Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick one, wherein I lose my temper...

Sigh. Been a while since I've had something really post-worthy...but had this one tonight, and it annoyed me. Background info, at night all the entries into our hotel lock automatically. The side entrances are key-access only to begin with, but the front doors lock as well. Naturally, there are numerous, easily noticeable signs that mention that all you need to do is A) use your guest key, or B) pick up the phone, which contacts the front desk, so you can identify yourself. This has always been a bit of a loose system, but a while back, one of our hotels had a night auditor who let someone in without checking on him or getting any info, and the guy came in with a gun and blew his head off. So, naturally, the company is being a stickler on this particular rule right now, and we can't just let people come wandering in whenever we like.

Queue tonight, SC and SCD (Sucky Customer's Daughter) come back to the hotel; daughter had a key, but was struck with a sudden bout of illiteracy, and thus could not get in. I wasn't standing right at the desk, so I wasn't even in the area - had SCD picked up the house phone, it would've rang to the cordless phone I had with me, and I could've walked her through it using slow words. But alas...

After a few minutes, she got her mother, SC, who figured out the door and let them in...and then came to the front desk to complain.

SC: I want to know why my daughter, 17 years old, was ignored at the door and not let in.
    Me: Did she use her key on the door? Or pick up the phone there?
    SC: Well I did, because I'm an adult, but she's 17, clearly you can see that.
    Me: I can right now, now that I'm here, yes. When I'm not at the front desk, it is quite a bit harder to detect her presence, much less physical description.
    SC: Well I think you should use some discretion when you can obviously see she is 17, with a dance team jacket on!!!
    Me: O...k, however, we've just established that I was not here at the desk at the time, and she neither used her key, as told to do so in the sign on the door, nor did she pick up the phone, as told to do so in the sign on the door. So, since column A and column B are both marked negatives, we can't exactly know that she was standing there, now could we?
    SC: But you should simply let people in! They come to your front door as guests, and you just lock us out!?
    Me: Well, we might have been less stringent in the past. That was before someone wandered in to one of our hotels and blew the night auditor's head off. So yes, we lock the door until someone comprehends the sign on the door.
    SC: HOW DARE YOU!? You can't just say that to me!!
    Me: Oh, I'm sorry, did you want to be the only person being rude in this conversation? That door swings both ways. Now go upstairs and think about what you've done; this conversation is over.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I walked away and left her sputtering. I'll probably get in trouble later, but fuck it...if she can't understand that I'm neither omniscient nor omnipresent, then I'll put very real stock in the fact that she probably has the memory of an ambulatory fungus. Or maybe not. I'm beyond caring any more...

"That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

WTF? If I'm reading this right momma is saying her 17yo daughter is both incapable of using a key _AND_ pushing a button? And she's incapable of realizing that if nobody's at the desk and she doesn't push a button no on knows you're there?

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again: They expect us to be psychic, but psi powers only work if we can find a brain to scan...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
        Naturally, there are numerous, easily noticeable signs that mention that all you need to do is A) use your guest key, or B) pick up the phone, which contacts the front desk, so you can identify yourself.
        Aliteracy strikes again! And of course it's all your fault.

I wonder how many of the world's problems would be solved it people would stop, read the directions and think about what they're doing?
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

A problem I told nobody about did not get fixed, and I would like an explanation....

Because you didn't TELL us

WHAT? That's NOT MY JOB!!!

It's amazing how many times you can ride that loop with an SC and never get them to see where the problem occurred, isn't it?
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

What does her age have to do with her ability to read? I mean, sure I could see if it she were two years old, but at 17 years old she should be able to do some reading. Oh, wait, if it's not on Facebook, it doesn't count does it?
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              What does her age have to do with her ability to read? I mean, sure I could see if it she were two years old, but at 17 years old she should be able to do some reading. Oh, wait, if it's not on Facebook, it doesn't count does it?
              You're also operating on the assumption that FB is well regarded for their proper grammar and punctuation.

I must've missed that day in HS English where Can I haz was considered proper grammar . . .

Of course when I was 17 I could not only figure out most things for myself, but either I'm some sort of mutant or today's generation of teens aren't taught independent thought.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                I get this a lot in my job (Customer Service for a company that administers testing to college bound high school juniors and seniors). Parents will often let their kids take care of the paperwork involved to "teach them responsibility" and - kids being kids - they will often miss (ignore) important deadlines and have annoying things happen.

Que some variation of this phone call:

Parent: "How come you didn't tell my precious spawn that X/Y/Z was going to happen?"

Me: "We actually sent 6 email notifications, had a Robocall and posted full screen notifications on our website."

Parent: "But they're just kids! How can you expect them to read and/or pay attention and/or being responsible?!"
                Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

So her mom was also outside the hotel? Wow, I'm SHOCKED that she was out of sight of her helpless 17 year old child. What if the girl had encountered a small crack in the sidewalk, or a wet area on the floor? WHAT THEN?

And I hate that SC mentality. Something not perfect. Feel angry. Find employee. Yell until feel better.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry, did you want to be the only person being rude in this conversation?
                    I'm going to remember this one!!!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If your 17 year old can't figure out how to follow the instructions to get into the building, they are probably not responsible and intelligent enough to be allowed out of your sight.
                      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

A new "They're not smart, are they?" phrase: Too dumb to get into a building with instructions on the door.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                          If your 17 year old can't figure out how to follow the instructions to get into the building, they are probably not responsible and intelligent enough to be allowed out of your sight.
                          This. this. this. this. thisthisthisthis.

I mean, seriously folks!!!!!
                          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                          What's the difference?
                          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth wheeitsmee View Post
                            A new "They're not smart, are they?" phrase: Too dumb to get into a building with instructions on the door.
                            Brings this to mind...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	schoolforthegifted.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2030528
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Updates, I didn't get in trouble (she didn't even complain the next morning somehow), so that was nice. Not even a bad review online anywhere. So yay.

"That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                              "What IS fun to fight through?"
                              "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                              X