X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    42 - Sounds awesome ^_^

Maybe not doberge awesome (yes, the filling is pudding) , but still quite awesome (sorry, it's hard to compete with doberge (say it like doh bash), Nemesis of all Diets).
    Drool.

Kind of reminds me of the 12-layer cake

only with the creamy goodness that is a pudding
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

We have an amazing bakery here but I am not sure the nationality but I have heard them explain the whole German chocolate cake thing to annoyed customers. They make the best Swedish cookies. They know I can't eat wheat and won't sell to me unless I have a list from my fiancé

Comment

Oh boy, guys. At the last work potluck, a co-worker signed up for a dessert and, remembering that I can't eat chocolate, she made a 'Black Forest Cake' that was identical to the real thing in every respect except the cake was vanilla instead of chocolate. Even used real kirsch, and proper cherries... *sigh*

This co-worker can bake, by the way. And now she gets anything she wants from me, whenever she wants it, because damn that cake was AMAZING.
        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

My favorite is Frankfurter Kranz, it's relativly easy to make: http://www.food.com/recipe/frankfurt...led-cake-19718
          But normaly I buy it from a small family owned bakery just around the corner, they make everything from scratch. You can buy the whole cake or just some slices. And all the other cakes and cookies they have... *drool*
          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
            Oh boy, guys. At the last work potluck, a co-worker signed up for a dessert and, remembering that I can't eat chocolate, she made a 'Black Forest Cake' that was identical to the real thing in every respect except the cake was vanilla instead of chocolate. Even used real kirsch, and proper cherries... *sigh*
            Even though I adore chocolate and traditional Black Forest Cake, that version does sound incredibly tasty.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'll take Black Forest cake over German chocolate any day. I hate shredded coconut

Comment

I am a fan of both Black Forest Cake AND German Chocolate Cake, but I'll admit that until this thread, I did not know that GCC was not, in fact, German. Never really thought about it.

But then, there are tons of people who can't tell you where the Caesar Salad was invented. Since it goes so well with Italian food and is generally served in Italian restaurants, many people assume Italy. They assume wrong. Many others assume the U.S.A. They are also mistaken. And I have heard various other guesses as well, often Mediterranean countries, as it uses parmesan cheese, anchovies, and goes pretty well with a lot of Mediterranean food. Very rarely when I have asked this trivia question of my bar guests have they gotten it right. For those still scratching their heads, I shall tell you its origin, but for those who want to figure it out on their own, or keep guessing, I shall give it a bit of space....

The Caesar Salad was actually invented in Mexico. Tijuana, to be precise. And it is called the Caesar Salad as it was invented by a chef named Caesar. And yet, you won't generally find it in a Mexican restaurant. Kind of odd, don't ya think?

(Some people may get technical and say that the actual origin of the Caesar Salad is not fully known, which is true, though it is generally credited to Chef Caesar Cardini (or sometimes his staff) in Tijuana in 1924. Its first documented listing on a menu was in Los Angeles in 1946. Either way, definitely not Mediterranean, and I would say more than likely Mexican.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  German chocolate cake is not a traditional German treat. It was named after the creator, whose last name was German.

Guess you're not much of a German bakery after all, if you don't employ anyone named German.
                  Just like Bakers Chocolate is a brand, not specifically for bakers, though it is nice it works out like that =)
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                    she made a 'Black Forest Cake' that was identical to the real thing in every respect except the cake was vanilla instead of chocolate. Even used real kirsch, and proper cherries... *sigh*
                    *drool* That sounds sooo good.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      *drool* That sounds sooo good.
                      I was thinking sub in part of the flour with ground almonds myself. Or maybe hazelnut flour.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        I was thinking sub in part of the flour with ground almonds myself. Or maybe hazelnut flour.
                        Ooh, that sounds interesting. I'd go with the almond, myself, the flavour would work well. Not sure about hazelnuts, but YMMV - they make my mouth itch, so I avoid them.
                        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                          German chocolate cake is not a traditional German treat. It was named after the creator, whose last name was German.
                          Soon after 9/11, when a certain country which donated a statue standing in New York Harbour didn't immediately jump on the bandwagon, people at one end of the political spectrum were pushing for a certain greasy food to be renamed "freedom fries", and boycotted one brand of mustard (like the cake, the name derived from the creator rather than the country of origin). Considering the type of entertainment preferred by people at that end of the political spectrum, it would have been interesting to remind them about the name of the founder of NASCAR.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I will have to admit that I did not know this bit of trivia either. In my defense, the first time I had German Chocolate Cake, it was made from scratch by a very German immigrant. Very good. They also made a very good hard cider!
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              The Caesar Salad was actually invented in Mexico. Tijuana, to be precise. And it is called the Caesar Salad as it was invented by a chef named Caesar. And yet, you won't generally find it in a Mexican restaurant.
                              Around here you can find a MexiCaesar salad all sorts of places. Although it usually has tortilla strips instead of croutons and pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds).
                              Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Working...
                              X