This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrabble Geek Insanity

BACKGROUND: I've been playing Scrabble all my life, as has my whole family. Just as some boys remember clearly the first time they beat their dad at basketball, I remember clearly the first time I beat my Mom at Scrabble. My ex-fiance was the best Scrabble player I've ever seen, and we enjoyed playing that game a lot. I even enjoyed it despite her constantly winning. And no, I didn't LET her win....she was so damn good that I didn't need to. Nor would I have...both of us are very competitive people.

All that being said, I play Scrabble a lot on my Kindle. If nothing else, it keeps me in practice for when I actually play someone live. And today, something magical happened.

I got the highest score I remember ever getting in a Scrabble game (509), but even more than that, I got the highest score on a single word I've EVER had. I don't even need to think if I remember it, I know I've never scored this high.

The word's score? 212. Two hundred twelve freakin' points on a single freakin' word. I about shit myself.

The word? On a P that was already on the board, I placed EXPORTED. The O was on a Double Letter square. The word stretched across two Triple Word squares. And I used all seven tiles, so it was a bingo. Did I mention that I about shit myself?

My only regret is that this was not in live play against another person. Because that is the kind of play that could crush the opposition. The kind of play that both players remember for a long, long time.

I still remember one time when I beat my ex-fiance. She was winning the whole game, and then on my last play, I had a triple word bingo for a ridiculous score (somewhere around the 90-110 point range) to both end and win the game. She just stared at the board for a few moments in stunned silence....it was classic.

Today's score was equally awesome, other than the lack of a live opponent of course. I'm still geekily giddy about it.

So....any other Scrabble geek stories out there?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I think my highest score for a single word is 96. Jonesed - I had the letters in my starting set and went first.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

'grats Jester! I don't think I've ever hit the 200's.

My aunt is a rather snooty, well-educated, upper-crust Bostonian. Although civil enough over the years, she always kind of looked down on my mom, her older sister. Problem? Mom trounced her at just about everything. Jeopardy on TV (Art Fleming!), crosswords, and, worst of all, Scrabble. Eventually I was allowed to play, and did middlin' good for a kid, then teen. Occasional wins, lotta losses.

Then came the last game.

Auntie had done tolerably well and was leading by a comfortable margin. She was a bit smug about it too. Play was winding down and I was stuck with a W for a few rounds. Then I drew the R. I cast about while others played and there it was. Just the right distance apart, spanning a trip, AND hooking another play. Problem? I was playing with my Aunt, my mom, and my GRANDMOTHER! I broached it as delicately as I could: "um. I have a play. I know it's in the dictionary, but it's kind of a bad word...." Mom grinned, G'mom sipped her sherry, and Auntie said that if I was confident, I should play it.

So out came W-H-O-R-E.

I don't think the triple word alone did it, but squeezing that W in front of someone else's "HERE" turned the tide and prim-and-proper got smoked. We never played as a family again.

Probably not my highest, or best, but certainly my most satisfying.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
        I think my highest score for a single word is 96.
        Quoth sms001 View Post
        I don't think I've ever hit the 200's.
        I have broken 100 in the past, but only very, very rarely. Always a happy moment when I do. 110 or so is the highest I remember, maybe even 130, not sure. But 212? I was stunned.

Hell, my average bingo goes for 65-85 or so!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Scrabble is my favorite game, and I'm pretty good at it. I rarely find people willing to play me any more. *pouts*

However, I have never had a word that awesome. Grats!

Comment

I should have done this in the OP, but I have to admit that there was some luck with that word: I had two blanks. That being said, I've had two blanks before and never had anything like THAT, but I feel I should point that out. Then again, for me to have done that without two blanks would have also been rather lucky....

Still A Customer."

Comment

I don't suppose they've gotten around to making Super Scrabble (the version that uses a 21x21 board, 200 titles (with four blanks and TEN S's), and quadruple letter/word squares) leagues/tournaments have they?

Comment

Tonight...

Joey 110 point

Comment

use to play against Mom too. of course we also had our own rule that said we could trade letters.

i got her to trade with me and then put "pudendum" on the board, iiirc. i don't remember what it got me except that got the 50 point bonus for using all 7 letters.

Comment

Working...
                  X