This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trials in Beauty

Since I'm not giving any details and the company is going to be kept nameless, I shall proceed with the story.

I no longer work for T-R-U (timeshares-r-us) for a year now and have been with The Salon for about eleven months. So far, I can't really complain. After having dealt with rich/stupid people complaining as to why they can't get into the unit they toured (i.e. the big VIP unit) the day of (i.e. any major holiday as today) or why they can't have the whole village in said unit (hello, fire codes!) this job is cake.

Oh? Your hair cutter person is busy today and all next -- do you want to see someo-- okay, yes, they're available next MONTH. You want that? Okay. Sure!

Options are something I don't really have to give. Its awesome.

Anyhow, onward with the story:

M: me
    CC: Confused customer

Are you open?

Now granted, I know that most places are closed today as it is Fourth of July. *however* You'd think that if someone picks up the phone at the establishment you're calling it was open, no?

I can't tell how many times I got this one:

M: Thank you for calling The Salon, how may I help you today?
    CC: Are you open today?
    M: -pause. Quick recovery- Why yes we are. Is there someone in particular you'd like to see today?
    CC: Oh! I wasn't expecting this. I'll call you back in a bit!
    M:

I just want a trim.

M: So we'll be seeing you today with Awesome Cutter today at 5. That'll be $60.
    CC: For a trim?
    M: Well, AW is going to wash, cut and style your hair so she can make sure that she's given you the perfect cut.
    CC: But she said it'd be complimentary.
    M: Oh, if you're coming in for a bang trim, those are complimentary and appointments are not necessary. She'd be squeezing you in between full cuts so I would be prepared to wait for a bit. Since you want to come in tomorrow I would suggest for you to give us a call back an hour before you wish to come in so we can see how AW's schedule is doing. I would hate for you to come in and she not be able to see you if she's running late.
    CC: ... But I want a trim.
    M: A bang trim, or all over?
    CC: All over.
    M: That would be considered a haircut as AW would require her full attention to make sure that the inch is taken out through out the hair. You would need to buck a full appointment for this service.
    CC: And its $60?
    M: Yes, m'am.
    CC: For an inch?
    M: For an inch taken out on an outgrown cut, yes.
    CC: Are you sure? She said it'd be free.
    M: Bang trims *are* free, but what you're asking for is more time consuming than a simple bang trim. You want her to go and remove an inch through out the whole hair to refresh the style you currently have as to not have it look so shapeless, right?
    CC: Yes.
    M: In that case, she will need *a full* appointment. She will need to wash your hair free of product, cut it and then style it to ensure that the hair lays right and is appropriate.
    CC: What if I want it cut dry?
    M: It would still be $60 because of the time involved.
    CC: But she wouldn't need to spend as much time drying it.
    M: She would still need to style it to ensure the cut was done properly.
    CC: And its $60 for only an inch?
    M: Yes.
    CC: But its a trim.
    M:

I finally convinced her to book a full appointment, come in, speak to AW and let her decide if a full cut is needed or if just 'a trim'. I explained to her that it was best to do it this way because if she came in for what she thinks is 'one inch trim that won't take much of her time' and it winds up the full appointment is needed, well.. that'll suck.

Open! Open! Open!

m: Thank you for calling TS, this is Demise. How may I help you?
    CC: You're open?
    M: Yes, we are.
    CC: Its fourth of July.
    I know this...
    M: And we're open to service.
    CC: Are you sure?
    Oh, my goodness lady. Yes I am sure! I wasn't too happy about dragging my arse out of bed at six am just so I can field idiot calls like these!
    M: -laugh- I assure you we are. Is there anything I can help you with?
    CC: No, thanks!

This is not a dental office, sir.

CC: You're open today?
    M: Yes, we are.
    CC: And your'e taking clients?
    M: Yes. What do you need?
    CC: A hair appointment.
    M: -bites lip- What type of hair appointment?
    CC: Cut and color.
    M: And what type of color?
    CC: The same color I always get!
    M: Would that happen to be a single color or, do you have highlights?
    CC: Its brown! With -- its what I always have!
    M: Alright, let me look up your account. May I have your name?
    CC: Jane C Smith.
    M: You know, I can't find you in our system. May I have your phone number?
    CC: 555.555.5555
    M: I do apologize but I cannot locate your file.
    CC: That's because I've never been there before.

M: Have you gone to one of our sister salons?
    CC: No.
    M: Alright, Jane.. on your current grow out, do you have a straight line of demarcation or do you have a few highlights that need to be touched up?
    CC: Why is this so difficult?
    M: I just want to ensure that I don't short-change your stylist. If you need any highlighting services we generally need about 45 minutes additional to the color time to allow processing time. You wouldn't want to have uneven coverage, would you?
    CC: Oh, this is just too confusing! I'll call you back!

-le sigh-

Over all, not bad. Just.. there was something about today that got everyone confused!
    "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

That last woman...wow. "It's what I always have!" How the hell does she expect you to know what that is if she's NEVER BEEN TO YOU BEFORE?

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
      That last woman...wow. "It's what I always have!" How the hell does she expect you to know what that is if she's NEVER BEEN TO YOU BEFORE?
      Clearly, they're expected to pass style records between salons, you know, like your medical records, but for hair.

The phone people confuse me though. If you weren't expecting them to be open, why exactly were you calling?
      Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
      Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
      -Unknown Author

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
        Clearly, they're expected to pass style records between salons, you know, like your medical records, but for hair.
        I don't think the patient is doing very well, Doc... she keeps getting confused over the phone.
        Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

That last woman makes me ashamed to be a salon-bought bottled-blonde. I know *way* too much about my cut and color and what needs done and when.

She outta be...I dunno - banned from the club or something. She's too stupid to leave her house unattended, let alone get her hair done properly!
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

She wasn't terrible, I just honestly believe she was confused as to what it was called. I remember having one lady telling me about a 'block' and wanted that I make sure I had a 'block' booked. It took a couple of calls for me to realize she meant a partial foil.

ETA: Some people I realize rely heavily on what their hairdressers think/want them to wear/do. When that stylist retires or leaves the salon they're like lost little sheep. I feel bad for them, really.
            "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

And that is why I cut/color my own hair. I rely on my own opinion and a trim is free.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth AnqeiicDemise View Post
                Some people I realize rely heavily on what their hairdressers think/want them to wear/do. When that stylist retires or leaves the salon they're like lost little sheep. I feel bad for them, really.
                I would be lost without mine just because it's difficult to find someone who really understands curly hair. I can't tell you how many places I've been where they look at my hair wet and say "we need to take 2 inches off the bottom" and I go "...you know that will be like 4 inches when it's DRY..."

Comment

Am I the only one reading this, remembering Sheldon's haircut record transfer from Texas...?
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

^ I don't remember that, but I'm not surprised. manybellsdown, I totally understand.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We get the idiots calling to ask if we're open, too. There are days we don't close that some places do...Columbus Day, for example. We're open regular hours. We get people asking if we're open. Why would I answer the phone if we arent'??

And the haircuts...wow, what I know about haircutting and coloring is...erm, about zero. You're good!

I recall once when my mother went for a cut and perm. The girl permed her hair FIRST and then cut it. That seemed backward to me.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                        I would be lost without mine just because it's difficult to find someone who really understands curly hair. I can't tell you how many places I've been where they look at my hair wet and say "we need to take 2 inches off the bottom" and I go "...you know that will be like 4 inches when it's DRY..."
                        One word: Ouidad. Check out their site, find a local salon, and pay the money for the best haircut of your life.

I swear by them. Thanks to them, my hair is healthier (and curlier) than it's ever been.

Comment

To be fair, people will answer the phone at the damndest times. I once called a clothing store at 3 AM... I worked night shift... hoping to get an automated response with the hours of operation. A person picked up. She thought I was crazy for calling at 3 AM...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            I recall once when my mother went for a cut and perm. The girl permed her hair FIRST and then cut it. That seemed backward to me.
                            My hair is naturally curly. Cut it wet (when it's straight), and I promise you, the cut will look awful once it's dry - and curly - again.

I'm not a professional hairdresser; but I assume that permed hair works similarly. You need to make it curly so you can see what it looks like when it's curly; and cut it accordingly.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                              And this is why I love my hairdresser . . . I'll show her approximately how much I want off, or if I want my sides layered and I just let her take it from there. If my hair hasn't been washed first (sometimes I'll wash it myself and just wrap it in a towel on the way out the door, other times I'll let her do it.)

I'll also have my eyebrows done as well . . . I HATE a unibrow . . .

And every time I go, it looks a hell of a lot BETTER when I leave than it did when I arrived. She's a miracle worker.

And why I've been going to her for the last 25 years or so now.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X