This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    I'm also getting "notices" purporting to be from PayPal.... want me to sign in if I want to cancel the payment.
    Ah. That's a new one for me. I'll keep my eyes out.

I kinda like this one. MUCH better language than usual, and the link is to a bbc report on a real event. Seems odd he would contact me - wouldn't a realtor be a better choice? And the "partner" and "white" are classy touches.

Dear Partner,

Naturally, this letter will come to you as a surprise since we have not met, permit me however to introduce myself; I am a white Zimbabwean Farmer, currently in hiding in Zimbabwe. I have funds ($18.5M) to invest in your country. I am contacting you as the need for me to have a foreign partner in your country has become necessary due to my plans to relocate to that country so that I can purchase some land and start farming all over again.

If you are interested and willing to assist me (for a 15% commission), please contact me as soon as possible for more details. I will give you more details when I hear from you. You can click on the links below to get a better understanding of my situation and why I need to move out my money:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1068528.stm

Best Regards,

Joseph Smith.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I'm also getting "notices" purporting to be from PayPal for payments to various companies. They want me to sign in if I want to cancel the payment. Sorry, charlie, I'm really not that stupid.
      I got something similar to this fairly recently:

The title was "Re: Order Approved Today.

The body was a badly formatted "receipt" for an online payment for a TV supposedly ordered through Amazon Marketplace for $729. I panicked at first, since I had ordered no such thing, and worried that my account might have been hacked.

But there has been no charge for that or any other amount for a TV or anything else that I didn't actually buy. So I realized it was actually a phishing attempt. Had I responded, I would have been asked to supply my credit card info to "cancel" the order, I am quite sure. Thereby actually making myself the victim of identity theft that I thought I had become.

So I just forwarded it to Amazon and let it go.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, the fake PayPal ones want me to sign into my PayPal account through their email. Now, maybe it's just my suspicious nature, but that seems like a reaaaaally bad idea.

It's always for some company I've never heard of. I just use a separate window to go to my PayPal account, and there is no record of any of these transactions.

Re: Sarlon's post: I love this line...

If they call you and ask you the contents please tell them the same thing Ok.
        Yessir, that's some real professional wording, there. Just the way a bank president would express himself in a letter.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My husband still gets phony emails from Blizzard, telling him his World Of Warcraft account has been compromised and he needs to follow this link to retrieve his information. He hasn't played WoW in almost two years.

Comment

I hadn't played since just after Wrath was released. Didn't stop me from getting a deluge of phishing email about my Battle.net account being compromised pretty much every time a new expansion came out.

Then again, I get fished for games I've never even played, so...

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Anglesmith View Post
              My husband still gets phony emails from Blizzard, telling him his World Of Warcraft account has been compromised and he needs to follow this link to retrieve his information. He hasn't played WoW in almost two years.
              I get them for Diablo 3, and I have never played any form of Diablo online and have never had a Diablo account of any sort.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                New one just came in.

Subject: Chase Credit Cars Account

Now that is just sad.

^-.-^
                Well, was it sent through their automotive notification system? <_< >_> Maybe your vehicle needs its very own credit card, to pay for things!

Comment

Quoth Scorpodael View Post
                  Well, was it sent through their automotive notification system? <_< >_> Maybe your vehicle needs its very own credit card, to pay for things!
                  I really want to see my little Toyota go shopping with a MasterCard - without ME or Mom in the car.

That's a pathetic excuse for a scam right there. That's right there with those fake Amazon emails I was getting back in the spring informing me my order had been cancelled.

Not on your life, especially since this was in May and I had not ordered anything since December of 2011.

Three of them came within a week's span and all of them were forwarded to Amazon's anti-phising department.

And if I get anymore offers for penis enlargement (what a scam right there, epsecially since I'm FEMALE last time I looked,) I think I may scream. I think I counted at least 50 of those when cleaning out my spam folder this morning (and that was out of over 2000 emails - rest were either offering short term loans, credit cards or educational or car loans.)
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    I once got one for my ex airman stating that he and his unit were stuck in France and he needed some money. Only problem he was between tdy and heading back to base at the time and not the base the email was technically from.
                    hubby got that one ,saying that his friend he works with in radio (he's her online producer) was stuck in England and needed money. The thing was she'd just finshed her show when he got the the email and her studio has web cams while she broadcasts.(So he could physically see her and her surroundings.)

Comment

I think I got a single one of those scam emails a long time ago to one of my "junk" email addresses, I took a leaf out of one of my favorite old user-friendly comics and sent a response back to them, something along the lines of

Name: Cthulhu
                      Address: R'lyeh
                      Bank Account Number: I don't have one, but can I interest you in an elder sign?

Strangely I never heard back from them.
                      Violets are blue,
                      Roses are red,
                      I bequeath to thee...
                      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
                      X