This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I an SC?

I went shopping for clothes today, first time in months. Most of the nicer clothes that I did not wear I donated and gave away - but the new job I have dictates Business style clothing.

So...trotted my behind to the Goodwill thrift store here (this is a posh neighborhood - great pickings!) and found a few things.

Just before checkout, I realized I needed to get rolling, I had a dr.'s appointment at 3:15 pm. I had to get moving.

I put my clothes on the counter, and the cashier behind the counter was taking her time, and talking to a co-worker about 10,000 BC; the new movie. I said, "Ma'am, I have to go." Quietly, politely.

She then shut her trap, stopped talking to co-worker, he walked away, and she put the clothes in the bag (rumpled), and just was pouty overall.

Was I wrong on calling her on it? How could I do it better?

cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

It doesn't sound sucky to me, you were polite about it. Sucky would have been huffing and puffing and making a scene IMO.

Comment

No you were not an SC.

On a 1-10 scale of Suck
      With a 1 being non sucky and 10 being a Sucky Customer

I am giving you a 1.
      Last edited by powerboy; 03-16-2008, 05:38 AM.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

No suckyness at all there. She's at work, she should do the job for which she is being paid.

Once done, resume chatting.

It's so easy.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Yeah - it annoys the crap out of me when those who are supposed to be helping or serving you are going on and on with their personal conversations - and taking their sweet time with what they're paid to do...

Even if I'm at work and my co-workers want to do that with me, I usually shut up til between customers....

After all - is it really any different to a customer being on a mobile as they go through checkout?

I'd go with Suck Rating 2 - cos you could have said 'Excuse me, I'm in bit of a hurry' - which would then have sent her Suck Rating as Employee up from only 7 to about an 8.5 (not to mention it might have triggered her guilt meter as well :P)
          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

I still say NO suckiness here on the OP's part. A customer shouldn't have to say a word to the cashier for them to start.

Frankly, as long as a cashier is ringing up my items and their personal conversation doesn't make me want to puke ... go right ahead and keep talking. But, definitely do your job when I walk up with my cash in hand.

And, thinking about it ... PLEASE talk about personal things with your friends while I'm there. It means that you can't give me any of those stupid scripts that corporate requires you to say. We'll BOTH be happier because of that.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

sucky would be if there was a long line and you demanded service first because you had somewhere to be.

You could have said it nicer, but I don't see anything wrong with what you said.

Comment

I don't think you were in the wrong. I mean, the cashier needed to do her job and I am sure that did not incude reviewing a movie with a coworker while a customer stood there waiting.

To be sucky would to have not said anything at all but rather huff and puff and tap your feet. You were quick, polite, and to the point.

I've been to stores before where the cashier never put down their cell phone. It was clearly a personal conversation - because I could hear every word of it....no eye contact, no "how are you". I mean, there are just somethings, after being in customer service for years, that you can expect from being on the other side of the counter.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

At one of my first jobs, we were warned about talking to our colleagues while waiting on customers, but the situation was a little different. Each employee wrote up a sale, but there was only one register, so if it was busy, we had to wait in line to ring up our sales.

Boss lady pointed out: A line of people women quietly behind one another looks like employees waiting to use the cash register.

A line of women standing and talking looks like...a line of women standing and talking.

You were reasonable. If she had carried on her conversation while waiting on you, you wouldn't have had to say anything.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                    You were reasonable. If she had carried on her conversation while waiting on you, you wouldn't have had to say anything.
                    I agree couldnt she mult-task? Or better yet include you in the conversation. It sounds stupid but we do it and it brings in repeat business. Also its always intresting to see what customers have to say some days.

Comment

I got the impression that the cashier was ringing things up. But because she was paying more attention to the conversation than the job, she was moving at glacial speed.

My vote is suckyness on the cashier's side. No excuse for not paying more attention to the job than the conversation.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X