Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to do mine and hubby's until he and my brother took over my Dad's business, now I just give all the paperwork to the CPA.
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I used to do mine when I was single with no dependents or anything to deduct. Now I'm married, and I own a house with a mortgage, and up until a couple years ago, I had a dependent. I'm afraid if I try to do it myself, I'm going to screw myself out of some money.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        I used to do mine when I was single with no dependents or anything to deduct. Now I'm married, and I own a house with a mortgage, and up until a couple years ago, I had a dependent. I'm afraid if I try to do it myself, I'm going to screw myself out of some money.
        There's really not much to it. The tax program asks you about all the deductions, and when you answer yes to having a mortgage, asks you for information from your 1099 the bank sent you. There's a similar process for all the other deductions.

The only time things get a little tricky is with business returns. If you don't have a business or complicated stock sales, personal taxes are almost always pretty straightforward with a computer doing the work for you.

Give it a try this year... I don't believe any of the online software charges you until you want to print or file. Simply compare the results the paid preparer gives you with what the online site says you end up with.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
          I really don't understand why so many people (especially those well in 1040-EZ-land) pay somebody to do their taxes.
          I get my share of those. Most simply want the assurance that nothing was missed or don't have the time or inclination to bone up on tax law changes.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

That's why, when I was still working, I always had my taxes done. I didn't want to screw up, miss something, and get in trouble.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I can understand that piece of mind plays into it too, I don't want to get them wrong, but remember, doing so only means you get a letter saying something to the effect of "you didn't pay enough, please remit the difference as we've calculated it"

You don't get "in trouble" in the legal sense of, "see you in court and we're garnishing you're grandkids future paychecks as we speak" unless you DELIBERATELY and EGREGIOUSLY do it wrong, hoping they don't notice, and when they do, you pretend you can't hear them....
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Then you can pay the extra fee and if they do it wrong, it's their own damn fault and THEY have to pay for the mistake.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                X