Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, this is our carding policy, don't be an ass about it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never had to deal with age-restricted products at the supermarket. People had to get cigarettes at the customer service desk, and the sale of alcohol is pretty heavily regulated in PA. We're just now started to see a small handfull of stores that can sell beer, and they're gradually trying to expand it.

The only carding-related issue I had to deal with was checks. If they had a "check cashing card" from our store, we just had to write down the number. Otherwise, we had to get a manager to approve it. I had this one guy paying with a check, and I asked him if he had one of our cards. His response was, "I shop here all the time!"

OK, first of all -- that's not what I asked. Second of all, I was still new at the time, and had no idea who this guy was. Third of all, I have a terrible memory when it comes to faces.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    I don't mind at all being asked to show an ID, no matter how old I look or how often I shop in a store. But never heard of a store writing down personal info in a book
    I've seen them do it when I bought certain over the counter medications that have become more restricted lately due to some people making illegal drugs out of them. Never saw a book for alcohol, and I don't smoke.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    since a lot of state's driver's license numbers are your ssn

Interesting. I know that my first drivers license had a space for the SSN, but they didn't actually put it in there. I guess they did at one time. I didn't know that some states had the license number the same as the SSN.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Iowa used to use the SSN as the DL number. Now it's a random number. I do agree the whole writing things down is ridiculous, but, like others, I'd fume elsewhere besides in the cashier's face. People bitch enough with me just simply carding them...I can't imagine if I had to do all that, too. Sidenote: We can scan the back of the ID with our barcode reader, and it tells us if they are of age. Handy thing, that...until you get a tin foil hat wearer, of course.
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn
        Sidenote: We can scan the back of the ID with our barcode reader, and it tells us if they are of age. Handy thing, that...until you get a tin foil hat wearer, of course.
        Ours do that too! Is so effing bril! The only thing we have to check before scanning is that the pic matches (obviously).
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Yes, dragon wings, it is brilliant, until, as I said, you get that one guy that swears up, down, left and right that he ended up on mailing lists because you scanned the back of his ID. Yeah. Had that happen. Hope it never happens again.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Oh, we've had them too. :P Not me personally though. Thank deity.
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I stopped for beer last week and the clerk was writing down all the info. They know me, I'm there every week. When I saw what was happening, I put the beer back in the cooler, told Les that I wouldn't be back until they stopped doing that and left. I didn't scream or anything. I'm just not willing to have all that info recorded, not to mention that it was taking forever. I got my beer elsewhere and all was good.

Tonight, I stopped at that store and they weren't writing stuff down. I guess the manager thought they were losing too much business or something. I bought my chips and left because I already had beer in the fridge.

Comment

While I have no problem with being carded, in fact I always pull out my ID and show it to them on general principle to make it easier to get my booze...

I too would have a problem with signing my name in a log book that contains my DL number and name. That's a first step in identity theft if that book ever got lost/stolen.

But I wouldn't be a dick about it to the clerks. I'd just hand them my booze and ask them to go ahead and re-shelve it and pay for whatever is left and go to a less draconian liquor store.

Drama is neither needed or even remotely helpful.
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Working...
                X