it like doh bash), Nemesis of all Diets).
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X