Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I swear my cat is Houdini reincarnated...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I swear my cat is Houdini reincarnated...

So both of our cats are indoor cats, but we'll let them out periodically for unsupervised runs around the backyard. Well, sometimes supervised.

Youngest cat has been trying to escape the backyard repeatedly. Here's a short summary of his escape methods (or attempted ones):

-Jumped the fence into our neighbour's yard on several occasions. First few times, the neighbour was home and quite happily handed the cat back to us. After that, neighbour wasn't home and my sister and I had to break into his backyard to get the cat back over the fence.

dad then proceeded to rig up some netting that slopes inwards, so he can't jump it. He tried a couple of times, then gave up.

-Managed to get onto the roof of the house. Basically, my dad drives a VW Transporter for work (carpenter). Said car has a very high roof. Youngest Cat figured out that if he could jump on top of the car roof, wander along the top, then jump onto the pergola, he could waltz over onto the roof. He would then meow at the top of his lungs for someone to come and get him down.

After the last time he did that (which took me almost an hour to get him OFF the roof), dad found our old portable gazebo and rigged it up so that he could drive his car under it and the cat couldn't get onto the roof from there. When he finished rigging it up, we let the cat out and watched him jump up there. Once he figured out that he couldn't squeeze through the gap, he gave dad a dirty look

-Tried to jump over the front gate where the blue tongue lizard is. Now I'm waiting for dad to rig THAT one up too.

Oh and then there was the time he tried to climb up the tree in the backyard and it took me fifteen minutes to coax him down.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I love cats so much.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Cats are awesome. And funny. Fun fact: if you know where Houdini grew up, you know where I live.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ah, luckily dad didn't need to rig up too much for the front gate area. He just moved the bins around so that he can't jump up there even if he tried.

Now he's inside. and asleep.

The funniest part has been that he hasn't become an escape artist until pretty much this year. He would occasionally jump the fence when he was younger (taking his older brother with him for the adventure) only to be thwarted five minutes later.

When I let them out today after dad solved the problem, young cat decided to show his "appreciation" by rolling around on the top of Dad's car.

Comment

Cats are wonderful. I just love my kitty.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Well, they tried again the other day....thankfully they won't try it again.

We've blocked off one side of the house so the cats can't get down there and either jump into the neighbours yard or similar (dad may consider putting up some netting in the future so they can, but we're not going to do it yet). There are three parts to this: an old shed door that blocks off most of it (which is now permanently in place so the cats can't squeeze through after it was knocked over by a storm), a grille that blocks off a good portion of it near the retaining wall, and the remainder has been blocked off by some of the netting so that the cats can't try and jump around the grille.

Well the other day I found oldest cat trying to climb the grille and the younger cat trying to climb the netting. Both of them failed at it and needed me to pull them off because they were struggling. We don't think they'll try it again

Comment

Working...
            X