X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh. Just Ugh.

Dear Random Guy Selling Back Books:

Can I just point out a few things, please?

First of all, you're bringing back a couple political science textbooks and yes, we are going to use them next term. We have about 30 copies of each in stock already, and the estimated enrollment isn't that much larger for the two sections of the class. Please do not bitch and moan that I *only* offered you $110 for both books. There are a few points you're missing here, that I'd like to club you upside the head with, mk?

1. The retail price, NEW, is $350, yes, I get that as you so eloquently exclaimed. However, your outrage is unjustified, as these books were purchased used. See the brightly colored stickers on them that mark them as such? The retail, USED is $187.75 for the both of them. that's almost 60% of the retail price, back in your pocket.

2. I recognize your name, asshole. YOU don't pay for your books out of pocket, you have a separate government entity that pays for your books AND your supplies. As such, this is FREE MONEY IN YOUR POCKET, and you are out NOTHING.

3. You're a grownass man in his 40s. Grow the fuck up, dude, you should know how money works by this point!

So, when I tell you you're essentially getting $110 you've in no way had to scrimp and save to originally spend on the books? I don't expect a "that's IT?!" from you in an incredulous voice. I will sweetly, yet viciously point out the above about new vs. used retail, just to see the mental backpedal in your eyes as you realize you're an idiot who can't even get indignant properly.

Do not huff and sigh, then say "ok, that's fiiiiined" in a petulant voice, either. See above reasons why this is unnacceptable. especially #3...

Finally, after the transaction is completed, having a complete turnaround to schmoozyschmaltzy "How YOU doin'?" conversation with me in a blatant attempt to flirt with me? Yeah, this is me ignoring you and wishing you a fantabulous day, while internally I mean I hope you trip down the stairs, land in an awkward position that requires you to have a cast in strategically placed areas so you can be the person who says either "I cracked my coccyx" or "I broke my balls" when asked "wtf happened to you?"

I do hope this clears things up nicely!

Toodles!!
    Me

Wow. My university bookstore wouldn't buy back used books at all. Anything labeled "Used" at the time of purchase was Final Sale. This may have changed in the *mumble*mumble* years since I was there.....

Once again, another moron that doesn't grok how the secondary market works. May you not have to put up with anymore of these idiots. (Hey, we can dream, right?)
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

You do get the "special" ones, Lupo. Seriously, take the $110 and run dude.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Lupo, you and I need to start a business together, and just....record what happens. I can only imagine.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          Lupo, you and I need to start a business together, and just....record what happens. I can only imagine.
          NO! We survived the Large Hadron Collider not making any planet-eating black holes. I'm not sure we could avoid the Black Hole of Stupid that you two in business together would surely generate!

Don't get me wrong. I don't really mind the black hole itself. It's just that we wouldn't get to hear the story.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
            You do get the "special" ones, Lupo. Seriously, take the $110 and run dude.
            You think he would, given all the reasons I listed, right? But here's the REALLY fun part. The actual "guide price" was only about $33, per book. I took the time to see if they were requested for Fall courses recently, because the system doesn't always update right away when we enter in new book requisitions. Since they WERE, I changed the status in an effort to get him more money.

Ass...

Comment

MY MY but college text books have significantly risen in price since I was in college 20 years ago. and I though paying $175 for a new book back then was expensive.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
              X