This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP:

I have nowhere near your patience, nor brain-to-mouth filter. I definitely would have popped off with something along the lines of, "Make your grandson get himself a job, and make him pay the repairs himself, and don't let him drive again until then".

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
      Dad took one look at it and found a Nitrous Oxide system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous) in the car (hence why it was running rough) it was a Honda with no engine mods other than the Nitrous system.
      A.) That destroys the engine.
      B.) Is he trying to kill himself?

I can understand trying to help the kid out. I'm 20 years old and my parents still help me. I'd never be able to afford it completely on my own. I bought the car with my own money. I pay for the majority of the insurance ($1,200 a year). But I've needed $1,000 in repairs from my last crash (some tool decided to start swerving around, so the guy in front of me slammed on his breaks and apparently mine were too worn down to handle it). Another $1,000 for catalytic converter problems. You get the idea.

But I hate these people who feel they are entitled to whatever they want. One of my friends got a BRAND NEW BMW for her 17th birthday. She traded it in for a Mercedes Benz because she didn't like it.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Titchyboy View Post
        reminds me of something i overheard in the pub a few years ago. Group of posh-ish students talking

Studants #1: So did your dad get you that car?
        Studdent #2: Yeah but i told him i wanted it in blue and it was red so i told him to take it back

I ended up spitting beer all over the table
        OMG I heard the same thing when I was in college!!! But daddy wouldnt take it back. Pissed me off so bad cuz I was struggling with two jobs and a full school load.

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
          I really felt bad during this call because the woman was obviously very distressed. What I really wanted to say was: “Okay ma’am, here’s what you should do. Make your grandson get a job and pay for the repair himself. I guarantee that you will not have this problem again.”
          That's one that you ask your manager if you can do. Because some teens just need that dose of reality.

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
            Customers want us (on behalf of the manufacturer) to pay for it because their precious grandson (who’s 20 btw) would never race his car, besides there’s no race tracks anywhere in the county (what, like any straight stretch of road wouldn’t suffice?)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Oh, bloody hell, that reminds me of my grandmother! She thinks I'm a saint!!! If she knew 1/20th of the stuff I've done in and out of a car, she'd twitch a couple of times and pass out! Oh bless her heart!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Quoth iradney View Post
            My parents bought me my first car. It's second hand, and I have to pay for it's insurance, gas and upkeep. Ten years later, I'm still driving it.
            Kudos to you for knowing a good thing when you have it.

My folks never bought me shit. They gave me a car that they had when I turned 16(they bought it new in '78), I hated it, didn't appreciate it at all, and wrecked it. My dad told me to buy my own damn car if I wanted another one. I did, and I appreciated it a lot more than the first one. I wrecked it too, but that's another story.

Quoth iradney View Post
            I know a kid who'se parents bought them a brand new "IT" (must have gotta have blah blah blah) car. She's not responsible for any of it's expenses. She rolled it about a month later. And is now complaining coz her parents aren't buying her the NEXT "IT" car.
            What a bitch. I get so pissed when I see these little shits driving around in cars I can't afford, and I make good money! If I ever have kids(HAHAHAHAHAHA.....never), I don't care if I have Bill Gates money, they buy their own damn car.

Quoth iradney View Post
            I want to slap her.
            So do I.
            Last edited by Broomjockey; 03-12-2008, 01:53 AM. Reason: multi-quote
            I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              I know a kid who'se parents bought them a brand new "IT" (must have gotta have blah blah blah) car. She's not responsible for any of it's expenses. She rolled it about a month later. And is now complaining coz her parents aren't buying her the NEXT "IT" car.
              I can top that: I went to high school with a kid who got a brand new Camaro convertible - because he kept getting in accidents in his brand new Lincoln Navigator.

Quoth bobsentme
              I knew someone in Highschool who got a brand new Z71 pickup.
              2 weeks later, he slammed it into a telephone pole trying to race his buddy.
              Almost killed his passenger.
              The only kid who even challenged me to a race (which I declined), paralyzed himself from the waist down in a single car accident. I never found out he was driving his H2 or his other car.
              My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

Quoth redmountaingoldfish View Post
                I can top that: I went to high school with a kid who got a brand new Camaro convertible - because he kept getting in accidents in his brand new Lincoln Navigator.
                A Camaro? Great choice for someone who doesn't understand the consequences of their actions and thinks they will live forever..........

Quoth redmountaingoldfish View Post
                The only kid who even challenged me to a race (which I declined), paralyzed himself from the waist down in a single car accident. I never found out he was driving his H2 or his other car.
                How stupid are these parents?

Buy the little entitled bastards a Kia Rio if you must buy them a car! High horsepower and/or high luxury are not for children!!!!! GAH!!

Of course, a low powered shitbox can still maim or kill. A friend of mine from HS rolled his Geo Storm and is now a quad.
                I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Did no one learn from Marty McFly's example? Don't race your car or you'll wreck and ruin your guitar playing hand!
                  ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

A friend of mine was going through an intersection near her high school when an expensive SUV plowed through the red light at 50 mph and slammed her car into another one. Three car pile up in the middle of a busy intersection right after school let out...one lady pulled over and started pulling the girl out of the other car that got hit and calling 911. No one was hurt, thank $deity, but the idiot in the SUV tried to tell the cops it was my friend's fault. He t-boned her after running a red at 50 mph and it was somehow not his fault. Remember the lady who stopped to help? Witnessed the whole thing, and is on the board of directors for their school. That defense didn't get far.

The kid's dad paid for the three girls' (my friend, my friend's passenger, and the other driver) ambulance rides and ER checkups, and replaced the two totaled cars out of pocket. My friend actually traded up for a car about $2k more than her old one. And the guy whose idiocy almost killed four people? Seen a week later driving a nicer, newer version of the car he totaled. At least the director got him suspended from his sports team; some sort of conduct clause in the athletes' contract.
                    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy
                      Kudos to you for knowing a good thing when you have it.
                      thanks It's a tradition in my family that the parents buy you your first car. You wreck it? Toughies.
                      I may be a spoiled brat, but I'm an appreciative spoilt brat, dang nabbit!
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        :It's a tradition in my family that the parents buy you your first car.
                        Your parents looking to adopt soon?

"Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

Quoth Bobsentme View Post
                          Your parents looking to adopt soon?

LOL! Sure, but I'd better still be the youngest!!!
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                            I have a better solution: take his fucking keys and throw them in a lake.

That sounds like excellent council.
                            I'm evidently too stupid to see why these people have a problem. He's twenty. Why can't he buy/fix his own car?

Comment

Quoth Titchyboy View Post
                              reminds me of something i overheard in the pub a few years ago. Group of posh-ish students talking

Studants #1: So did your dad get you that car?
                              Studdent #2: Yeah but i told him i wanted it in blue and it was red so i told him to take it back

I ended up spitting beer all over the table
                              You gotta be kidding! What a spoiled brat! My friend N told us this story from his high school days. The high school he and my fiancé went to is a public school known for having their share of well off and rich kids,granted of course with the middle and lower middle class kids. One kid got a brand spanking new Miata from his dad and had the utter NERVE to complain about it because it wasn't to his liking. So, N goes up to that spoiled rich brat and WHAM! N punches that spoiled rich brat in the face and yelled at him about his attitude. N expected to have the spoiled rich brat's dad give hell about it,but instead he PRAISED N for what he did!
                              Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM.
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                                If she knew 1/20th of the stuff I've done in and out of a car, she'd twitch a couple of times and pass out! Oh bless her heart!!
                                <looks around>

Guilty. I used to race my old stock S-10 (four cylinder engine) on the country roads near home after school. I used to enjoy beating the tar out of guys with fast cars that didn't know how to drive them on curvy/hilly roads, including one stretch where I could bury the needle on the spedometer if I cut the corner right going in. I was only ever beaten by another sort-of friend who helped his dad recondition old Mustangs (rebuilt his own first car from a salvaged junker, an old Mustang, Cobra I think) and knew the area as well as I did. Sometimes I can't believe how stupid we were back then, cutting corners on blind curves and crazy speeds.
                                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X